No announcement yet.

Do you Pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if it's just here, or everywhere, but if you go to get your CC license, use an automatic weapon. If you qualify with a revolver, a revolver is all you're licensed to carry. If you qualify with the auto, then you can carry either.

TC, just my opinion here, but for actual protection, it's going to be tough to beat a 45 cal. BUT.. the thing is so heavy to carry around and the rounds are considerably more expensive than other options.

I've heard too many stories about someone emptying a clip of 9mm into someone and having them still keep coming. So, I opted for something in between that and the .45 in the .40 S&W. I know many like the 9mm, but it's like arguing tires and oil I think. It all comes down to your personal preference that you can shoot well without flinching. For some, that's a .50 cal Desert Eagle. For others a .22 is about all they can stand.

For reliability, it's going to be tough to beat a Glock. BUT.. if you plan to save some money and do some reloading, the Glock leaves a bit of the base of the case exposed when it fires and puts a bulge or weak spot at the base of the brass. You can get a special push-through full case sizer and reload them still, but it does make the case weaker there and you won't get near as many reloads out of that brass.

Another thing to consider is if you plan on just keeping it around the house, or conceal carry. For conceal carry, I prefer a gun that has a single stack magazine, meaning it's thinner than most. A double stack magazine staggers the rounds side by side in the magazine. This lets you have a higher capacity (More rounds) than the single stack, but with it being considerably thicker handled, it's more cumbersome, heavy, and harder to actually conceal. I opted for a thinner model, but only get 7 rounds, (8 if you carry one in the pipe, which I don't. Nearly impossible to happen, but after wrecking a couple times, that's all I'd need is to get shot in a tumble also.. lol) though I do carry at least one extra magazine.

For many, like me, who can legally buy a gun but don't necessarilly want the government knowing what I have or how many, in a lot of states, you can buy from individuals without doing the whole background check/registration thing. *CHECK YOUR LOCAL AND STATE LAWS BEFORE DOING SO* I found a site http://www.armslist.com/ that is basically a Craigslist for guns. Just go to your state, then click on what you're looking for as well as if you're looking to buy from just an individual or dealers also. On there, "FTF" means they will only sell or meet face to face. It does feel a bit weird to go meet someone who you KNOW has a gun, and they KNOW you have cash! lol. I just met in a very public place the last time I bought one from someone off of there. If you have a gun shipped, it has to go to a licensed Fed Firearms Dealer, and they'll charge you a fee and do a background check through the FBI. Also, you can download a good bill of sale that will cover your butt and theirs.
    Last edited by trbig; 03-20-2012, 08:04 PM.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

You Yankees are so very gun HO. Up here we use guns to shoot gophers and other unsuspecting animals. We have very restictive hand gun laws and until recently we had long gun registry across the country.
      Not to say that you guys are wrong in any way but do you in reality think that your lives are in so much danger that a loaded gun with capabilities like a 357 beside your bed is necessary?
      If your answer is yes then I can not say anything but that I pity you and the part of this world you live in. Seriously a 357 with hollowpoints just to defend your home? That kind of mind set gets people killed your family and all. I just can not imagine living like that.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I pity someone who lives in a country where the government thinks it's necessary to know exactly where every gun is and who owns it.

It's not that we would HAVE to have the gun. It's that we have the right to.

Big difference.

That's what keeps government working for the people instead of the people working for the government.

Rights!!!!!
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
          Home protection = big barking dog and 12 ga shotgun. If the big dog barking doesn't do the trick, the sound of the slide going home should do the trick. If it doesn't you'll likely only get one shot off. With a 12 ga, that should be all that's needed.
          Great home defense weapon is my Mossburg 590... 8+1 shot pump 12 ga...you'll definitely get more than one shot off...
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I'm an open carry kind of guy
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              I pity someone who lives in a country where the government thinks it's necessary to know exactly where every gun is and who owns it.

It's not that we would HAVE to have the gun. It's that we have the right to.

Big difference.

That's what keeps government working for the people instead of the people working for the government.

Rights!!!!!
              While you are very correct in the fact that the government needs to know where the guns are in our country, I also need to point out that the long gun registry was not only abolished but any records were destroyed. As far as hand guns go, well we are very regulated. We also have the right to own and use a gun, Just so long as it is not on a restricted list. My whole point was that being in fear of living your life in your country should not hinge on home defense. If that is what makes you happy then have fun but I would rather live here where such things are very, very secondary to life in general.
              2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                While you are very correct in the fact that the government needs to know where the guns are in our country, I also need to point out that the long gun registry was not only abolished but any records were destroyed. As far as hand guns go, well we are very regulated. We also have the right to own and use a gun, Just so long as it is not on a restricted list. My whole point was that being in fear of living your life in your country should not hinge on home defense. If that is what makes you happy then have fun but I would rather live here where such things are very, very secondary to life in general.
                It's just part of who we are. In a free society, there are a lot of "haves" and "have-nots". This will always lead to a degree of crime. blah blah..you get the picture.

FWIW, if I feel like I need to sleep with a gun, I need to move!
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                  I'm an open carry kind of guy
                  haha open carry..

I think were beating a dead horse here with talking about the differnet laws and governing factors as to firearm ownership and safety.. but i do enjoy hearing the differneces in laws across the country.

