I think my bike exploded.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joab View Post
    Aww, now if I was to do that, I wouldn't get the chance to have these rousing conversations with folks such as yourself. Scroll up a bit there, I have already explained this post wasn't a cry for help. That is why it wasn't posted in XS/XJ Discussion.

Attention to detail there sparky.
    Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
    run a STRONG mix of Berryman's B12 through the carbs!! IF you've been using premium, you probably have a LOT of carbon in the engine! I would pull the lower air cleaner, and use a LARGE can of Berryman's spray cleaner to spray into the intakes as the engine was running(warmed up first), let it set for about twenty minutes, and then ride it like you stole it for about five minutes.
    That should take care of the carbon, then just run REGULAR, as the is what the bike was built to run. Premium burns SLOWER to keep the knock down, but will build up carbon if you have a "low" compression engine.
    Aww gee DiveRay...why did you go spoil his thread by giving advice? "Attention to detail there sparky" was the words I read. The thread is a waste of electrons if anyone advises him on how to fix anything unless he posts it elsewhere.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
      Aww gee DiveRay...why did you go spoil his thread by giving advice? "Attention to detail there sparky" was the words I read. The thread is a waste of electrons if anyone advises him on how to fix anything unless he posts it elsewhere.
      Advice doesnt cause the thread to be a waste of electrons, folks who take it too seriously does
      Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
      Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I have never heard of the Berryman stuff, but I am willing to give it a try. Certainly cant make things worse! And I should have been running regular all along, but for some damn reason I had it in my head to run super in it all the time...

And you have been making me feel bad with all that work on Old Man Don, so since I had to rip the tank off to get to the plugs anyway, I am going to finish building the synch tool next week, reclean the carbs and actually tune and synch everything properly...for once.
        Well i'm glad I can inspire others to run blindly into things they've put off for too long due to fear of intercoursing it up. My experience has left me wanting to walk into oncoming traffic. But hey I'm learning how to work on it. If you screw something up and learn from it you really didn't screw it up. Right?
        Don
        1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
        1989 kawi ex500
        1996 yzf-r6
        1999 yzf-r1
        2001 kawi zx-6r
        2000 Ducati 748
        2002 YZF-R1
        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Advice doesnt cause the thread to be a waste of electrons, folks who take it too seriously does
          I am so glad you noticed the big smiley face in my post. I would guess you are in an argumentative mood tonight so I wont bore you with details but really? Really? Give me a break, far more important things on this site than this thread. Count me out.
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
            Well i'm glad I can inspire others to run blindly into things they've put off for too long due to fear of intercoursing it up. My experience has left me wanting to walk into oncoming traffic. But hey I'm learning how to work on it. If you screw something up and learn from it you really didn't screw it up. Right?
            Inspiration by guilt my friend, inspiration by guilt.
            Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
              I am so glad you noticed the big smiley face in my post. I would guess you are in an argumentative mood tonight so I wont bore you with details but really? Really? Give me a break, far more important things on this site than this thread. Count me out.
              Lol, calm yourself Ras, I wasnt referring to you. I was talking about captain sparky earlier. Your good people.
              Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Inspiration by guilt my friend, inspiration by guilt.
                mine by was beer inspired curiosity... I bought the sync kit to do my buddies Goldwing. I had beer, my XS, and a brand new sync kit. What could go wrong I thought. I'd like to track down the last guy Dad had work on this thing and stab him with the broken mixture screws!

But better to find out now, then when something catastrophic happened, and then I realized it was caused by my neglect. Good to check everything out before I posted a bunch of miles on it this summer.
                Don
                1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

mine by was beer inspired curiosity... I bought the sync kit to do my buddies Goldwing. I had beer, my XS, and a brand new sync kit. What could go wrong I thought. I'd like to track down the last guy Dad had work on this thing and stab him with the broken mixture screws!

