No announcement yet.

Do you Pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering how many different countries I have been shot at in, I really have little doubt how the rest of the world sees us. I had a good friend who lived in Ireland, she refused to even come visit the US. She was convinced that she would be shot and killed minutes after stepping off the plane...
    Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
    Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Nope Marty I knew your intent but thanks for your confession guilty as charged.
      To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
      1980 G Silverbird
      Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
      1198 Overbore kit
      Grizzly 660 ACCT
      Barnett Clutch Springs
      R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
      122.5 Main Jets
      ACCT Mod
      Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
      Antivibe Bar ends
      Rear trunk add-on
      http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

I've been thinking recently about getting a CC permit myself. But mostly for when taking a trip out of town/state, not just for my daily commute and such.

My best friend from HS in TEXAS has a CC and packs all the time, but he's lived around weapons, guns, rifles, knives and such all his life. He lives in a smaller type city San Angelo, lots of wilderness and such within close distances, and his activities, horseback riding, odd jobs for folks from mending fences, etc, has him in remote areas and such, as well as possible wildlife like rattle snakes, wolves or bobcats, mountain lions and such.

I would think that the NRA would have or provide a reference online for cities or states that permit CC and such!?

Even when travelling in my car, I've brought the "family" firearm along with me for possible protection, but I've learned that there are even stupid rules governing that....like that it had to be UNLOADED, and the ammo had to be like in the TRUNK, that the weapon had to be in PLAIN SITE, sitting on the seat or such, not in the glove box or down in my riding boots in the back seat area!

This topic did and still does have the potential to turn into a hot button topic if folks start talking about their general rights to bear arms and stuff like that, but so far it's been a proper OFF TOPIC/Member's Lounge discussion, and hoepfully it'll stay that way. I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about this CC process, would like to learn more of the pros/cons...but without any political deviations of whether folks should be allow to or not kind of discussion.

For a little while I thought the 220v thread might turn into a HBT, but cooler heads prevailed!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

What do you want to know tc?
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
            I always thought California had the strictest laws on...well...everything. Has IL managed to surpass them? Never lived in either state, so I am just talking from outside the box
            Believe it or not, Ca is an open carry state. At least in most places, there are exceptions and if your acting badly while openly carrying or are carrying in an enclosed vehicle it can be a problem. It's often surprising some of the things that Ca is NOT strict on that go so much against the rest of the stuff that it simply makes your head spin. I think they do it simply to make it so you can't figure out what you should do in any given situation based on common sense and knowledge of other laws, you have to know every single specific law to know if your ok .
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

You are exactly right CY you have to know every law to know if you are ok. A work associate of mine several years ago went on a hunting trip out to Colorado. That was his thing making plans going on hunts with buddies and he had some great guns. I can not remeber now which one but comming back they crossed threw I think it was a national forest that actually was Indian reservation area sight seeing. The guy driving was traveling just a little over the speed limit and was pulled by one of the indian officers who basically just issued a warning but as procedure searched them. They found out while traveling thew reservation territory you must carry proof of ownership of certian items any livestock etc or it is reservation property. Their guns were taken. There is no way on earth I'd ever expect something like that but its the law in that land.
              To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
              1980 G Silverbird
              Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
              1198 Overbore kit
              Grizzly 660 ACCT
              Barnett Clutch Springs
              R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
              122.5 Main Jets
              ACCT Mod
              Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
              Antivibe Bar ends
              Rear trunk add-on
              http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by Jfries View Post
                not necessarily, if you don't live in Chicago and you have out of state id/permits they cant do anything. laws differ from state to state you live in but permits are federal. if its legal in the state you live in/have the permit, its legal in the state you visit.. the most they can do is give you a hard time and a headache.. but if you know your own state/fed laws they cant really do anything. but if you was flashing it and made people nervous that's a different story.
                NOT TRUE! Each state is autonomous.
                You may have a permit at home, but carry in ILLINOIS & get caught, you're in trouble. PERIOD. Your home state permit won't mean didly squat here. Don't kid yourself.
                Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Paranoia

Did see a little of it when i went back & read all the posts. & sure didn't want to contribute to it.
                  But, to clarify, Illinois is the only state left that does not permit concealed carry, or open carry. When I was in high school , in Illinois, you could legally carry a firearm if it was openly vislble. They oulawed that, probably in the 60s or 70s. I don't really remember exactly when. I was a cop at the time. I could also legally own a fully automatic weapon ( & did) by exemption for peace officers at that time. That also changed in the 60s.

