Do you Pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
    Nope I do not lump everyone into a single group although popular television would have it different. My small town is just a tad over 10,000 people. IIRC we have had 3 deaths due to guns in the last 40 yrs or so. One was a definite murder as he was shot at his table thru the window. Another was due to a cheating wife and he got away with it for about 7 yrs before they caught him. One was a school mate who apparently by accident shot himself while climbing thru a fence. Go ahead and compare (if you can).
    I think most small towns would compare about the same. As you mentioned many to even when trying not, to lump most of the U.S. in with areas like LA and New York, and even there violent crime has been decreasing for the last 15 or 20 years (and no, they can't explain why, everyone says that the way things are crime should have been rising not falling). Around the world I think many believe that what Hollywood shows them is what the U.S. is like, and for the most part it couldn't be further from the truth (well maybe except from Greg ). The small towns I've lived in (more than a couple) were actually amazed that they got to break out the fingerprint kit because someones car got broken into and they got to use it . And this was in California, home of the wierdos, the rest of the country is even more normal. Having been in the Army I've met guys from all over the country, and pretty much found that even the guys from New York and Philly were pretty much the same as from everywhere else, just plain people.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

So you think you got troubles?

30 years ago we could go into Canadian Tire and buy a rifle or shotgun over the counter and walk out with it, paperwork zero. Ammo too.
      Handguns were different, you really got the runaround.
      For instance; Stan bought Eddie's .22 revolver. To legally move the firearm to his own home Stan had to get a movement permit from the RCMP. The permit was good for 24 hours and allowed him to move the firearm from Eddie's house to Stan's local RCMP detachment where it could be registered in his own name and he'd get a second movement permit to move the firearm to his own home.
      When Stan got to his local RCMP detachment the Sargeant was away and the duty Constable wasn't empowered to do the paperwork. It ended up that the firearm was locked away in the RCMP safe until the Sargeant showed up to do the paperwork. Things are much more difficult these days.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
        ...violent crime has been decreasing for the last 15 or 20 years (and no, they can't explain why, everyone says that the way things are crime should have been rising not falling)..
        For a very intriguing explanation of why, read the book or see the movie.....
        http://www.freakonomics.com/
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Well back to a more reasonable topic rather than personal ideas, dislikes and arguments about politics and governments...

TC, I agree with Tod that you should carry the highest caliber you can reasonably handle. I also like and have chosen the .40 for most of my stuff. I also HATE glocks for the most part. They are great guns but they just don't fit my hands. My personal favorite gun line is the Springfield Armory XD and XDm series. They fit me well and I think they shoot better and are much smoother to shoot than a glock (and I have put a lot of rounds through both glock and SA guns). You can get most composit guns in full frame (large), sub-compact (medium), and compact (small) for whatever your preference of use is, and even the compact .45 can.carry 10+ rounds. I do agree that you should look around and pick out a few guns you like and then find a range that rents guns and shoot those for a bit to try them.out before you buy one.

As to ammunition. You can get what is called frangible ammunition. It is made up of a compressed metal powder. Its purpose is to eliminate overpenetration. It does not go through hard objects like walls or even bone, but goes through soft tissue fine. When it hits something hard it basically disintegrates into a powder. This is a great home defense ammo, little more expensive but well worth knowing you are not going to shoot your neighbor accidently. I would not use this though on.the street personally though. Outside the house I would go with a good quality hollow point.

As to 00 buck shot in a home defense shotgun...bad idea. 00 buck is about the size of a 37 special bullet. So basically with that one round you just shot roughly 9 38 shots at once. Would I have it in there? Absolutely, but it is after 4 rounds of bird shot and if I am that deep then it is a bit more serious!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hey Nate,

Thanks for the redirect to back on topic, I was afraid it was heading for HBT territory! Thanks also to the other folks for their informative opinions on the machinery to look at. I'm ex Navy, had some experience with the service .45, got my marksman badge , but that is a bit too much IMHO for personal CC type use. I, too, am just talking and looking at this with regards to only using for extended out of town/state trips where you never know who you may run into, a breakdown in a desolate area, etc.! I'm 54 y/o, and also haven't been places where I felt I would have wanted/needed the CC option, but the world IMHO is getting nastier/meaner/crazier...despite the statistics. I live in a fairly populated metropolitan multi-city complex, lots of people, lots of chances for bad folks.

I do have a .22....plinker semi-automatic rifle as well, also in the upstairs bedroom closet with the .357. We also have a house/home alarm system with monitors on all of the doors and most of the lower floor windows. Years ago I used to own a Rottweiller, went to obedience training with it, and then would walk around the neighborhood with her, would walk near a group of the local kids, would stop at the curb, drop the leash, walk across the street all the while the dog would just sit there. Then when I was fairly close to the group, I would then call the dog, she would take off at a blazing speed, and just for fun, would run passed me a few paces before turning around to sit by my side...after causing the collected group to scatter thinking the dog was coming after them! I wouldn't explain the difference between Obedience and ATTACK training! The dog has since passed on, but our house is still known as the Rottweiller house, and we also have an ankle biter/barker now. I also keep a modest short haircut, my winter leather jacket looks like a cop's, and I've even used a switched Yellow warning light on the car during Halloween to help control/slow down the idiots driving in the area while the trick -r- treaters were out, so they think I'm a cop as well!

SO...I'm not worried and I do sleep just fine, but we have also had breakins in the neighborhood just a block or so away, and occasionally you can hear shots ring out, so I want to have enough to protect my castle if necessary!

Again, we would ask to keep the discussions AWAY from the politics of gun rights and such, and stay within the general topic.

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

T.C.

Great thread and nice to see that although members can disagree they have kept it civil.

As to my earlier recommendation for 00 buckshot, it is not a good choice if you have nearby neighbors and you are worried about the holes in the wall. There is however a reason why the military uses it for close range work . . . it is effective.
              1979 F
              Mac 4-2 Exhaust
              T-Kat Fork Brace
              Spade Fuse Box Mod
              Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              140.0 Main Jets
              45.0 Pilot Jets
              266 X-2 Needle Jets

Comment

Originally posted by ecoviper9 View Post
                I was just wondering if any of you all carry a gun with you when you ride. I know that Illinois (my beloved state) doesnt allow conceiled carry, but the other 49 do. (the NRA's working on that dont worry). but just wanted some opinions.
                Yes, always. Have had the permit for years, it's very legal here in fla. I'm lucky to work someplace where they don't mind if you carry, don't have to leave it in the vehicle, so I can ride everyday.

Comment

Tom
                  1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                  1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                  1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                  1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
                  X