Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first real customer for bike build of old school hardtail bobber.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not at all

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
    The fuel site tube is cool. I think you should run it with the curve, but curve it the other way. You don't need to worry when it's full, but when it gets low, it would function better than if it were straight, and you would have a better look. I was thinking you could attach some type of aluminum fins to them that would look like a sprocket and keep the shape of the curve too, or maybe run them through a piece of aluminum tubing with holes cut in it, and there are the anodized hose fittings that you could use to dress up the fittings too.

I'd put some chrome cap nuts on the battery box, or you could look into decorative seat nuts to give a little extra detail. Those wing nuts look a touch too raw. I like the sprocket, even if you can't see it, it's the small details everywhere that you see when you are not looking that sets it apart. Headlights look better to me mounted lower than higher, if that helps. The bike is looking cool.

I hope I don't sound too opinionated, I'm just feeling your project and trying to contribute.
    no the reason i posted this here was to get feedback on what i was doing since everyone has different tastes and opinions and everyone looks at things a little different. all of this helps me to be a better builder, and see what people like and dont like.
    xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

Comment

Mostly thinking out loud but did you put any rubber type material on the bottom of the battery box or fit any to the top clamp to help dampen vibration? That will extend battery life on a bike a lot.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

good news

just got some really good news today from my buddy that i am building this bike for. he has been showing all of the update pics that i have been sending him (he is out of the country right now), to all of his friends. and one of his friends wants me to build him a bike as soon as i finish this one.
        xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

not yet

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
          Mostly thinking out loud but did you put any rubber type material on the bottom of the battery box or fit any to the top clamp to help dampen vibration? That will extend battery life on a bike a lot.
          its not on there now but when i built it i left room to put rubber on the bottom and top just for that reason. i know from my bike that with the hardtail you really need it.
          xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Great progress! I love wild builds like this!
            BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
            80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
              A big +! on that Rasputin! Something commonly overlooked with lead acid batteries. Added vibration flakes off the zinc plates building up in battery bottom till material level reaches plates, and results in shorted cells. This is a normal occurrance, but reducing that WILL extend battery life. My Honda ST's Exite battery is on its eighth year, and the XS's Interstate battery was replaced with new Interstate two years ago after 7+ years. Although it still load tested at reccomended load test specs, murphy's law says it would be fine............unless two hundred miles from no-where! BTW, no battery tenders allowed in this man-cave!.......just sayin'.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

sissy bar

worked on the sissy bar today had to take the one that my customer bought and make it work on the bike. first i had to cut the sissy bar at the point where it would fasten to the fender and weld on a piece of 1/2inch bar to be able to run a bolt through to attach to the fender. i then attached a length of square stock with a coupling nut to the bottom so that i could attach the sissy bar to the frame. i used a coupling nut at the base so that i could bolt it from the tire side, so as to give myself enough clearance at the sprocket. here is a pic of it attached but not bolted in, i still need to drill the holes in the fender, also i will cut the fender back a little so that it just sticks out past the sissy bar only a few inches. here is how it looks so far.

almost there just a few more things to button up and she will be ready for paint then the road.
                xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Originally posted by Nightengale View Post
                  worked on the sissy bar today - - - almost there just a few more things to button up and she will be ready for paint then the road.
                  Hi Nightengale,
                  nice job. The latest photos prompt me to ask, what are you using for a dust sheet?
                  several of the photos show you using what seems to be Fiberglass cloth for that purpose.
                  Do you know how expensive that stuff is these days? And how little debris it takes to make it unusable?
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                    Hi Nightengale,
                    nice job. The latest photos prompt me to ask, what are you using for a dust sheet?
                    several of the photos show you using what seems to be Fiberglass cloth for that purpose.
                    Do you know how expensive that stuff is these days? And how little debris it takes to make it unusable?
                    that is my welding blanket it is being used to cover the bike up when i am welding to protect the rest of the bike.
                    xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

that is my welding blanket it is being used to cover the bike up when i am welding to protect the rest of the bike.
                      Hi Nightingale,
                      it's that my son had just paid an appalling amount of money for a piece of glass cloth hardly big enough to make a real man a shirt and I'm, well, I'd say frugal but my wife says cheapskate.
                      Thus to see what appeared to be ~$100 worth of glass cloth used as a disposable debris shield came as a shock to me.
                      But to own a genuine welding blanket rather than using old cardboard? Ooh, that's posh!
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Harbor Freight

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                        Hi Nightingale,
                        it's that my son had just paid an appalling amount of money for a piece of glass cloth hardly big enough to make a real man a shirt and I'm, well, I'd say frugal but my wife says cheapskate.
                        Thus to see what appeared to be ~$100 worth of glass cloth used as a disposable debris shield came as a shock to me.
                        But to own a genuine welding blanket rather than using old cardboard? Ooh, that's posh!
                        I'm the same way too, I got the welding blanket. From Harbor Freight for under $10.
                        xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

cardboard

I did use cardboard when I built my bike, and started a fire. So now I use the welding blanket.
                          xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

I did use cardboard when I built my bike, and started a fire. So now I use the welding blanket.
                            Yeah, don't put carpet on your garage floor either... my oldest kid almost burned down his house....
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hi Nightengale,
                              um, damp cardboard?
                              OTOH, it's amazing what'll catch fire that you'd think wouldn't.
                              Steel wool for instance. Had me a great fiery tapdance on that one.
                              These days I'm real careful to sweep up all around before I switch on Mr. Sparky.
                              BTW, scary tale:- Ed Olson had no feeling in his legs after he got sick but insisted helping out around the shop.
                              Had to quit welding after he set his boots on fire and didn't notice.
                              Only minor burns but still, not a good thing.
                              Last edited by fredintoon; 05-17-2013, 11:02 PM.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

cool build, as I'm a part time welder/fabricator I enjoy looking at other people's projects...that sissy bar calls for some monster ape hangers IMHO
                                Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Working...
                                X