Iron Butt Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Butt Rally

Here is a link for those that have never heard of this: http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/def...TOKEN=67651466

11 days and 11000 miles

The 2013 version will start this Monday out of Pittsburgh and there will be a 1978 XS1100 at the start line. I wish I could share more details on the ride and my progress, but the folks running the event have had issues in the past with riders getting significant outside help. As a result the participants are required to limit communication during the rally, but I promise to provide information post event. The rally organizers will provide daily updates, (with about a 24 hour delay) so the outside world will now where we have been recently. Should you read those reports and see my bike referred to as "hopeless" you will need to remember how few people know that these bikes were built very well. Please forgive them for the know not what they say.

I wanted to say thank you to this forum, many on it have contributed to getting this machine to the start line. I would not have come up with the upgrades like Geezers regulator or the auto CCT on my own. Countless others have provided tips and some of you have sold me parts. Thanks to each of you!

It is about to get hectic as I head up to the start line and run through registration, tech inspection and an odometer calibration so I may not have time to check back to the forum. Once the flag drops monday morning every minute will be used to either to route plan, ride or rest. If I pop back on the forum it will mean something unplanned has happened and I am stuck somewhere with a technical difficulty so let me try to give a brief description of the bike:

1978 XS1100 of undetermined miles, purchased out of shed in Michigan a few miles north east of Midland MI about four years ago for $500. Bike had been down at some time based on bent bars and other indicators, I did not help this when I hit a deer with it last year. I had been using a Pacifico fairing, but have gone to the smaller and lighter Vetter for this ride. The bike has the tubeless wheels with slotted rims, think these are 1980. For suspension I put progressive on rear and front, and a fork brace. Electrical upgrades are from geezer and also went to HID and LED to reduce load as I have heated vest for those cold passes over the mountains. I put a venture tank on it for that extra gallon, plus I have a 5 gall aux tank mounted to give me 11 gallons of range.

Wish me luck and follow along as I see if this bike can stand up to a ride that has chewed up and spit out brand new BMW's and GL's.

Regards,
    Scott Thornton
    I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Excellent to see you back at it Scott!!! Many miles of smiles on your journey!
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Good luck! Let us know what works and what does not to make 1000 miles a day easier.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Good luck to you man! I am excites to see how it goes and what tips and tricks you have from thus experience!
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I've only done ONE 1K mile day, and it was on a '79 with a Pacifico. Biggest help for me was the highway pegs so I could change positions of my feet, and LAYERS for clothing! I used shorts/Tshirts, my summer overpants/jacket, and rain pants/jacket if it go cold. Long pants and sweatshirt would help if it got REAL cold, as did heated gloves.
          Have a GREAT time, and don't worry, the XS will show the new bikes what the first REAL super bike could do!
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

With 11 gallons of fuel you'll only have to stop once for fuel if at all. Depends on riding conditions.

Standing on the pegs whenever you slow for a town or something helps A LOT.

2 or 3 ibuprofen every 3 - 4 hours helps with the aching backside.

Good luck. I know the bike will make it.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I have never had the urge for a 1000 mile day let alone 11 of them in a row.
              Best of luck to you.
              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
              1981 LH

Comment

I'd like to know where you get 11,000 mile tires! A tire change along the way will cost a lot of time.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                  I'd like to know where you get 11,000 mile tires! A tire change along the way will cost a lot of time.
                  E3 used to be able to do it.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I saw an xs11 was competing and headed right over here. I know you've already left, but good luck!
                    I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Good luck and be safe.
                      FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                      1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                      1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Think that is him taking off at about 2:06?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lh2p...ature=youtu.be
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

what is it, Beamer and Goldwing rally
                          Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

I liked the two up riders in the beginning must be going to split the driving or maybe just the navigator Not to sure about the rider on the green bike nearer the end with the backpack, he must really know how to pack light

Comment

Only one driver is allowed.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X