I think my bike exploded.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
    Every time I get sparked I'm looking for a bang.... but thats a different story for a different time

make sure you have spark... if you have fuel, air, compression, and the valves open and close all you need is spark to light the fire.
    I didn't see your first comment, Greg was too quick on the trigger

Yeah, so far, negative spark...
    Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
    Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Go back and read my last post.

Our posts are a perfect example of what I'm trying to say.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Greg,

So here is what kind of confused me on it. I put everything back together on the iginiton cover, fired it up, ran fine. Shut it down. Later that night, needed to get to work, so came out, fired it up, seemed to run a little funny, but I had my full face on, and sounds get distorted and muffled in the garage, so I cant be too sure.

I rolled it out of the garage running, it was cold, so I had to keep the rpms up a little so it wouldn't die, as I always do. My hand slipped off the throttle, rpms dropped down, bike died.

And it never ran again. The best I get is a little burbling from the exhaust, and once in awhile a bang from what I assume is built up fuel and possibly an errant spark.

No idea why it ran pretty normal, then 30 seconds later, lost its will to live.
        Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
          Greg,

So here is what kind of confused me on it. I put everything back together on the iginiton cover, fired it up, ran fine. Shut it down. Later that night, needed to get to work, so came out, fired it up, seemed to run a little funny, but I had my full face on, and sounds get distorted and muffled in the garage, so I cant be too sure.

I rolled it out of the garage running, it was cold, so I had to keep the rpms up a little so it wouldn't die, as I always do. My hand slipped off the throttle, rpms dropped down, bike died.

And it never ran again. The best I get is a little burbling from the exhaust, and once in awhile a bang from what I assume is built up fuel and possibly an errant spark.

No idea why it ran pretty normal, then 30 seconds later, lost its will to live.
          pull #1 plug... get a good flashlight out roll motor over by hand, look down plug hole while rolling motor over, verify exhaust valve is moving... if its moving my worst case thought is out the window. Have you ever adjusted the timing on your bike? Almost sounds like it slipped way out of time, cam chain broke, or you just munggled the pickups up some how... or you may have just blown a fuse!!!! have you checked your fuses????
          Don
          1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

pull #1 plug... get a good flashlight out roll motor over by hand, look down plug hole while rolling motor over, verify exhaust valve is moving... if its moving my worst case thought is out the window. Have you ever adjusted the timing on your bike? Almost sounds like it slipped way out of time, cam chain broke, or you just munggled the pickups up some how... or you may have just blown a fuse!!!! have you checked your fuses????
            I absolutely haven't checked the fuses...sigh..I was in such a hurry trying to make it to work, then with drill this weekend, I really haven't touched the bike since. Never adjusted the timing either. One reason i wanted to go ahead and do the coil and wire upgrade, is the wires are looking pretty beat on this thing, and I figure if i switch them out, that is at least one thing I know is good, and I can go on with troubleshooting the rest...

But in any case, I will start with the simple, and work my way up.
            Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I absolutely haven't checked the fuses...sigh..I was in such a hurry trying to make it to work, then with drill this weekend, I really haven't touched the bike since. Never adjusted the timing either. One reason i wanted to go ahead and do the coil and wire upgrade, is the wires are looking pretty beat on this thing, and I figure if i switch them out, that is at least one thing I know is good, and I can go on with troubleshooting the rest...

Bang head against wall... then go check fuses
              Don
              1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
              1989 kawi ex500
              1996 yzf-r6
              1999 yzf-r1
              2001 kawi zx-6r
              2000 Ducati 748
              2002 YZF-R1
              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Bang head against wall... then go check fuses
                Yeah, me and overthinking everything? We are good friends.
                Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

My point exactly.

Start with connections and fuses. Since you were in the timing cover, be sure you didn't pinch an ignition wire when you reinstalled it.

More than likely it's something really simple like that
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    My point exactly.

Start with connections and fuses. Since you were in the timing cover, be sure you didn't pinch an ignition wire when you reinstalled it.

More than likely it's something really simple like that
                    And then I can throw parts at it!
                    Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Yeah, me and overthinking everything? We are good friends.
                      I do the same thing... I always think the worse and then realize I have the kill switch turned off, or something stupid like that
                      Don

old:
                      1989 kawi ex500
                      1996 yzf-r6
                      1999 yzf-r1
                      2001 kawi zx-6r
                      2000 Ducati 748
                      2002 YZF-R1
                      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I do the same thing... I always think the worse and then realize I have the kill switch turned off, or something stupid like that
                        Did that with a friends 77 Harley Sporty once. Borrowed it to go to the store and when I came out the damn thing wouldn't start. I kicked on that thing for an hour before I finally just walked home and got him to come help.

He went over and turned the kill switch off and it started on the first kick.

What a maroon..........
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

What is the big idea posting a bunch of stuff on how to fix the bike here!! If that was what he wanted he would have posted in the other forum!!!!
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                            What is the big idea posting a bunch of stuff on how to fix the bike here!! If that was what he wanted he would have posted in the other forum!!!!
                            Yup I agree and then I could actually give some feedback. Probably a simple thing that he overlooked but Mum's the word.
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                              Yup I agree and then I could actually give some feedback. Probably a simple thing that he overlooked but Mum's the word.
                              if Mum's the word then why are you still talkin LOL

I think it started out as a rant on how he was pissed @ his bike and turned into a repair form... Bunny trails boy's, bunny trails
                              Don

old:
                              1989 kawi ex500
                              1996 yzf-r6
                              1999 yzf-r1
                              2001 kawi zx-6r
                              2000 Ducati 748
                              2002 YZF-R1
                              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

DANG IT! They found us....
                                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X