Iron Butt Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on Facebook

I put this on FB on my page...its going viral within the LD community...
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1773440768
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Actually after the first few hundred miles your body will get accustomed to the discomfort and just deals with it. It looks as though he has a good saddle on there and the massage beads would let air pass through to keep sweating to a minimum. Good choices for this type of riding.

Congrats to him for his tenacity and putting up a good showing.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Questions...

Hey Scott,

I was just wondering a couple of things about the rally. How much sleep were you able to get over the 11 days? I know there were a few rest bonuses, but what kind of sleep per night did you average? What kind of routing program did you use? How do you route on the fly when you don't know you're destination until it's time to leave? Congrats on a great rally!
        Chuckster

'78 XS1100E

Money can't buy happiness, but it can get you an XS11 and that's a start.

Comment

I feel like a total lightweight now

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          Actually after the first few hundred miles your body will get accustomed to the discomfort and just deals with it.
          Mebbe they should rename the event "Numb Butt" Rally!
          "Galaxy" 1982 XJ1100J, 1983 XV handlebars, new fusebox, homemade SS wind screen and SS muffler heat shields, homemade grab bar extension and luggage rack. XS750 140 mph speedo, '81 Venture oil cooler, V-Max ACCT, Yahman YICS Eliminator, 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix.

Comment

sleep and routing

Chuckster,

There were 3 rest bonus and three checkpoints so on those nights it was a 6-8 hr night. The other nights were less and varied based on where I needed to be for either sunset or sunrise. Many bonus locations were daylight only so it seemed I was either trying to get somewhere before the sun set or was setting up to be on location at dawn. On those nights I was down to being off the bike for 3 hrs which means I never really want to figure out how much I paid per hour for that hotel room!

For routing I use Mapsource which is a now obsolete software from Garmin. This works for me as I also use obsolete 2610 and 2720 garmin gps units. I think many others use streets and trips. For first leg we got the rally book after dinner on Sunday night and went sidestand up at 10 am next morning, so fair bit of time to put a route together and get full night of sleep. For checkpoints 2 and 3 the rally book was handed out at 6 am at which time you are free to head off into the wild blue yonder. The recommendation is to go back to hotel room and spend a few hours building the route as it is much easier to do this on a laptop than on the gps in transit. It is typical to make some changes on the route on the fly depending on if things go well or if you get delayed and need to drop locations to make checkpoint.

Hope that helps,
            Scott
            I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

Scott, I see from the pic you have what looks like beads on the seat. Do they help quite a bit? It seems as though they would simply by allowing air flow.

Where did you get them?
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Hey Scott

I am truly impressed in how you did. People and myself wonder how far up the list you would have gotten if you hadn't lost your camera. I was also fun helping you at the first check point. Doing it in the dark adds so much more to the fun. I'm glad we (Scott and myself) could help. The other guy (not sure I even got his name) was also spot on with electrical parts and knowledge.
                Tom
                2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Greg, sorry for the long delay I was traveling for work. Those are from beadrider and they are worth it. I forgot them on a previous 6 day rally and midway through I was at a Walmart in the Michigan UP wasting time buying a beaded seat cover. It got me through but was not as good.

http://www.beadrider.com/

Comment

Tom,
                    That other guy was Roger Sinclair. He is an Iron Butt veteran and has done the electrical modifications for many rally bikes. I am not sure how many riders he fixed or modified things for during the rally but it was well into the double digits. Thanks again for the help, I think if I get permission for 2015 I need to tap into this forum and see if I can set up a local crew to help out. The extra hands make the job go way smoother.,
                    Scott

Comment

congrats!!

Glad to see someone finally got to show the LD riders that the old XS1100 is still capable of holding it's own on the long distance rallies. I suppose a book deal is in the works followed by an indie documentary? Your home town should have a parade in your honor and name a street after you! They would if they knew how tough the ride was. Maybe after the book deal.
                      Good Job!!

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
                      Second bike is an FJR1300.
                      Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

Originally posted by RS Thornton View Post
                        Greg, sorry for the long delay I was traveling for work. Those are from beadrider and they are worth it. I forgot them on a previous 6 day rally and midway through I was at a Walmart in the Michigan UP wasting time buying a beaded seat cover. It got me through but was not as good.

http://www.beadrider.com/
                        Thanks!.............
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by RUSH View Post
                          Glad to see someone finally got to show the LD riders that the old XS1100 is still capable of holding it's own on the long distance rallies. I suppose a book deal is in the works followed by an indie documentary? Your home town should have a parade in your honor and name a street after you! They would if they knew how tough the ride was. Maybe after the book deal.
                          Good Job!!
                          On the MN2010 Scott rode solo on his XS while HOotis and I rode my sidecar rig XS11. Scott finished 7th if memory serves and I think we finished 12th or so. That was the last rally I competed in. In the LD world, its never the bike, its always about the rider.

Comment

In the LD world, its never the bike, its always about the rider.
                            Having completed a few Iron Butt rides and other monumental trips on my old XS, I know it's about the rider. But it is an exceptional rider that can compete with a bike that is 30+ years old. Great job!!

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
                            Second bike is an FJR1300.
                            Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

Working...
                            X