Anyone with a federal firearms permit can carry in Illinois.Otherwise only peace officers, period, accept for a few government officials(?)
                  There are very few federal firearms permits. My brother has one. It requires that you be a retired police officer, & then meet very stringent federal requirements to obtain the permit.It's valid in all 50 states. A police officer from another state carrying concealed would not be arrested, in Illinois, because he or she is a POLICE OFFICER, & exempt under Illinois law. Railroad police officers are real police officers & exempt under Illinois law, no matter where they live. Otherwise, very few exemptions exist in Illinois.
                  Something scarey: State legislators are exempt in Illinois!
                  This could go on forever. Sorry.
                  Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                  stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

frozen north

Well to answer the original question, no I don't pack a hand gun with me when I ride. And several of you gentlemen mentioned constitutional rights when talking earlier to which I agree is true to the effect if you don't use it you lose it. Your rights that is. A Canadian has no right to carry a concealed or non concealed hand gun ever thanks to the liberal mind set, were now working on a new educational law in my province that would disallow my wife to teach our kids from anything related to our beliefs in the bible,(we home school) and California is working on it too. so when they take your rights away or attempt to it scares me. Be the Americans that we respect, I love the USA just not your government.

BTW. You have an excellent man in the US named Richard Maybury who I've read many books by and I believe what he says(Americans are a great people it's the government that is giving the bad name).

I'm sorry this was supposed to be a simple thread do you carry a gun or not I mean no disrespect to any one here with my statements I just felt the need to wiegh in and now I will SHUT UP.
                    Even a blind monkey gets the odd banana.

1979 XS 1100 special (been down the PO trail and it was messy)

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
                      Be the Americans that we respect, I love the USA just not your government.

BTW. You have an excellent man in the US named Richard Maybury who I've read many books by and I believe what he says(Americans are a great people it's the government that is giving the bad name).
                      +1!! Totally agree!!
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Do I carry? Maybe I do, maybe I dont. Let's not find out.
                        I know lots of riders who carry (legally), but I stick with a crowd that isnt likely to be in a situation where it will be needed.
                        It isnt the legal and responsible gun owners Im concerned with, it's the dinosaur-brained knuckle-draggers with guns I worry about.
                        79 Special
                        2012 FJR1300
                        78 E (project. Clutch problems from PO) Must sell

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
                          Well to answer the original question, no I don't pack a hand gun with me when I ride. And several of you gentlemen mentioned constitutional rights when talking earlier to which I agree is true to the effect if you don't use it you lose it. Your rights that is. A Canadian has no right to carry a concealed or non concealed hand gun ever thanks to the liberal mind set, were now working on a new educational law in my province that would disallow my wife to teach our kids from anything related to our beliefs in the bible,(we home school) and California is working on it too. so when they take your rights away or attempt to it scares me. Be the Americans that we respect, I love the USA just not your government.
                          +1 I agree 100%. Well put
                          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Rooster, Nate and Greg,

I can appreciate your thoughts on this, but it's this type of commentary that turns these threads in HBT's. As stated before, we would request that folks only comment on the actual topic discussed, and try to not bring in Political VIEWS on rights and such, because it's those types of discussions that tend to get folks worked up and then things get out of hand.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sorry TC
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                                I would think that the NRA would have or provide a reference online for cities or states that permit CC and such!?

Open Carry Laws

Concealed Carry Laws

What's my prize T.C.?
                                1980 XS11SG
                                Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
                                Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
                                ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Working...
                                X