No announcement yet.

1992 fzr 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL, I have two 1-gallon cans of the Berryman's carb dip. One of them has been in use for a few years now, the other was on sale so I grabbed it for down the road.

I have also found a Pine-Sol/water mix does a good job.

I made a Sonic cleaner with a 2 gallon plastic tote and a vibratory case cleaner I use for cleaning rifle and pistol cases. Used the Pine-Sol /water mix that way and brought back a number of sets of various carbs.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
      I hope we get to follow along and see the bike running at XSSE / Vintage Yamaha

Brian
      Brian,
      I hope you will get a chance to TAKE IT FOR A SPIN!!! You are absolutely welcome to borrow the keys IF I can get it to the rally..... If it is at the rally it will be 100% safe to ride with all systems working properly.

There is a lot of work ($$$$) to get this one ready and I was already working on the '79 XS11 Pensacola which is getting CLOSE to completion. Now I may have to choose between this or the XS11 as it is impossible both can be ready for the rally. I generally bring a new project completion every year for the last five years and I don't want to break the trend.

If the FZR is there, it is EXTREMELY unlikely It will be re-painted. That PEARL WHITE is gonna be a bugger.

Last year was the SECA 650 ya'll voted best in show.....

KURT
      Last edited by kboehringer; 06-05-2019, 01:05 AM.
      Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
      1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
      1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
      2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

First Ride on the Briggs & Stratton FZR

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
        I'm afraid it might be your turn to schedule an appointment with Tennessee officer Randy Huckabee.
        I would agree!!!! Can he catch this? See Video

https://youtu.be/Laeagc_4gAs

Done SEVERAL repairs already and the bike runs VERY well (see video). I can't imagine what it will be like when it actually runs 100% CORRECTLY!

Get ready for your test ride Brian.... This one moves fast!!!

The tank has been repaired (POR degreaser, metal prep, POR-15 Liner) but I can't put gas in it for FOUR(4) days or the liner will fail.... SO, not one to wait, I zip tied the Brigs' & Stratton tuning tank to the air intake assy and took off for a ride. Only went about 1/2 mile (no tag yet so that was more than enough).

This thing will smoke the tires with barely a snap of the throttle.
        Kurt Boehringer
        Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

That bike is running flat slides, yes? The sound in the video seems unmistakable to me. Gosh, I love that bike from when I was a kid and that test ride clip is making me think what my next bike project will be when I am able to...
          Last edited by Bonz; 06-09-2019, 06:24 PM.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Mikuni 38mm

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
            That bike is running flat slides, yes?

YES.
            These are pretty advanced compared to the XS11 and at 10+ years newer that should be expected. 38mm Downdraft's with that leaning forward head.
            Kurt Boehringer
            Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
            1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
            1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post

YES.
              These are pretty advanced compared to the XS11 and at 10+ years newer that should be expected. 38mm Downdraft's with that leaning forward head.
              I’ve never owned flat slides but love the response from the times I’ve ridden them. Your right wrist becomes the carburetor diaphragm.
              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Jeepers, my Vmax can't do that!
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Lol lol

Jeepers, my Vmax can't do that!
                  You know it can, and then some! I've seen those bikes tear their tires to pieces in YouTube videos.

This is the first bike I've owned with this kind of power.....

I, all of the sudden, have a higher level of respect for the throttle. Same for that monster VMax I assume?
                  Kurt Boehringer
                  Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                  1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                  1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

You know it can, and then some! I've seen those bikes tear their tires to pieces in YouTube videos.

This is the first bike I've owned with this kind of power.....

I, all of the sudden, have a higher level of respect for the throttle. Same for that monster VMax I assume?
                    I assume they are holding the brake in those burnout videos.

I have learned to be careful applying the Vmax throttle in the curves!!! My steering bearing are still too loose after servicing,...and twice I got into a scary wobble in the curves by breaking loose the rear tire.

Right now I'm replacing the the 1990 rear tire and tightening the steering bearings again, among other things.

I have already replaced the 1985 front tire.

These old monsters are a lot of fun. I couldn't resist the 0-100 MPH on the V65 several times over the weekend.

I expect to hear more reports as you get that ol' FZR back on the road.
                    Last edited by Radioguylogs; 06-10-2019, 10:24 AM.
                    -Mike
                    _________
                    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Pirelli Stock Holder.......

Right now I'm replacing the the 1990 rear tire ... SNIP.....
                      I have already replaced the 1985 front tire.
                      Are we the only people that change our old tires? I see people riding on some pretty ugly rubber. We haven't got but two wheels and any tire over 7 years old is SUPPOSED to be/RECOMMENDED to be replaced regardless of how "Good it looks".

