No announcement yet.

Do you Pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our rights are indeed dwindling, and nowhere is it worse than Illinois. If a guy asks if people carry, that is a fair question. Answer or don't.

No, I don't carry. That would be illegal here.

EricHa

Land of Lincoln , and insolvency
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
    Airbox w/K&N element
    Jardine 4 into 1
    145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
    1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
    1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Great, nobody else was talking about any of that crap, but now you've used words like Militia, US Attorney General, terrorist, and threat and we've now made the list.. Now they'll be subject to discussions on which brand of tire or oil is best, and what proper air pressure in a tire is.

Now, go to another link and talk about your motorcycle. We reserve the right to have friendly discussion in the members section about various topics, not just the ones you happen to approve of. If discussions get out of hand, then it needs to be handled. I've seen nothing even remotely close to that other than posts about how we shouldn't be talking about such things. I realize that being paranoid doesn't mean that everyone really ISN'T out to get you, but sometimes.. it's just paranoia.

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
      Guys this is not a place in this current US enviroment to disscuss these things. Understand we have rights but they dwindle every day. You do not want to be talking about certian things on any site in any forum because there is equipment that keys on certian words. Enough words key and an alert is given and that site suddenly becomes watched and or monitored. If things are taken in the wrong context by one or two people any and all could be viewed as a group that authoritys see as a threat.

A new law was signed that was presented by the US Attorney General that allows any US citizen to be held without representation if they are viewed as a terrorist threat. The current administration has a view that US citizens should not be allowed to have guns that the law have and posses arms means that APPROVED military militia can carry and bear arms and will do anything to enforce or create a situation to enforce that rule. Lets talk about motorcycles.
      Last edited by trbig; 03-16-2012, 11:50 AM.
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

See, people are starting to get excited.... Should this thread be closed?...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          very wrong. Permits are NOT federal and never have been. Permits are state issued and Illinois does not recognize any ccw permit from anywhere.
          +1 I live at the border of Washington and Oregon and travel thru both states a lot. A Washington cwp does not hold water in Oregon. Most countys in both states allow open carry thou so the line gets blurry. Most of the time it comes down to interpretation. Personally I'd rather not let the cops decide that interpretation that's why i have a permit in both states. And Arizona as well. The 3 permits allow me to carry in about 39 states. I don't need that many but they offered the Arizona permit for the price of the filling fee when I took my Oregon class.
          Don
          1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            See, people are starting to get excited.... Should this thread be closed?...

Ya know, I see nothing wrong with the original question, but you may be right. I remember another time when people were allowed to talk about any subject and how that all went, but man, I didn't think it would be over something this silly. Like I said, it wasn't over anything political, but a legitimate question that others had or may have had and affects every state.

The ones actually in the conversation of the topic seem very well mannered.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
              Most have been around a while, maybe it's more that they're 'gun shy'....

OK, a bad pun....
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                Ya know, I see nothing wrong with the original question, but you may be right. I remember another time when people were allowed to talk about any subject and how that all went, but man, I didn't think it would be over something this silly. Like I said, it wasn't over anything political, but a legitimate question that others had or may have had and affects every state.

+1 as long as people are sticking to the subject I see nothing wrong with it. I won't engage with someone who tries to make it something its not. If people don't wanna answer the question they don't have to.
                Don
                1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                  Most have been around a while, maybe it's more that they're 'gun shy'....

OK, a bad pun....
                  Oh Steve... Your crazy
                  Don

old:
                  1989 kawi ex500
                  1996 yzf-r6
                  1999 yzf-r1
                  2001 kawi zx-6r
                  2000 Ducati 748
                  2002 YZF-R1
                  2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I always thought California had the strictest laws on...well...everything. Has IL managed to surpass them? Never lived in either state, so I am just talking from outside the box
                    Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                    Ozark, Alabama

