Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first real customer for bike build of old school hardtail bobber.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

been busy

so i have been busy with work and finally got to finish the bike. the paint job is just primer black, the owner is going to paint it himself. but here is is my creation. i will post more pics once he paints it.

what do you guys think?
    xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

Comment

I know you put a lot of hard work into this bike and you also had restraints from your customer.
      Take everything I say with a grain of salt simply cause you should. I do not particularily care for the way the tractor or dirt bike style tires, many do just not me.
      I also think the right front fork looks totally out of place with the brake attachments or whatever in place. A quick grind and polish would have knocked them off and look much better.
      The battery looks like it was an after thought rather than being essential to the bike. Oh yeah and just seeing header wrap makes me cringe.
      I am not yet certain if I like the tank or not, something is bugging me about the way it follows the frame but does not work with the engine.
      I do like the way you have made the fuel level work and that is pretty cool.
      As I say it is just not my style but many will Love it. Nice job that you are able to do all that you have shown and please do not take my criticisms the wrong way. I am jealous of your abilities.
      When it is painted etc it may change how it looks as anyone who watches a chopper build show will know. The final product is yet to be seen.
      Congrats on getting it done.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

tires

yeah i dont like the tires, and quite a few other things but it what the customer wanted, and he loves it. he said that everything was exactlly the way he pictured it and wouldnt change a thing. gotta give them what they want if they are paying. but yeah there are a few things that arent quite my taste but, i still think it turned out to be one kick ass bike.
        xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Those carbs look familiar....lol. I like it but you know that. Ive seen your detail work on the fab and really like it. You could make a game out it like Wheres Waldo for someone to find the extra rear sprocket. There are things that I would change like a crazy metalic 70's style paint job, and the rims and tires it came with its just a little low now. I like it and cant wait to get started on mine.
          1979 XS1100 Special. Nicely modified.
          1977 KZ1000 needs everything!
          1971 CB750 Nice Restomod Completed
          1972 CB750 Got it going after 30 years. Getting turned into a old school bobber. Working on a title.

SOLD-1981 XS1100H What got me on this site.
          1980ish virago 535. Room mate left it for rent money. lol.
          1980 XS850 almost stock 20k miles.
          1979 XS750 Parts bike no title.
          1979 XS750 Cafe running,someone else can enjoy it.
          RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

and it needs a 6 on it just cause yours has a 5 on it.
            1972 CB750 Got it going after 30 years. Getting turned into a old school bobber. Working on a title.

RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

Those carbs look familiar....lol. I like it but you know that. Ive seen your detail work on the fab and really like it. You could make a game out it like Wheres Waldo for someone to find the extra rear sprocket. There are things that I would change like a crazy metalic 70's style paint job, and the rims and tires it came with its just a little low now. I like it and cant wait to get started on mine.

RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

I think you got the fender/seat/tank proportions just right. Most are too bobbed for my taste.

Good looking bike overall just needs paint. The world does not need another flat black bobber!

I'm also anti header wrap from painful experience. There is no quicker way to rust out your expensive pipes. They are like mogwais. Don't get them wet!!!

Good on you for doing what you love.
                Living to EXcess.
                1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
                Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
                1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

Comment

Header wrap

Before I did the header wrap I sanded the exhaust and painted it with a high heat header paint to hopefully keep it from rusting under the wrap. I did a lot of research on it and found out about the rust problem. And painting the headers before warping them was my way of making it not rust under the wrap.
                  xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Originally posted by Nightengale View Post

what do you guys think?
                    Is there a video somewhere of what this exhaust sounds like? I'm thinking about doing something very similar with mine...
                    >>Insert clever statement here<<

Comment

• video

Originally posted by JRealHEMC View Post
                      Is there a video somewhere of what this exhaust sounds like? I'm thinking about doing something very similar with mine...
                      I just got the back from the guy I built the bike for. Think I'm gonna buy it back from him. I built that bike about 3 years ago. He only rode it about 4 tines. So I have to get it right then I'll make a video. It sounds pretty tough
                      xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

• Questions:
                        1. Was that one whole 2 to 1 collector AND tip assembly, or did you connect them separately?
                        2. Where did you find it/how much?
                        3. If I cut the header right after where it's already connected & leave that factory connection instead of cutting the header into 4 pipes, would I still have a round end to put a tip over in place of the muffler I'm cutting off? (Did that make sense??)

Comment

• I used the factory 4 into 2 exhaust and just cut it right about where the chrome tip starts. And I used a 2 1/4 inch diameter auto exhaust tip from autozone. And welded the two together they were exactly the same diameter.
                          xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

• Originally posted by Nightengale View Post
                            I used the factory 4 into 2 exhaust and just cut it right about where the chrome tip starts. And I used a 2 1/4 inch diameter auto exhaust tip from autozone. And welded the two together they were exactly the same diameter.
                            So you're saying you didn't cut the header into 4 pieces you basically just cut the muffler off & the hole left was 2 1/4"?

Comment

• yes

Originally posted by JRealHEMC View Post
                              So you're saying you didn't cut the header into 4 pieces you basically just cut the muffler off & the hole left was 2 1/4"?
                              Yes that is correct
                              xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

• Originally posted by Nightengale View Post
                                Yes that is correct
                                Hi Nightengale,
                                where you cut and what's left to deal with depends on where the rust stops and the good metal starts.
                                I had to cut my XS11SG's back to half-way through the 2 into 1 connection each side to get back to good metal.
                                Fixing that took cutting and shaping patches of sheet steel to weld in to get to a
                                round shape to start welding my Canadian Tire exhaust pipe connectors on.
                                Fred Hill, S'toon
                                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                                X