750 Virago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750 Virago

Weeeeellllll,I just got this smokin deal(LOL) and I cant find the info on a virago site.Has anyone on here ever heard of a repair for a flywheel on a virago? Everyone knows they have problem starting systems.I ordered a new starter.And the flywheel is pretty worn along with a gear that meshes with it.I can get a new gear, but the flywheel (if I can find one) is $300-$400. So I need to figure out how to fix this one.So if anyone has an idea
    I would be very appreciative.Thanks in advance
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

viragotechforum.com
    '07 Virago
    '80 XS11G
    '78 XS11E
    '97 Grand Prix GTP
    '99 Grand Prix GT

Comment

Thanks,I did find that site but they make it hard to get around that site.I,ll keep triing.I joined there but you have to wait for approvalIt says that can take a few days
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

If you find a good forum let me know would you as I have a 1000.
        http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

There is a Virago forum in yahoo groups but it doesnt seem to have much info.There just doesnt seem to be any great forums on the virago like there is here for the XS.This site is awesome.I think I,ll keep my XS a long time.
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Most of the Virago starter problems are with the starter itself and the gear set, not the flywheel.

I have a 920 engine, plus a bunch of other XV parts. PM me if I can 'help'.
            XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

Hey guys I'm just about to help a friend of mine rebuild her XL (I think) 1000 after she dropped it and need a couple of bits and some advice.

It didn't go down to hard but she has busted the left hand guage which as I remember is the speedo and the ignition barrel, as well as both indicators that side and the rubber off the peg and gear shift. In addition she broke the clutch lever and the mount that holds it that looks like it was part of the mirror mount. Nothing major.
              The tank is dinged but she can live with that, certainly for now.

Any help with parts or advice on where to get them would be great. I have already ordered a clutch lever off e-bay - good deal for brand new.

Thanks
              Simon
              Si Parker
              '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

the engine ident is: 42J-001832 If that helps?
                Si Parker
                '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

If this a 1000 Virago I just got some stuff off one that this wrecker just got in.

www.brcycleandpowersports.com

Comment

It's a 1000 alright (981cm). Whta did you get - any of the bits I need that you could sell to me?
                    Si Parker
                    '81 XS1100H

Comment

No sorry I meant I got some stuff I needed, but I did leave the speedo without the chrome pot if I remember right. Anyways you could find his email from their site and ask him for what you need. Tell him Carl sent you. I dunno if it will help but I have done quite a bit of business with them and sent a number of people to them.

Comment

gotchya - thanks
                        Si Parker
                        '81 XS1100H

Comment

E-mailed them now we'll wait and see.
                          Thanks again
                          Si Parker
                          '81 XS1100H

Comment

Good luck and they are closed till monday.

Comment

The starter issue, on the early ones, was only with the throw out gear.

If it was actually slipping, you just replace the gear, and use a spacer to move the gear a little closer to the flywheel, and it's all fixed.
                              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
                              X