Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN & Exchangeable parts

Hi folks,
    I'm new to the forum and new to older Yamaha's. Happy to be here. Just bought a 1979 XS1100, …I think. I say I think because my registration papers say it’s a ‘78 but what I’ve read on line I think it’s the ‘79 special as I noted above. I can’t seem to decode the 9 digit VIN. My VIN is 3H4-000721. Can anyone please confirm my findings?
    Also, I am looking to buy some headers and exhaust on eBay but they are from a 78. Does any know if the 78s and 79s exchange this part or most others? Thanks.
    Dan.

Check out https://xs11.club/forum/miscellaneou...identification 3H4 shows up as a Canadian '79 Special. Majority of parts, from my experience, are common from '78 to '81, based on the model (Special/Standard). This can be verified by checking out any seller's parts fiche. e.g. https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oem...-xs1100f-parts and comparing part #'s vs. production years.
    Last edited by LenB; 02-25-2022, 08:55 AM.
    1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
    1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
    Owned - 1976 XS750D
    Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
    Owned - (unknown year) XS650
    (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Comment

Welcome to the forum Dan,

Here's a lot of great info from Crazy Steve regarding exhaust interchange:

Interchange Guide: Exhausts, Footpegs - XS11.club Forums

Good luck,
      Bob
      Bob's Bikes:
      79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
      https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
      https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
      "
      Project XS11"
      "Rucksack Grunt"
      "Small Unit Leadership"
      "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
      For Sale Here.

Comment

Welcome! Some of the body parts, seat, side covers, grab bar, are ONE year only! You have an early VIN, so it was probably sold late '78, and registered as a '78 and not the '79 model it is. Do check with andreas, a member here who breaks bikes and knows the XS1100 well. He is located in Canada, just north of the Idaho border. I know from experience that you cannot put a standard exhaust on a special without some mods. Most aftermarket exhaust, however, will fit either machine.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the information and the excellent resources. Never belonged to an online club before but always creeped various public forum discussions and found them to be very helpful. I can now say that I am the owner of a 1979 XS1100SF; thanks Len.
          I just got outbid by a guy on eBay on some headers and aftermarket exhaust. But after reading some the info provided by you folks, maybe it was a good thing as they may not have fit my bike. My apologies if it was of you guys who I was bidding against and drove up the price a few bucks.
          I have tons to learn about these bikes but motivated to do so cause they’re super cool.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by LenB View Post
            Check out https://xs11.club/forum/miscellaneou...identification 3H4 shows up as a Canadian '79 Special. Majority of parts, from my experience, are common from '78 to '81, based on the model (Special/Standard). This can be verified by checking out any seller's parts fiche. e.g. https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oem...-xs1100f-parts and comparing part #'s vs. production years.
            The XS1100SF parts fiche is no longer available. That's the 1979 Special. It has differences from the 80/81 Specials.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

The XS1100SF parts fiche is no longer available. That's the 1979 Special. It has differences from the 80/81 Specials.
              A quick glance at the fiche detials, in particular the rear fender, the forks and the cross-over on the exhaust, I see that these are different from my bike which is a '79 special.

Comment

Hi folks,
                Just confirming, would an engine from a 1980 Yamaha XS1100S (serial number 3U9-000640) bolt into my 1979 XS1100SF (3H4-000721) without issue? A very good source in this group told me that it including the electrical would work without modifications. Not wishing to second guess my friend, I just wanted to be sure before I pull the trigger on the engine purchase.
                Thanks,
                Dan

Comment

The engine from a 80 will swap right in a 79 frame. Not sure if the 80 ignition will work with the 79 ignition but you can swap the 79 ignition on to the 80 engine.
                  79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                  79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Thanks for confirming. After searching around, I found a post on this site that says the change to the ignition was in '81, just like my friend said it would. So I'm good to go.

Comment

Another silly question folks: while I assume that the carbs from my '79 special will bolt with no problems to the '80 special engine, I understand that the XS11's were de-tuned a bit in the 80s. Was this "de-tuning' to meet higher emission standards done to the engine or was it done to the carbs? I guess I am wondering what I will experience, if anything, with the swap from '79 engine to the '80?
                      Dan

Comment

Carbs should bolt up and work, after a vacuum sync. Later carbs had a few changes, but a carb is a carb, and they all try to flow the same amount of air with the XS1100's.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                          Carbs should bolt up and work, after a vacuum sync. Later carbs had a few changes, but a carb is a carb, and they all try to flow the same amount of air with the XS1100's.
                          Thanks Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

I have them here if anyone needs. I did send them all to TC but he disappeared shortly after. I wanted to share all the parts fiches and manuals with the group. I guess he never did the link to them.
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

You may be able to upload the fitch as a pdf. If so, post it in the forum/maintenance/tools section. It should then be available to everyone.
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG

Comment

Working...
                              X