Comment

sorry

Sorry if I offended anyone here its not my intent and I am definately not SHY. No one here said anything offensive in any way but I do know how email and information on public forums are monitored by thoughtless machines and long before anything was said by anyone I'd mention it. I do know that the email of a man talking about shooting was enough evidence to sway a jury for his conviction of a parole violation. Say what you want here but know you can't take it back.
                      I think everyone should get a concealled permit to carry and know how to use it but you really have to be careful because of rules in localities. Even though you get a concealled permit you can not just walk into a public place with it. If a locality has an ordinance against concealled carry in parks and you are checked you could get 5 years. Many places have a little sign in the window that voids your concealled carry. You can not carry on school grounds or at airports in hospitals etc etc. In Virginia they have severe laws concerning brandishing. You may have a concealled carry but you bend over and it is seen and then you are accused of brandishing because you did not conceal it.
                      To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                      1980 G Silverbird
                      Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                      1198 Overbore kit
                      Grizzly 660 ACCT
                      Barnett Clutch Springs
                      R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                      122.5 Main Jets
                      ACCT Mod
                      Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                      Antivibe Bar ends
                      Rear trunk add-on
                      http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
                        Oh Steve... Your crazy
                        No, Don. You're crazy.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Actually we are all crazy in a good way!
                          To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                          1980 G Silverbird
                          Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                          1198 Overbore kit
                          Grizzly 660 ACCT
                          Barnett Clutch Springs
                          R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                          122.5 Main Jets
                          ACCT Mod
                          Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                          Antivibe Bar ends
                          Rear trunk add-on
                          http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Ron, I was trying to be a smart a$$, and you missed it.

Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

I do know that the email of a man talking about shooting was enough evidence to sway a jury for his conviction of a parole violation.
                              Not trying to be nit picky here but a parolee is under a much different set of rule. They ARE NOT FREE PEOPLE yet, they have not completed their sentence and are still (in theory) heavily monitored and their actions and communications ARE monitored buy their Parole Officer. Second, unless he was being charged with a different crime there was no jury, it was a judge that heard the PO say "he did this. it violates his terms of parole and needs to go back to jail" and then the judge said "ok".

you really have to be careful because of rules in localities. Even though you get a concealled permit you can not just walk into a public place with it. If a locality has an ordinance against concealled carry in parks and you are checked you could get 5 years. Many places have a little sign in the window that voids your concealled carry.
                              That is true, you do need to look at the local laws and the laws of any places that you travel and remain in compliance with those laws. Most places have laws saying you cannot carry into a police station, city/county building, courthouses, schools, hospitals, jail yada yada. You do that you will get in trouble, these are the special places but even with some of those you will be asked to leave and come back after you have secured your weapon elsewhere before you are charged with anything.

As to the stores and whatnot that post the little sign saying that they ban weapons in their store. The most that can be done there is 1) the owner/lessee ask you to leave, if you refuse 2) they call the cops and they show up and they tell you to leave, if you refuse 3) you will get a disorderly conduct, trespassing, and maybe and obstruction ticket (would be a stretch for the last one there but depending on the circumstances).

Disclaimer: all of these outcomes do greatly depend on whether or no you pass the attitude test with the cop that is there and also depends on the cops attitude when he is there. Also you criminal record and what you have been arrested/convicted with in the past. Outcomes can be more or less severe depending on these as well as other outside influences.

In Virginia they have severe laws concerning brandishing. You may have a concealled carry but you bend over and it is seen and then you are accused of brandishing because you did not conceal it.
                              To get brandishing from that is a HUGE stretch. For there to be a crime there MUST be intent, if you bend over and the muzzle sticks out from under your shirt and you do not even know it then there is no intent, thus no crime.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

So basically I was the only person who saw "Do you pack" and thought he might be talking about camping supplies?

huh.

When I was riding in in Guatamala and Mexico and Columbia (all those places where you are supposed to be killed or kidnapped just for showing up) not once, ever, did I feel like being armed would help in any way. I rarely even felt threatened. That said, Whenever I was stopped (you can get stopped a lot, mostly it's just because they want to look at the bike or practice English) I was asked where my gun was. Europeans and Canadians weren't asked that question.

Sorta make you wonder how the rest of the world looks at us.
                                I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X