Personally, I should be buying stock in Pirelli.... I've got new Route 66 tires on all my XS 11's & XJ's, ANGEL GT's on my FJR, and whatever the best high speed rated Pirelli they have will be on the FZR.

KURT
                      Kurt Boehringer
                      Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Are we the only people that change our old tires? I see people riding on some pretty ugly rubber. We haven't got but two wheels and any tire over 7 years old is SUPPOSED to be/RECOMMENDED to be replaced regardless of how "Good it looks".

Personally, I should be buying stock in Pirelli.... I've got new Route 66 tires on all my XS 11's & XJ's, ANGEL GT's on my FJR, and whatever the best high speed rated Pirelli they have will be on the FZR.

KURT
                        I'm getting "tired" of wearing out a set and a half of Shinko 230's each summer. Do the Pirelli's last any longer? So jelous of Phil on his Dunlop Elites...they stick and they wear well, but don't fit the XS11e.
                        '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                        '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                        '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

dbbrian, I'd actually consider using the Conti Go variety, front and rear on that XS E model. Work perfect on my Venturer, and have a bit taller/wider profile than all the other brands/models, such as .015 clearance of driveshaft tube and front fills front fender area much better. Wet road handling in curves greatly improved as is straight line handling when road is wet and puddled…………..now, which is the best oil?
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Done SEVERAL repairs already and the bike runs VERY well (see video). I can't imagine what it will be like when it actually runs 100% CORRECTLY!

Get ready for your test ride Brian.... This one moves fast!!!

Watched video on the big screen with sound...cool!

Not so sure I'm your test pilot for THAT bike Kurt!
                            '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                            '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                            '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Pirelli Wear

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
                              I'm getting "tired" of wearing out a set and a half of Shinko 230's each summer. Do the Pirelli's last any longer?
                              Brian,
                              Honestly, my personal experience with multiple brands is very limited. As I re-entered the motorcycle hobby, 7-8 years ago after a fairly long period without a bike, I asked the advice of a trusted friend (Marty H. - JetMechMarty) on what I should be buying for my XS11.

Marty has driven everything on two wheels and probably every brand of tire. He felt the Pirelli Route 66 was: a fairly economical tire at only $20-30ea. more than the Shinko, it had good all-weather grip, better longevity than the Shinko offerings, and was well made. I have found nothing that contradicts Marty's suggestion.

I frequently hear people complaining about the longevity of the Shinko... it is very common. Honestly, NONE of my XS or XJ bikes have any real significant miles on them with these tires except the Ugly Duck (Green '80). I have probably about 5000-5500 miles (not sure what that is in your Canadian Kilometers - LOL! ) and the tires are starting to show some signs of light wear. I suspect another 1500+ miles is not out of the question for that bike before I start thinking about replacement.

I have heard, although I am not certain, the Route 66 is not available for the E's 1" taller rear tire? You'll have to check on that.

As a side note...... My 2016 FJR came with Bridgestone BattleAxe Tires (very expensive ) I did NOT drive overly aggressive with those tires being new to that big machine. Those tires were GARBAGE at less than 5000 miles! I replaced those tires with Pirelli Angel GT-A Spec tires and immediately the difference (not just because the old tires were shot)I saw was a vastly improved handling and response that the brand new Bridgestone did not come close to providing. The bike felt completely different....BETTER!

I strongly recommended a Pirelli tire, regardless of the individual variety selected for your "E".

Kurt
                              Kurt Boehringer
                              Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                              1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                              1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

KURT
                                Running a 1990 tire and joking about having already replaced the 1985 tire is just not smart. Don’t want that near anyone on any kind a ride I’m a part of.

Angel GT is a good tire. Got 7,500 miles out of the rear on my ZRX 1200 and almost 12,000 out of the front. The Angel GT 2 recently came out with supposedly better treadwear and of course handling.

However the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 three is going to get me close to 10,000 miles on the rear of my ZRX 1200. Just ordered another RS 3 rear as the front is wearing very well and should go for most of another rear tire before it needs replaced.

The FZR is a powerful bike and the flat slides make the response so instantaneous it adds to that feeling.

My ZRX is putting down over 85 foot pounds and close to 150 horses as it sits with the modifications, engine work etc. It’s over 70 foot pounds of torque from 2,500 RPM-10,500 rpm.

My point being it is a torquey son-of-a-gun and the RS 3 might be worth trying if you want a sharp handling and long wearing set of tires. Assuming they make them in the sizes for the FZR. No question they last longer than the Angel GT by at least a few thousand miles on the ZRX.

Anyway some food for thought with other tires.
                                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X