Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever made road-kill with your bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been fortunate so far, and actually had a deer jump up from a lower pasture on to the road last night about 25 feet in front of me. The new bike is way to quiet. My XJ usually scares them away miles before I get there.
    Back in Okinawa, i caught one of these beetles in the collar bone at about 50 miles an hour and pretty near bit it. The Okinawan's call them Kanabun.

Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
    while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post
      Oh, and it was on a hardtail harley, please dont tell fred.
      You are now dead to Fred!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

So far, I had a swollow swoop down from under a bridge and hit me in the chest, fall on my tank and let go with a gutt load of poop before flopping around and taking off again only to get caught in the vortex between my fairing and myself to smack me in the face twice before I could bat it away, what a mess! Then there was a pup that darted out and ran into the front wheel of my '81 Goldwing. The sharp edged spokes of the composit wheel split it open and the innards and such went into the hot radiator. What a stinking mess. Then to top it off, while I was a prospect for a m/c club in south Texas, one of the old time inanition steps that someone just thought up was to cook and eat a road kill armadillo. There was no stibulation on how the road kill was accuried and there were plenty of three banded little fellers waddled across the roads, I aimed at the first fat one I saw and squashed his head with my front tire. Well I was later accepted as a member.
        1979 XS 1100 Special - Nicknamed "MONSTER"

ATC fuse box
        Braded stainless brake lines
        4/2 aftermarket exhaust(temp until stock is re-chromed )
        V-Max auto cam chain adjuster
        Brake light modulator with reserve brake light bypass
        Vetter Windjammer III faring
        Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”
        James Madison, The Federalists Papers

Comment

A Cow?

Hey Elevener, in Indiana, if you hit it, you can keep it. Did you get to keep the cow? Steaks, tenderloin, roast, and hamburger. Mmmmmmm.
          1979XS1100SF
          K&N's and drilled airbox
          Jardine 4in1
          Dunlop Elite 3's
          JBM slide diaphragms
          142.5 main jets
          45 pilot jets
          T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
          750/850 FD mod.
          XV 920 Needle Mod.
          Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
          Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Texas, open range. Owner has no responsibility. Im sure he ate the cow though. Well maybe not, does impact screw up meat?
            Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

to many to count

riding around central and western queensland for many yrs,,

have no idea how many dead roos, pigs, sheep, dingo's, cattle, and horses you ride round or thru,{depending on the road train coming towards you} most of them are on the side of the road

the amount of crows, galahs,, cockatoos,, owls you hit, no idea

you just don't ever want to hit wombats,,{ they're like hitting a tree stump}, or emu's, those claws

a good size sugar cane beetle will bring several tears to your eye, if smacked in the right spot

whistling over a rise and round a lefthand corner {yrs ago now} at well over to fast,, I literally rode thru a mob of 7 cattle and 3 horses,, alas the last cow was to slow getting out of the road, and took her arse off with my fairing, smashed the right side of the fairing into floppy mess, lost the mirror, handle bar ended up on the rhs of the tank, and having my hand on the throttle at the time,, ended up instantly very sore with the end of my first finger being nearly taken off by the shattered mirror, along with many other serious cuts, seriously dislocated my 2nd finger,, my hand instantly swelling to a point that my jacket had to cut off in hospital,,

BUT I didn't come off,, got a bit wobbly for a bit,, as I came round the corner, I've seen what was about to happen,, I can remember thinking this is really going to hurt, I centred myself on the seat, relaxed, and closed my eyes, {couldn't think of anything else that would be of any use}
              after the fact, I rode about 3 klm into a small town and an ambulance point, {out there distances are vast so instead of have manned ambulance stations, ambo's use thier houses, they have signs on their front fences} forgot to mention, 11.30 pm

then there's the roo story,, 100kph,, 8 pm 1.2 mtre roo {bout the same size as a 6 yr old kid} went between my front wheel and the engine pipes,, didn't end well, bike instantly changed directions, {as they do} sliding down the middle of the road,, thank goodness for engine bars,, full leathers work a treat,, bit of gravel rash,, got up, picked the bike up, started it and kept going,, bent the fork legs fairly bad, not beyond repair tho

hope no one's eating tea,,

that's travelling in QLD and AUS for you,, no trip is uneventfull
              Last edited by Steptoe; 05-01-2011, 06:52 AM.
              never ride faster than your gaurdian angel
              can fly

