My xs850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My xs850

Don't know if ya'll remember, but I built this XS1100 about 2 years ago. Well, I sold that one and got an xs850 and I thought I would share how it is coming along.

Here is my XS850 3 cylinder. It is alot lighter than my 1100, but not quite as fast, but oh well. Here are some pics of when I got it, and how she looks now. As you can tell, I added an R1 monoshock, buell headlights, custom swingarm and I'm getting a seat and some R6 foot controls still. I will be implementing a hydraulic clutch, led lighting, fork brace..etc

Enough rambling, on with the pic whoring

What it looked like when I got it, it had bags, a fairing, dual shocks on the rear...etc. That is NOT me in that picture...

After some progress and putting her on a diet.

Here is the seat that I will be adding in like 2 weeks.

Last edited by danteinien; 02-24-2011, 01:22 PM.

I have some gsxr coils that I am thinking about using on this bike.

Does anyone know the ohms of the stock coils? This bike has electronic ignition, not points. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by danteinien View Post
      I have some gsxr coils that I am thinking about using on this bike.

Does anyone know the ohms of the stock coils? This bike has electronic ignition, not points. Thanks!
      Here's a quote that should answer your question:

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      Original coils were 1.5 ohm coils with a 1.5 ohm resistor equaling 3 ohms. Green coils and late model coils are already 3 ohm thus eliminating the need for the 1.5 ohm resistor. From my understanding is that the resistance fron the coils and reluctor limits the draw on the tci.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

bug, that's true for the 11's, but not sure it's true for the 850's?
        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

My 850 does not have the resistor, so I imagine they'll be 3 ohms. Thanks!

Comment

The coil may be marked, mine are marked "use with resistor", they are OEM and are 1.5 Ohm coils.

Or, why don't you put a meter on it and be sure?
            Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

I was planning on testing them after work today, I have just been reading and reading about coils and ignition systems all day and thought I'd see if anyone knew.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                bug, that's true for the 11's, but not sure it's true for the 850's?
                Good point. Looks like you're right. Here are the specs for the replacement coils from PartsNMore:

Ignition Coil
                #17-6805 | Yamaha XS850 (1980-1981)
                Ignition Coil 4-4.5ohm Primary, 7K ohm Secondary OEM Ref#254/371/2F3-82310-60, 1AO-82310-10, 1L9-82310-51, 2A2-82310-50
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Well, it looks like the coils I have wont work, the ohms are far too low. Oh well scratch that idea.

I have a large number of parts on their way, so stay tuned.

Comment

Small update. Got my shifter linkage all squared away, from an '03 R6, also, the beginnings of my hydraulic clutch

Comment

Nice work so far. I like the mono shock setup. Can't wait to see it done.
                      Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                      80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                      82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                      82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                      82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                      72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                      72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

I remember when the Previous Owner(In the Picture) near Houston, picked it up a few years ago.

Looking Good!
                        Richard

Comment

looks awesome man!

you've got some skills thats for sure
                          1980 XS1100SG - almost done

Comment

Hey Dan,
                            I wondered what had happened to you. The mono looks pretty cool. I would be curious to see if that steering damper arrangement works for you.

I have went one more generation with my 1100 as well, called it good, and got another bike to cafe as well. I'll be watching to see how this comes out...
                            Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone, it'll be done in maybe a month or so

My seat finally got here!

It's mounted, it will need some fine tuning and such. But, all I need to do is finish up the welds and the little things, and then the motor is coming out and the frame is getting sandblasted and powdercoated along with the wheels.

I'm using an R6 tail light, it fits perfect under the seat.

Very fuzzy, low quality cell phone pics, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X