Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is always NEXT year Scott!

RESPECT man - I tip my hat to you Sir as you have balls of iron -

It was a nice run on the old gal and you did a great job representing our community against stiff competition.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
      There is always NEXT year Scott!

RESPECT man - I tip my hat to you Sir as you have balls of iron -

It was a nice run on the old gal and you did a great job representing our community against stiff competition.

John
      I agree completely. Way to go!
      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
      1981 LH

Comment

I haven't read all the posts so someone may have pointed it out that his bike is the oldest there. Not only the oldest by many years.
        Jeff
        77 XS750 2D completely stock
        79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Great Job Scott...You finished...made some mistakes but then most everyone else did as well...that ST1300 rider that crashed in Deming NM was Shuey Wolfe ...I know him and have been to a number of ST events with him...he totaled his 2012 ST1300 and he spent the better part of the past year getting that bike ready for this event...as did several others who didnt make it to the finish line intact.
          So Scott once again...My hat is off to you sir...
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Next year

Next year is the Butt Lite. A 7 day event. Hopefully Scott will be up for that and gets drawn for the 2015 Iron Butt. Good show sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatic View Post
              Next year is the Butt Lite. A 7 day event. Hopefully Scott will be up for that and gets drawn for the 2015 Iron Butt. Good show sir!
              I woulld be happy just to obtain my SS1000 certification for one 24 hr ride...over on the ST-Owners forum thers a ride sanctioned by the IBA if the participants want to get a Saddle Sore 1000 in. The Moonshine Lunch Run outside of Casey Illinois has the event 2nd week in April...which i am thinking of attempting next April...heres a link about what the MLR is all about...
              https://sites.google.com/site/mlrss1k/home
              Last edited by madmax-im; 07-12-2013, 06:45 PM.
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hi Scott,
                Congratulations. Well done. I see from the official finishers list that there were only 2 bikes not from the 21st Century. A 1994 and a 1998. That is 16 years newer than your trusty XS11.
                Your preparation of your XS11 is of the highest order.
                While I have known about the Iron Butt for decades this was the first one I took any real interest in. Thanks to you it has been a very interesting 11 days sitting on the computer

Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I wish I was as reliable as my bike!!

Legs 1 and 2 had some issues but leg 3 the bike just ate the miles up. I headed out of Sacramento and picked up points in the area including pics of golden gate bridge from both the north and south ends. Headed north and crossed into Vancouver before crossing mountains passing through Kamloops, Cranbrook and picking up transcanada at Lethbridge. From there just kept rolling East to pittsburgh 3 minutes into penalty window. A few points lost at the table and I thought for all the work we were not going to have the XS in the finisher window. The final point level for finisher left me 4800 above cut off rather than short 200 that I had thought.

Thanks for the support, I knew it was going on but one thing about this rally is that every minute is sacred. You really have zero time to do anything that is not directly related to maintaining yourself, your bike or collecting points. One thing for sure is that I have the ergos right on this bike as I have no real discomfort from the 11 days.

A few thanks to sent out. Tom Kale (not sure if he still lurks on the board but he is an ex XS owner out of Ontario) and a friend of his helped me swap rear tires at first checkpoint. I had the wheel there with a tool kit but having extra hands experienced with the bike was awesome. Roger Sinclair who is a previous IBR finisher helped with a wiring issue and got me a replacement ballast for one of my HID lights. Finally in Sacramento, Rick Mayer of the Mayer seats fame was the guy who went out to Lowes or a Home depot and came pack with a plug for the huge threaded hole in the crankcase that I created when I left the plug at a gas station 200 miles from the end of leg 2.

Lee mentioned the pickups, and yes I had a spare set, and yes I used them. Swapped them at a gas station near Kansas/Colorado border. The old ones are zip tied to the vacuum line and the replacement is zip tied to shift lever. Not pretty but got me through. The bike itself needs to retire from the rally life as it has all known fatigue issues now. The pickups were not difficult but tranny has gone skippy and the side stand weld has torn. I actually have a 4x4x3 chunk of wood on the end of a string that I stuck under the side stand at every stop. Without it the bike leans at about 45 degrees.

BUT....
                  our bikes are so tough that you can buy one for $500 from a shed in Michigan, replace some wheel bearings, a few hoses and do a carb overhaul and it can stand wheel to wheel with new rolling iron.
                  Just hope the secret doesn't get out and the prices start to go up on us.
                  I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

That's just SO cool, Scott. I retired mine also, at only 150,000 miles or so. It needed a crank-up rebuild.

Comment

Well done Scott! You did awesome!
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Congratulations on completing your long journey.

Wayne
                        80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
                        Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

Looking on the final rankings, it looks like you are now officially a finisher?? Yes??? That is amazing Scott!! Awesome work on the ride!!!
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Scott you da man
                            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                            1981 LH

Comment

From ST-Owners website...as there were a number of members who went to see the finishers...so Scott's bike is photo documented and mentioned by me on that site in their IBR thread...

Last edited by madmax-im; 07-13-2013, 10:07 PM.
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

What a showing for the xs1100! The oldest bike there and finished. Way to go man, I cant believe you didn't have much discomfort. I was talking about it at work and we was all talking about how a person would feel like there got run over by a trunk on the first 1000 miles not to mention the next 10,000. Take the old girl home and treat her right, she deserves it, and so do you!
                                Jeff
                                77 XS750 2D completely stock
                                79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Working...
                                X