I think my bike exploded.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my bike exploded.

It died, and when I tried to restart it, there seemed to be a muffled bang and a flash from somewhere on the right side of the bike. Hard to tell since I had my helmet on at the time...was running late to work, so didnt get a chance to investigate any further.

Im sure it has something to do with the broke high beam selector...that makes sense, right?
    Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
    Ozark, Alabama

Makes perfect sense, I think you should check the muffler bearing while your in there.

honestly, with that to go on, look at the fuse box first.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Yeah, this is more of a rant/venting then anything, that is why I posted it here instead of in the maintenance section.
      Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Swamp gas, nothing to see here.
        XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

This bike is going to become swamp gas if it keeps pissing me off...
          Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

If you write a halfway cohesive and intelligent post, you may get some help. This forum is not like the other halfwit forums out there.
            1980G Standard, Restored
            Kerker 4 - 1
            850 Rear End Mod
            2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
            Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
            Automatic CCT
            1980GH Special, Restored
            Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
            Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
              If you write a halfway cohesive and intelligent post, you may get some help. This forum is not like the other halfwit forums out there.
              Aww, now if I was to do that, I wouldn't get the chance to have these rousing conversations with folks such as yourself. Scroll up a bit there, I have already explained this post wasn't a cry for help. That is why it wasn't posted in XS/XJ Discussion.

Attention to detail there sparky.
              Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Darn, I've only had ONE glass o red wine, and still need to pay attention?!?! The bike is NOT happy with you. You need to show more love, and make sure you feed it the proper fluids to keep it happy! IF that doesn't work, just go back to SWMBO, relearn what SHE wants, and start again.
                On the bright side, sound like you have too much fuel in the carbs, as from a leaky float valve, and the backfire from number 3 or 4 is your problem. Take two asprin, and call me in the morning.
                PS, the bill is in the mail......
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

hmmmmmm I don't know buddy. which end of the bike did the flash bang go off on? front or rear?
                  Don
                  1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                  1989 kawi ex500
                  1996 yzf-r6
                  1999 yzf-r1
                  2001 kawi zx-6r
                  2000 Ducati 748
                  2002 YZF-R1
                  2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Lol, not you Ray, your exempt from paying attention...as long as you send me drink as well!

And I couldnt keep a SWMBO for more then five years anyhow, so this bike and I are going to be going toe to toe for awhile It was flooded I beleive, but I just switched to regular fuel as well, and when I pulled the plugs, they were crusty black. So...I have that going for me as well

It wouldnt be so bad, but the damn thing only fails when I need it for something. Any other time, it runs fine...
                    Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
                      hmmmmmm I don't know buddy. which end of the bike did the flash bang go off on? front or rear?
                      The middle...

But it will be an all encompassing bang when it ends up as the guest of honor in an XS fueled bonfire...
                      Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

run a STRONG mix of Berryman's B12 through the carbs!! IF you've been using premium, you probably have a LOT of carbon in the engine! I would pull the lower air cleaner, and use a LARGE can of Berryman's spray cleaner to spray into the intakes as the engine was running(warmed up first), let it set for about twenty minutes, and then ride it like you stole it for about five minutes.
                        That should take care of the carbon, then just run REGULAR, as the is what the bike was built to run. Premium burns SLOWER to keep the knock down, but will build up carbon if you have a "low" compression engine.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                          The middle...

But it will be an all encompassing bang when it ends up as the guest of honor in an XS fueled bonfire...
                          hahahaha your plugs will probably stay pretty blacka while as your cleaning the carbon out with the regular gas. At least that's the excuse I'm using right now as my plugs started doing the same thing when I switched to regular. you know right before I decided to F up a couple carbs because I decided to actually work on it

you'll figure it out. let me now what your findings are when you get back to it. I'll see if I can help from way over here. I got nothing better to do right now once Greg's care package shows up I can get back to messing up mine again.
                          Don
                          1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                          1989 kawi ex500
                          1996 yzf-r6
                          1999 yzf-r1
                          2001 kawi zx-6r
                          2000 Ducati 748
                          2002 YZF-R1
                          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                            run a STRONG mix of Berryman's B12 through the carbs!! IF you've been using premium, you probably have a LOT of carbon in the engine! I would pull the lower air cleaner, and use a LARGE can of Berryman's spray cleaner to spray into the intakes as the engine was running(warmed up first), let it set for about twenty minutes, and then ride it like you stole it for about five minutes.
                            That should take care of the carbon, then just run REGULAR, as the is what the bike was built to run. Premium burns SLOWER to keep the knock down, but will build up carbon if you have a "low" compression engine.
                            or Seafoam. I'm gonna hose mine down with Seafoam deep Creep once I get mine back up running right. I put a 1/4 can of seafoam in the tank when I filled it up with regular. The plugs look very unhappy with me right now. once I'm done tuning it and cleaning it out, its time for new plugs. some times plugs don't take too kindly to carbon fouling.
                            Don

old:
                            1989 kawi ex500
                            1996 yzf-r6
                            1999 yzf-r1
                            2001 kawi zx-6r
                            2000 Ducati 748
                            2002 YZF-R1
                            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I have never heard of the Berryman stuff, but I am willing to give it a try. Certainly cant make things worse! And I should have been running regular all along, but for some damn reason I had it in my head to run super in it all the time...

And you have been making me feel bad with all that work on Old Man Don, so since I had to rip the tank off to get to the plugs anyway, I am going to finish building the synch tool next week, reclean the carbs and actually tune and synch everything properly...for once.
                              Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Working...
                              X