Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first real customer for bike build of old school hardtail bobber.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it! I need to save some change and just have you come build mine. lol.
    1979 XS1100 Special. Nicely modified.
    1977 KZ1000 needs everything!
    1971 CB750 Nice Restomod Completed
    1972 CB750 Got it going after 30 years. Getting turned into a old school bobber. Working on a title.

SOLD-1981 XS1100H What got me on this site.
    1980ish virago 535. Room mate left it for rent money. lol.
    1980 XS850 almost stock 20k miles.
    1979 XS750 Parts bike no title.
    1979 XS750 Cafe running,someone else can enjoy it.
    RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

Originally posted by Nightengale View Post
      better side view

with pannel side view

weild this up and a little body work and paint and this tank will look like it was molded into the frame.
      Which then begs the question, how do you access the back hold down bolt? CZ

Comment

underside

i am going to fabricate a bracket that will make it so that it will bolt in from the underside. similar to how i did that tank mount on my bike. so that it will keep a really clean look, i am going to try to keep most of the mounts kind of hidden (ie. fender, tank, battery box and so on). the main thing that my friend really wants is for everything to be really clean and simple, not alot of clutter and to make it look like the bike came that way, not something that some one just bolted on a bunch of stuff. the funnest part of doing this is trying to make everything work together, and not look like something that was just thrown together.
        xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

Comment

help

Originally posted by cpmaynard1980 View Post
          I like it! I need to save some change and just have you come build mine. lol.
          like i told you anything i can do to help just let me know, i love doing this stuff.
          xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Hi Nightengale,
            looks like you are putting a load of thought, effort and man-hours into this job.
            Is your customer an eccentric millionaire or are you working for 17 cents an hour?
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

what do you guys think?

i was thinking since there will be that little void space under the rear of the tank i was wondering what it might look like to mount the starter button and kill switch to that pannel, and it will look like the starter button and kill switch are mounted to the tank itself, and make people wonder "how the hell did he do that?" Any ideas.
              xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

i was thinking since there will be that little void space under the rear of the tank i was wondering what it might look like to mount the starter button and kill switch to that panel, and it will look like the starter button and kill switch are mounted to the tank itself, and make people wonder "how the hell did he do that?" Any ideas.
                Hi Nightengale,
                don't install anything there that'll stick out to rip the rider's nuts off in a collision.
                Sub-surface pushbuttons or flush slider switches should work good and look neat.
                If you are bitched for space under there, small microswitches that work relays mounted someplace with more room would work.
                BTW, I understand that some States have strict laws about where a killswitch should be placed.
                As this build is designed to attract attention the local law is liable to be all over it looking for the least infringement.
                Last edited by fredintoon; 03-07-2013, 10:07 PM.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks for the advice but they're not so strict around here
                  xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                    Hi Nightengale,
                    looks like you are putting a load of thought, effort and man-hours into this job.
                    Is your customer an eccentric millionaire or are you working for 17 cents an hour?
                    no actually one of my good friends from high school, he is pretty big in the custom motorcycle scene. and since this is my first customer, i want everything just right so that he can tell all the guys he knows and who knows maybe something will come out of this. this is what i want to do for a full time job so whatever i can do to get it started i will. we will be taking this bike to a show this summer for garage built bikes, and see how it goes.
                    xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Good luck on the show. Your putting allot of time and effort along with thought process into it, and it shows!
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                        Good luck on the show. Your putting allot of time and effort along with thought process into it, and it shows!

Thanks for the encouragement
                        xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

[QUOTE=Nightengale;403348 - - - this is my first customer, i want everything just right so that he can tell all the guys he knows and who knows maybe something will come out of this. this is what i want to do for a full time job so whatever i can do to get it started i will. - - - [/QUOTE]

Hi John,
                          OK, it's a loss leader.
                          It's good that you follow your dream and I wish you all success but there are grim statistics that say 98% of new businesses fail within 2 years.
                          Until you are making $15 an hour atop of ALL expenses, don't quit your day job.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                            Hi John,
                            OK, it's a loss leader.
                            It's good that you follow your dream and I wish you all success but there are grim statistics that say 98% of new businesses fail within 2 years.
                            Until you are making $15 an hour atop of ALL expenses, don't quit your day job.
                            this is not something that i am going to jump into right away, right now i am still learning and want to keep on doing so. right now this is a way to earn extra money and also do something i love. this is evening and weekend stuff. i will do this like i started my tile business, part time until i have so much work that there is no more time for anything else. and i had that business for almost 10yrs, until the housing market did what it did. and the only way to get to that point (just like any business) is that you have to have a quality product at a fair price. thats why i am trying to do this so that anyone can have a custom bike and not spend an arm and a leg doing so. i have a friend of mine that has a custom bobber that he paid almost $30,000 for and when ever we go riding i have more comments and questions about my bike than he does about his and i only have about $1000 tied up in mine total.
                            xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Well, plus your time, which when it's a hobby, we figure was free.

When it's a business, it starts to add up pretty quick...

this is not something that i am going to jump into right away, right now i am still learning and want to keep on doing so. right now this is a way to earn extra money and also do something i love. this is evening and weekend stuff. i will do this like i started my tile business, part time until i have so much work that there is no more time for anything else. and i had that business for almost 10yrs, until the housing market did what it did. and the only way to get to that point (just like any business) is that you have to have a quality product at a fair price. thats why i am trying to do this so that anyone can have a custom bike and not spend an arm and a leg doing so. i have a friend of mine that has a custom bobber that he paid almost $30,000 for and when ever we go riding i have more comments and questions about my bike than he does about his and i only have about $1000 tied up in mine total.
                              Guy

1980 XS1100G - Frankenstein - resurrected from the impound lot
                              1991 Suzuki GS500E (not running yet)
                              2003 Burgman AN400 - Blue Belle
                              2005 Burgman AN400 - Silver Belle

Comment

You should build this.
                                http://www.chopperweb.info/forum/art...icle&artid=111
                                "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Working...
                                X