Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    DANG IT! They found us....
    We were clearly having far too good of a time in here...

But fear not naysayers, I actually did start a repair thread for this same subject...but for some reason everyone keeps posting in here...and far be it from me to argue with the masses
    Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
    Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
      if Mum's the word then why are you still talkin LOL

I think it started out as a rant on how he was pissed @ his bike and turned into a repair form... Bunny trails boy's, bunny trails
      We all know what is most commonly found on a Bunny trail.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post

Bunny tail?
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
          I do the same thing... I always think the worse and then realize I have the kill switch turned off, or something stupid like that
          I went a week and a half going through the wiring and battery on my riding mower before I figured out I left the blade engaged
          Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            Bunny tail?
            Playboy Bunny tail??
            Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
              Drunks with ADD chasing shiny objects?
              Don
              1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
              1989 kawi ex500
              1996 yzf-r6
              1999 yzf-r1
              2001 kawi zx-6r
              2000 Ducati 748
              2002 YZF-R1
              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                But fear not naysayers, I actually did start a repair thread for this same subject...

Couldn't find that thread, so I'll just post here that my money is on the pickup coil wires. Intermittent spark like you're getting is the usual culprit for that. The wires could be broke, but the insulation could still be intact.

The other thing I've seen happen to make it do that, is if you look at the pic Greg posted in your "Oil oil go away" thread...

... that little pin you see on the end of the crankshaft has been known to come out. This lets the timing plate spin on the crank and it gets out of time. Maybe you got lucky the other day and it spun back into a close position for a minute? Anyway, it's something you can check when you're putting in a new seal.
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  Couldn't find that thread, so I'll just post here that my money is on the pickup coil wires. Intermittent spark like you're getting is the usual culprit for that. The wires could be broke, but the insulation could still be intact.

The other thing I've seen happen to make it do that, is if you look at the pic Greg posted in your "Oil oil go away" thread...

... that little pin you see on the end of the crankshaft has been known to come out. This lets the timing plate spin on the crank and it gets out of time. Maybe you got lucky the other day and it spun back into a close position for a minute? Anyway, it's something you can check when you're putting in a new seal.

I will have to look for that pin, didn't know about that one. Thanks for the heads up! And my other repair thread was actually the Cross Threaded Spark Plug one.
                  Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Hey Joab,

Along with the PU coils, after checking the fuses, check your battery, charge it on a charger. When I was there last year, the battery was a bit low. If it drops too low it won't spark either, and idling doesn't charge the battery and it can actually discharge. Once you get the bike started, check your charging system to make sure it's charging.....14+ volts at 2500 + rpm!

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                      Hey Joab,

Along with the PU coils, after checking the fuses, check your battery, charge it on a charger. When I was there last year, the battery was a bit low. If it drops too low it won't spark either, and idling doesn't charge the battery and it can actually discharge. Once you get the bike started, check your charging system to make sure it's charging.....14+ volts at 2500 + rpm!

T.C.
                      Thanks TC, that was one of the first things I did, is throw the battery on the charger, I had remembered you mentioning that when we were trying to get it to fire out in the shed last year. Today I will pick up the oil seal, and get that switched out, then the troubleshooting begins...without throwing parts at it, for fear Greg will find me, and proceed to utilize a Joab-Be-Good-Stick on me or the bike

As a side note, does anyone have a spare rubber tank mount? I seem to be missing one...
                      Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I guess I'll jump in on the fun for a few,My bike was doing the same thing,it was one of the broken wires in the timing cover.It's hard to tell unless you pull on the wires,if they stretch,there's a break in it.Also my plugs were fouled,replaced them and vroom,off and running.
                        FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                        1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                        1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Working...
                        X