But better to find out now, then when something catastrophic happened, and then I realized it was caused by my neglect. Good to check everything out before I posted a bunch of miles on it this summer.
                  Yeah, I enjoyed when TC came down to look at my bike, and calmly pointed out that someone at some point, had swapped out the original carbs for 80-81s, and all the rebuild kits and parts I bought wouldnt fit. Silly POs...

If it wasnt for Top Cat though, I probably would still be wondering why the hell nothing would line up right....
                  Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Yeah, I enjoyed when TC came down to look at my bike, and calmly pointed out that someone at some point, had swapped out the original carbs for 80-81s, and all the rebuild kits and parts I bought wouldnt fit. Silly POs...

If it wasnt for Top Cat though, I probably would still be wondering why the hell nothing would line up right....
                    Ya the last few years my Dad was alive he couldn't do much to his bike. The last year he had it out he took it to a "Shop" to have someone do "maintenance" on it. I remember him telling me it went in running ok, came out running better but something still didn't seem right. I now know what that "something" was! if they would have called him and said "you got 2 broke mixture screws" he would have said "FIX IT!" this is why I tackle most anything I can. that way I know the corners that have been cut... cuz I had the scissors
                    Don

old:
                    1989 kawi ex500
                    1996 yzf-r6
                    1999 yzf-r1
                    2001 kawi zx-6r
                    2000 Ducati 748
                    2002 YZF-R1
                    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Ya the last few years my Dad was alive he couldn't do much to his bike. The last year he had it out he took it to a "Shop" to have someone do "maintenance" on it. I remember him telling me it went in running ok, came out running better but something still didn't seem right. I now know what that "something" was! if they would have called him and said "you got 2 broke mixture screws" he would have said "FIX IT!" this is why I tackle most anything I can. that way I know the corners that have been cut... cuz I had the scissors
                      I had taken my rear tire to the local shop to have a new rear tire on it ( since they do work on the side). The lead guy walked over to the guy doing my tire, and asked if he knew what it came off. The guy said no, the lead looked at him, and said, "That came off God's motorcycle, the XS1100. " I had to laugh.
                      Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I had taken my rear tire to the local shop to have a new rear tire on it ( since they do work on the side). The lead guy walked over to the guy doing my tire, and asked if he knew what it came off. The guy said no, the lead looked at him, and said, "That came off God's motorcycle, the XS1100. " I had to laugh.
                        Ya the guys @ the shop I've been buying stuff from keep hearing about my XS. Both know what an XS11 is, but don't know much about them. They keep saying they don't think I really have one since they've never seen it. (except the wheels) I told them "thats cuz I seem to put more hours on it with a wrench in my hand lately than with my butt on the seat!" shop owner says "bring it in so we can fix it right for ya!" I laughed and said "no way you goofballs will poke @ it with a spanner wrench untill you break something!"
                        Don

old:
                        1989 kawi ex500
                        1996 yzf-r6
                        1999 yzf-r1
                        2001 kawi zx-6r
                        2000 Ducati 748
                        2002 YZF-R1
                        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

LOL.. Never heard anyone on this side of the pond call it a spanner wrench?
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                            LOL.. Never heard anyone on this side of the pond call it a spanner wrench?
                            Tod
                            What the hell else would you call the wrench used to adjust pre-load on coil-overs? I don't know it by any other name....
                            Don

old:
                            1989 kawi ex500
                            1996 yzf-r6
                            1999 yzf-r1
                            2001 kawi zx-6r
                            2000 Ducati 748
                            2002 YZF-R1
                            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

That's just what those guys that say "Tyre" call a Crescent wrench..
                              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100
                              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                                That's just what those guys that say "Tyre" call a Crescent wrench..
                                Crescent is a brand Sir... Are you referring to an open-end adjustable wrench? LMAO
                                Don

old:
                                1989 kawi ex500
                                1996 yzf-r6
                                1999 yzf-r1
                                2001 kawi zx-6r
                                2000 Ducati 748
                                2002 YZF-R1
                                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                                X