As far as pulling a firearm out in midst of an altercation.. I think that goes along with the why people die rule.. You either die because it was your time. or you die because you were INCREDEBLY F***ING SUPID. I think that this would quantify as the second.

I personally have only heard of one time when a firearm save someones life and that person used it in self defence as a last possible resort. (even after trying to run away first).

There is no problem should be solved first with a firearm. If all other means are exhausted and self preservation is in imediate question then by all means... live to ride another day.

I feel that its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.. I havent found myself in a situation to need it. (thankfully) but i think everyone here feels the same way.
                  1980 xs1100 Standard

Comment

My whole point was that being in fear of living your life in your country should not hinge on home defense. but I would rather live here where such things are very, very secondary to life in general.

There is no place on earth where home invasions and murders don't happen. There are bad people everywhere. The U.S. doesn't have a corner on the market for that. So, you can live in blissful denial, or try to be prepared. Like Danny said, I don't wear a helmet because I'm constantly worried about wrecking. I don't have or carry a weapon because I'm constantly worried about someone breaking in. Quite the contrary. If I didn't wear a helmet, or have a gun, leaving everything to chance... THAT is when I'd be worried. You are content trusting the odds that nothing will ever happen to you and nobody will ever break into your home and threaten or hurt you or your family. The odds are astronomical that it will happen to either of us, but I'll have more options than you SHOULD that rare occurance happen. You trust in chance. I like to make the odds more in my favor.
                    Last edited by trbig; 03-20-2012, 09:28 PM.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

You Yankees are so very gun HO. Up here we use guns to shoot gophers and other unsuspecting animals. We have very restictive hand gun laws and until recently we had long gun registry across the country.
                      Not to say that you guys are wrong in any way but do you in reality think that your lives are in so much danger that a loaded gun with capabilities like a 357 beside your bed is necessary?
                      If your answer is yes then I can not say anything but that I pity you and the part of this world you live in. Seriously a 357 with hollowpoints just to defend your home? That kind of mind set gets people killed your family and all. I just can not imagine living like that.
                      Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
                      Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                        There is no place on earth where home invasions and murders don't happen. There are bad people everywhere. The U.S. doesn't have a corner on the market for that. So, you can live in blissful denial, or try to be prepared. Like Danny said, I don't wear a helmet because I'm constantly worried about wrecking. I don't have or carry a weapon because I'm constantly worried about someone breaking in. Quite the contrary. If I didn't wear a helmet, or have a gun, leaving everything to chance... THAT is when I'd be worried. You are content trusting the odds that nothing will ever happen to you and nobody will ever break into your home and threaten or hurt you or your family. The odds are astronomical that it will happen to either of us, but I'll have more options than you SHOULD that rare occurance happen. You trust in chance. I like to make the odds more in my favor.
                        While there are bad people everywhere and all that, Stats show that our country has less incidents than yours. Do not get me wrong as I have 3 guns in my home at all times and probably a couple thousand rounds as well. Point is still the fact that I can sleep at night not worrying about a home invasion for the most part. Of course it can happen! If it does, I hope my guns are close. One thing is that before I head to bed at night I look down the street to see that everything is secure... for as far as I can see. If I see something untoward I will phone the authorities and you know what...My neighbors will as well.
                        I guess while we all share the same dangers that some of us are not as threatened in our homes and communities as some others are.
                        2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Point is still the fact that I can sleep at night not worrying about a home invasion for the most part.

Exactly my point also. I sleep just fine and don't worry about an invasion either. I'll stick my small town Oklahoma violent crime stats against your town's any time. You seem to be lumping us all into Chicago, New York, and L.A.'s stats.

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                            Exactly my point also. I sleep just fine and don't worry about an invasion either. I'll stick my small town Oklahoma violent crime stats against your town's any time. You seem to be lumping us all into Chicago, New York, and L.A.'s stats.
                            Nope I do not lump everyone into a single group although popular television would have it different. My small town is just a tad over 10,000 people. IIRC we have had 3 deaths due to guns in the last 40 yrs or so. One was a definite murder as he was shot at his table thru the window. Another was due to a cheating wife and he got away with it for about 7 yrs before they caught him. One was a school mate who apparently by accident shot himself while climbing thru a fence. Go ahead and compare (if you can).
                            2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

There is a part of our culture that comes from the wild west. And part of what kept Japan from seriously considering trying to invade during WW2 was the fact that guns were so common, and known to be. It's a point of pride that if someone did invade that it would be a fight from tree to tree. The Soviets found how about that in Afghanistan, which is what tells us IMHO that they are not really that terribly upset about us being there, because if they were, they would have pushed us out just like they did the Soviets. But to occupy an armed country is pretty much impossible without the consent of the armed populace, as long as the america's stay armed (have you noticed that for the most part the entire continent is for the most part at least partially armed) it would be nearly impossible for an outside power to successfully occupy the continent. Subvert from within, that's another story, but to take over militarily, nope, not going to happen, not you guys up north either I'm thinking.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

You are correct sir...More guns were hidden from the government that were ever registered. Besides which as any gun enthusiast knows the eye of a gopher is a really decent target.
                                2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Working...
                                X