Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first real customer for bike build of old school hardtail bobber.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet man, but it might be a little difficult to tune with an oem muffler on one side and a wide open turnout on the other... :-)
    BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
    80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

funny

Originally posted by daveyg View Post
      Sweet man, but it might be a little difficult to tune with an oem muffler on one side and a wide open turnout on the other... :-)
      Thats funny
      xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

Comment

seat

finally got the seat in today and i think it is pretty cool but uncomfortable as hell.

first i had to make a place to mount the seat hinge and i came up with this.

it is actually part of the old rear sprocket, that i cut to fit where the part of the hinge mounts to the bike. the bad part about this is that once the seat is put on you cant see this unless you look really close. but i still think it turned out pretty cool.
        next are some pic of the seat actually mounted to the bike

i plan on getting alot done on the bike this weekend. will have some more pics as i go on.
        xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Originally posted by Nightengale View Post
          finally got the seat in today and i think it is pretty cool but uncomfortable as hell. - - -
          Hi John,
          but surely that's the concept of the entire machine?
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Dude that looks sweet! This build is inspiring me to go out and do something to my bikes.

Comment

John, I know it is hidden by the seat, and it is only a mental issue (I have lots of those) but there is something VERY UNNERVING about having a piece with gear teeth like that so close to the location of my dangling participles. If it were my bike, the first thing I would do was to grind those off and make that a smooth piece!!
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Dang man that is looking good!
                1979 XS1100 Special. Nicely modified.
                1977 KZ1000 needs everything!
                1971 CB750 Nice Restomod Completed
                1972 CB750 Got it going after 30 years. Getting turned into a old school bobber. Working on a title.

SOLD-1981 XS1100H What got me on this site.
                1980ish virago 535. Room mate left it for rent money. lol.
                1980 XS850 almost stock 20k miles.
                1979 XS750 Parts bike no title.
                1979 XS750 Cafe running,someone else can enjoy it.
                RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

little more done today

first thing i worked on today was the fuel sight tube, my buddy wanted to have a fuel sight tube on the bike so he could visually see how much fuel he had. this was a kit from lowbrow customs. i decided to run the hose in a slight curve since there are not alot of straight lines on this bike.

should i just run it in a straight line from one connector to the other or have the curve in it?

next i got the new headlight and fork ears installed today as well.

not to sure of the placement of the headlight, i can move the ears up or down i have two inches either way, let me know what you guys think.

i hope to get some more done tomorrow and will post the results of the days work.
                  Last edited by Nightengale; 04-20-2013, 11:27 PM.
                  xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Unless your going to match the curve of the tank, I would run it in a staight line. It will be more functional if it is in a straight line to vissually IMHO.

As to the headlight, I would ask the person your building it for. Its a matter of opinion where it goes, and since it is his bike, his opinion is the only one that really matters.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

battery box

i finished the battery box. it cost me a total of $5.00 to make it, i think it turned out pretty cool. it still needs to welded together, but this is the mock up to make sure everything fits. i tried to keep it simple to keep with the style of the bike, tomorrow i will get it mounted to the bike, then it is on to the fake oil tank to house all of the electronics.

here is the battery box.

xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

The circle track racer voice in my head says it needs more holes drilled in it... But that can be fixed after welding.

Comment

holes

I am going to drill some more holes in it, I am going to drill holes across the base.
                          xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Yes, along the base. My voices in my head agree. The top strap is drilled out enough.

Comment

The fuel site tube is cool. I think you should run it with the curve, but curve it the other way. You don't need to worry when it's full, but when it gets low, it would function better than if it were straight, and you would have a better look. I was thinking you could attach some type of aluminum fins to them that would look like a sprocket and keep the shape of the curve too, or maybe run them through a piece of aluminum tubing with holes cut in it, and there are the anodized hose fittings that you could use to dress up the fittings too.

I'd put some chrome cap nuts on the battery box, or you could look into decorative seat nuts to give a little extra detail. Those wing nuts look a touch too raw. I like the sprocket, even if you can't see it, it's the small details everywhere that you see when you are not looking that sets it apart. Headlights look better to me mounted lower than higher, if that helps. The bike is looking cool.

I hope I don't sound too opinionated, I'm just feeling your project and trying to contribute.
                              "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

more work done

got the battery box welded up and mounted to the bike.

i also got the other exhaust tip welded on and painted the part of the exhaust that will be wrapped painted black before i wrap the pipes. i also got the header portion of the exhaust wrapped.

i still need to wrap from the collector to where the paint stops.
                                xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Working...
                                X