Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
    Only one driver is allowed.
    What are the gonna do, follow them with an infrared surveillance drone?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

IBR's rely heavily on the honor system.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Go, speed racer! Go!
        My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Way to go Scott

I just saw the results from the first leg and Scott Thornton is in 26th place! He's already ridden over 4,000 miles. 3 out of the top 5 are Yamaha FJR's. Great showing for Yamaha. Way to go Scott!
          Chuckster

'78 XS1100E

Money can't buy happiness, but it can get you an XS11 and that's a start.

Comment

Scott is great. Takes meticulous care of his XS. I've competed against him in the Minnesota 2010 (Two day rally). Only thing mechanically that I could see being an issue (Other than the basic stuff like tires or a crash) would be the pick up triggers. Hopefully he has a spare set along.

Comment

IBA rules state you can have a maximum of 11.5 gals of gas...this is the ultimate IBA rally the IBR is a once every 4 yrs event....it not only takes alot of fortitiude it takes money too.I have nearly ridden 1000 miles in less than 24 hrs, but to do it for 11 days straight is as hardcore as it gets...its not only a race of distances and times but also bonus destinations along the way or out of the way that add up to bonus points for acquiring...alot of strategies for route planning using whatever mapping tools one can afford to have...theres also rest bonuses as they do expect all contestants to rest....some camp some motel it...
              Always rooting for an XS1100... Go Scott
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Interesting to know. BTW, good the see your still around Ben!
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Is Mr. Thornton still in? I haven't figured out how to follow along.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                    IBA rules state you can have a maximum of 11.5 gals of gas...this is the ultimate IBA rally the IBR is a once every 4 yrs event....it not only takes alot of fortitiude it takes money too.I have nearly ridden 1000 miles in less than 24 hrs, but to do it for 11 days straight is as hardcore as it gets...its not only a race of distances and times but also bonus destinations along the way or out of the way that add up to bonus points for acquiring...alot of strategies for route planning using whatever mapping tools one can afford to have...theres also rest bonuses as they do expect all contestants to rest....some camp some motel it...
                    Always rooting for an XS1100... Go Scott

Every two years. It alternates with The Butt Lite.

Comment

Hopefully Scott got back on the road with some form of oil cap.

I wanted to put some perspective on this 1,000 miles a day for myself. I often times have a 1,000 mile week in my work travels (by car, not planes). This earns me the "Road Warrior" nickname as we tend to be a local company.

Well, it is roughly 3,000 miles from San Diego to Boston. So the IBR is like driving that 3-2/3 times. Or from San Diego to Denver, every day, for 11 days straight!!! I am walking bow legged just thinking about it!!
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                        Hopefully Scott got back on the road with some form of oil cap.

I wanted to put some perspective on this 1,000 miles a day for myself. I often times have a 1,000 mile week in my work travels (by car, not planes). This earns me the "Road Warrior" nickname as we tend to be a local company.

Well, it is roughly 3,000 miles from San Diego to Boston. So the IBR is like driving that 3-2/3 times. Or from San Diego to Denver, every day, for 11 days straight!!! I am walking bow legged just thinking about it!!
                        I didn't read the whole set of rule and requirements but don't they have to hit every one of the 48 contiguous states as well as hitting certain landmarks. Isn't there a point system as well to rank the participants?
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Anybody know a link where I can follow this rally as it progresses?

Thanks,
                          Wayne
                          80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
                          Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

Not sure but I think it does take you through about all 48 if not all of them. They give you a route each day, and then a bonus destination that will take you off of that route. I was just trying to give some perspective to the 11,000 miles or even 1,000 miles every day.

Yes, they do rank you by points. In fact, just to be considered a finisher of the event, you have to hit a minimum of the bonus destinations. You won't score enough points to finish if you do not hit some of the bonus spots.

It sounds like a tough event to make it through, you have to really want to have that title. A lot more than I want it. No way in Hades I could do it on one of them zip-splat, crotch rocket bikes.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Day 8 standings:
                              http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2013/Day8.pdf

It appears our hero has suffered a lost camera! OUCH!!!
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix Rider View Post
                                Anybody know a link where I can follow this rally as it progresses?

Thanks,
                                Wayne
                                Wayne,

Go back to post #1. The link is there.
                                Marty (in Mississippi)
                                XS1100SG
                                XS650SK
                                XS650SH
                                XS650G
                                XS6502F
                                XS650E

Comment