No announcement yet.

750 Virago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I missed this post when it came up. I too have a 82 750 Virago. I used the J-clip from the Chopper Bob kit and things work much better. Great bike!

Two more sites for info are: www.viragoownersclub.org and www.drpiston.com
    LuckyEddie
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
    1982 XV750J Virago
    1976 GL1000
    1978 GL1000 Supercharged
    1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

I had the #2 idler gear and the flywheel machined by Dr. Virago pete.Then installed a 4 brush starter.It started well.Once in a while it would make a little noise.
      I tore the bike completely down last winter to go through and paint a bring everything back into shape and havent got back to it yet.
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Starter blues

I forget the details so you gotta go dig yourselves.
        Bill Denton the YAM650 list owner did a good write-up on Virago starters detailing the different starters used over the years and in different countries and what the best way is to fix them. The write-up is in the YAM650 archives which are not the easiest to dig in, but you are motivated, right?
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yamaha still sells the New tension clips and the shims for the #2 idler gear. You could replace the gear with the updated one that has the different profile on the end that engages the flywheel, kinda pricey though, $90.

Other problem with the gear is that it has a rubber cushon molded to it. If it detoriates it moves it even farther away from the flywheel. It can be flipped in a pinch, once the bad side is cleaned off. Just need to add shims to make up the difference.
          I did the profile trimming on #2 gear with a dremel with new clips and shims for an XV700 I had. Box a rocks sound went away as it never missed engaging.
          Richard

Comment

Tarzan

be patient with virago tech they will be able to help you with that model I had one and they got me going once your in the site.

It will be a like atmosphere as the xs 1100 they are also very helpfull.

Tonio
            Last edited by TONIO; 07-15-2009, 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling
            tonio
            81 xs eleven special

Comment

Working...
            X