Do you Pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ecoviper9 View Post
    I was just wondering if any of you all carry a gun with you when you ride. I know that Illinois (my beloved state) doesnt allow conceiled carry, but the other 49 do. (the NRA's working on that dont worry). but just wanted some opinions.
    Hi Viper,
    if you are not allowed concealed carry, are you allowed to carry in plain sight?
    Last edited by fredintoon; 03-15-2012, 11:48 PM.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
      Hi Viper,
      if you are not allowed concealed carry, are you allowed to carry in plain sight?
      Not in Illinois!

I do carry probably about 95% of the time.

Big thing to consider when carrying concealed ESPECIALLY when on a bike is gun retention! If you go down you want the best holster so that you give the gun the best chance to stay with you and not go flying down the road and get lost and fall onto the wrong hands. Who gives a rip if the thing gets destroyed grinding down the road (hey it might even save you from some rash) but it needs to stay with you!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

i carry

a 38 spec and 9mm.. i haven't carried on my MC yet because its not ride able yet, but i do plan on having both with me at all times like i normally do although I've never had to use either one.. i will say if you carry and decide to pull it better be to squeeze the trigger without hesitation. if you don't plan it that way there's no use in having it!
        Last edited by Jfries; 03-16-2012, 05:59 AM.
        1978 XS1100 Macho Maroon!
        http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...s/DSC00361.jpg

Comment

basically im saying i was taught its not there for intimidation like i see a lot of people trying to carry for.. or to be cool. i know that's probably not the case for a lot of you here. but I've had people pull a weapon(not always a gun) on me more then once and they were just showing off to their "friends" they are with. that kind of stuff pisses me off.. and little did they know i was carrying as well. but they never knew because like i said, if i would of thought my life was in danger and i had to pull mine i would of used it with out a second thought.. lucky for them i could tell they was just trying to be "Cool" and show off to there friends. i am thankful everyday that my gun has only been fired at a range designed for it!!
          Last edited by Jfries; 03-16-2012, 06:09 AM.

Comment

I guess I feel I get the same bang for the buck with a taser, and I won't have to deal with the years and money lost on the lawsuits and court fees if I ever actually had to fire a shot from my pistol. I have 1911 for home defense, and a sparky for travel. But, thats just me.
            Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
            Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by tom clisham View Post
              Ther's no place in Chicago where cops don't go. But, get caught with that piece & you'll be locked up.
              not necessarily, if you don't live in Chicago and you have out of state id/permits they cant do anything. laws differ from state to state you live in but permits are federal. if its legal in the state you live in/have the permit, its legal in the state you visit.. the most they can do is give you a hard time and a headache.. but if you know your own state/fed laws they cant really do anything. but if you was flashing it and made people nervous that's a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                ecoviper9,

Dude, you've stumbled upon the wrong forum....move on...PLEASE.

Don't understand this repsonse to a simple question at all. I've been gone a while though, I may have missed the memo on banned subjects.

Seems a very pertinent question for some that travel across different state lines. I seem to remember someone stating that if you don't like a certain subject, don't click on the link.
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  Don't understand this repsonse to a simple question at all. I've been gone a while though, I may have missed the memo on banned subjects.

Seems a very pertinent question for some that travel across different state lines. I seem to remember someone stating that if you don't like a certain subject, don't click on the link.

i agree, its not a bad question.. and its in the members lounge.. not like hes in tech tips or wanted parts asking this lol JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Jfries View Post
                    not necessarily, if you don't live in Chicago and you have out of state id/permits they cant do anything. laws differ from state to state you live in but permits are federal. if its legal in the state you live in/have the permit, its legal in the state you visit.. the most they can do is give you a hard time and a headache.. but if you know your own state/fed laws they cant really do anything. but if you was flashing it and made people nervous that's a different story.
                    very wrong. Permits are NOT federal and never have been. Permits are state issued and Illinois does not recognize any ccw permit from anywhere.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The reason for Davinci response is a history issue. These types of topics can and often do stir up deep emotional responses. Politics and religion, two things almost guaranteed to cause an argument.

In the past, these type of discussions on the site have gotten WAY out of hand and end up with people getting quite rude and beligerant with each other. Had several very bad endings. Opinions vary, and some people have trouble leaving it at a difference of opinion and seem to need to convince the other person to change their opinons.
                      Last edited by DGXSER; 03-16-2012, 07:46 AM.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                        very wrong. Permits are NOT federal and never have been. Permits are state issued and Illinois does not recognize any ccw permit from anywhere.

Correct. Most places have reciprocity to the states that border them. Meaning.. most recognize a CC license from a bordering state, but not all. That'd be like saying, "Oklahoma doesn't have a helmet law, so I don't need to wear one in any state."

You need to do some homework before carrying into other states.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

If I do, or if I don't, I really don't care to tell anyone either way.

Seeing the topic come up is a little unnerving. I'm sympathetic with DAVINCI's sentiments.

Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                            If I do, or if I don't, I really don't care to tell anyone either way.

Seeing the topic come up is a little unnerving. I'm sympathetic with DAVINCI's sentiments.

??? I just don't get it. I'm like you, I'd rather not divulge when or where I do, but I certainly don't care if others offer up their experiences. If someone was coming on here, chest thumping about the 2nd amendment or posting videos of killing rabbits and such.. then I see your point.

What's unnerving to me is someone getting upset or unnerved over a simple question. Is the subject of someone carrying a self defense weapon, be it pocket knife, a handfull of nuts/bolts, pepper spray, etc.. now in the same realm of abortion or religion discussions?

I'm not trying to be a smartass here.. I just don't get it??

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

As it is, it's fine. I'm a "glass is half empty" kind of guy, and I think ahead about where this can go.

I got my bike all fixed up yesterday, I have places to go and the sun is shining. Today is my last day off for a while.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Not the place

Guys this is not a place in this current US enviroment to disscuss these things. Understand we have rights but they dwindle every day. You do not want to be talking about certian things on any site in any forum because there is equipment that keys on certian words. Enough words key and an alert is given and that site suddenly becomes watched and or monitored. If things are taken in the wrong context by one or two people any and all could be viewed as a group that authoritys see as a threat.

A new law was signed that was presented by the US Attorney General that allows any US citizen to be held without representation if they are viewed as a terrorist threat. The current administration has a view that US citizens should not be allowed to have guns that the law have and posses arms means that APPROVED military militia can carry and bear arms and will do anything to enforce or create a situation to enforce that rule. Lets talk about motorcycles.
                                To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                                1980 G Silverbird
                                Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                                1198 Overbore kit
                                Grizzly 660 ACCT
                                Barnett Clutch Springs
                                R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                                122.5 Main Jets
                                ACCT Mod
                                Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                                Antivibe Bar ends
                                Rear trunk add-on
                                http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Working...
                                X