No announcement yet.

Iron Butt Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That really hurts...I hope he gets it returned and can claim the points...but will likely be too late.

Keep it up Scott!

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
      That really hurts...I hope he gets it returned and can claim the points...but will likely be too late.

Keep it up Scott!

John
      Looks like a couple ST riders are most likely to nail this one............as they've previously done in the past.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        Wayne,

Go back to post #1. The link is there.
        Got it. Thanks Marty. I didn't dive in deep enough to find the standings.

Wayne
        80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
        Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          Not sure but I think it does take you through about all 48 if not all of them. They give you a route each day, and then a bonus destination that will take you off of that route. I was just trying to give some perspective to the 11,000 miles or even 1,000 miles every day.

Yes, they do rank you by points. In fact, just to be considered a finisher of the event, you have to hit a minimum of the bonus destinations. You won't score enough points to finish if you do not hit some of the bonus spots.

It sounds like a tough event to make it through, you have to really want to have that title. A lot more than I want it. No way in Hades I could do it on one of them zip-splat, crotch rocket bikes.
          There is no route. Only a window and a location where the next checkpoint is located. Early to the checkpoint means you probably left points in the field. Late at the checkpoint means your event is over. Each bonus location has a different points value. It is NOT about who goes to the most locations,but is about who gets the highest score. SO, with 80 or so bonus locations at each leg, and varying points values at each bonus location, and various times of day or night when the bonus location is even open, it's pretty rare for any two riders to end up on the same planned route. Not to mention execution. All the planning in the world goes out the window as conditions change.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            Looks like a couple ST riders are most likely to nail this one............as they've previously done in the past.
            nope at least 3 are out... and one was the leader...
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

How do you actually get the people and the standings?
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                nope at least 3 are out... and one was the leader...
                ....and looks like one of them crashed near Demming.N.M. Apparently not seriously injured but ST is totaled. He is one who's done this IBA several times, and apparently is not new to crashing in the past.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  How do you actually get the people and the standings?
                  Here you go Nate ( From post #1)
                  http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2013.cfm
                  Read the reports they are very entertaining and informative too.
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                    Here you go Nate ( From post #1)
                    http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2013.cfm
                    Read the reports they are very entertaining and informative too.
                    Phil
                    I see that and have read them, but some have made it sound like there is a rank list that they post that actually shows where people stand.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

It looks like they only post the standings on the days they have a check-in. Which it seems the last one was on day 8, and the next will be the finally tomorrow morning between 8 and 10.

I will be impressed if he simply finishes it. I may have already said this, but I think it is a big travel week when I go 1000 miles a week. They are doing it every day, on a bike. yeah...iron butt applies.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

I see Scott pulled my move and drove away without his oil plug... Damnit man...
                        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                        1981 LH

Comment

According to the lastest update, he reached the last checkpoint 3 minutes into the penalty window. We all still have to wait to see if he has enough points to be ranked as a finisher.

Impressive either way.
                          I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

He has my respect just for doing it and completing the trip. Amazing thing to travel all of those miles in that time frame.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

There’s not finishing and then there’s not finishing the Scott Thornton way. He’s
                              the rider who lost his camera during the second leg and with it all the bonus
                              points he’d accumulated for two and one-half days. The only points he did
                              receive on the second section were for keeping a Spot tracker, resting, and a
                              call-in. Was it possible that he could achieve sufficient points on just the 1st and
                              3rd legs of the rally to total 60,000? No. He came in 237 points short. That kind of
                              disappointment doesn’t even have a name. If it did, it would be called Iron Butt.
                              He still has my respect. It's not a feat I would be likely to attempt.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

I wonder if you're allowed to use your camera phone.
                                Mine has the ability to upload pics to the web/photbucket as I take them.
                                If this were possible, then those photos that he took, but lost the camera, would still be available, albeit online vice a memory card.
                                Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                                The Green Monster
                                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                                Got him in '04.
                                bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                                Scarlet
                                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                                Got her in '11
                                Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                                Hugo
                                Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                                Cold weather ride

Comment

Working...
                                X