1981 rh 5N5
              MIDNIGHTSPECIAL
              1188cc
              4 into 1 pipes with a transac muffler,
              as the motorcycling gods intended everything else stock std

http://s856.photobucket.com/home/steptoexs11
              http://steptoexs11.webs.com/
              http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

1982 vf750 sabre

Comment

Bumblebees

I hit one of those big yellow and black bumblebees that look like hummingbirds when I was about 18. I swear I saw that bee about 50 yards away and watched it home in on my neck. When it hit me it felt like it was flying stinger first. I had a lump the size and color of a cherry tomato where it hit me. Started wearing a full face right after that.
                1979XS1100SF
                K&N's and drilled airbox
                Jardine 4in1
                Dunlop Elite 3's
                JBM slide diaphragms
                142.5 main jets
                45 pilot jets
                T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                750/850 FD mod.
                XV 920 Needle Mod.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolmaker Tim View Post
                  I hit one of those big yellow and black bumblebees that look like hummingbirds when I was about 18. I swear I saw that bee about 50 yards away and watched it home in on my neck. When it hit me it felt like it was flying stinger first. I had a lump the size and color of a cherry tomato where it hit me. Started wearing a full face right after that.
                  Hi Tim,
                  I had the same deal, the venom eff nigh swelled my throat shut. But don't bet on a full face saving you; mine hit a mebbe 1/2" wide gap between my full face chin bar and my leather jacket collar. Those little bastards must have the bio-equivalent of a Norden bomb sight.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                    Those little bastards must have the bio-equivalent of a Norden bomb sight.
                    They absolutely do Fred.... It's called a 'Bee Line'...

I know what you mean Tim, I had the same thing years ago. Layed over going round a corner going way too fast, saw the bee coming and couldnt do squat about it (Any sudden movement at that speed would have been catacylsmic) just had to watch and calculate the speed and point of impact, and knew it wasnt going to be good.

I was wearing a full face, but without a visor, never done it since.
                    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Stinging Critters

Hey Fred and Brian, if you think bees are bad, we have a wasp like bug down here called a cicadia killer. I was out walking one lunch hour and saw a funny looking bug flying in my direction. It sort of looked like a black and white dragonfly. Crazy thing hit me right where your gut and ribs come together. I thought I'd been hit by a 22 bullet. ( don't ask me how I know what that feels like) That one swelled up like you wouldn't believe, but only lasted about a hour before it faded to a small red dot. Found out later what it was from a conservation officer. I'd never noticed them before because they only show up when the cicadia grubs come up to become adults. I guess my white shirt made it think I was a big juicy grub!
                      1979XS1100SF
                      K&N's and drilled airbox
                      Jardine 4in1
                      Dunlop Elite 3's
                      JBM slide diaphragms
                      142.5 main jets
                      45 pilot jets
                      T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                      750/850 FD mod.
                      XV 920 Needle Mod.

Comment

I came home last night after three weeks away. I had to take a spin, even though it was getting dark. My daughter was bugging me to go, and I didn't need much convincing. We didn't get very far before a large doe decided to cross in front of me. She got right in my path and then couldn't decide if she wanted to continue or go back, forcing me to come to a complete stop. It's good that I was going slow.

This morning I had to take a real ride. This time it was a mature black bear that crossed in front of me. Not dangerously close, but it sure got my attention! A few miles further and I ran over an opossum. It came out of the tall grass and I had nowhere to go. I ran over it. That had to hurt! I continued unscathed.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Possums are effin stoooopid...A couple years ago I ran over a Groundhog. He heard my engine and got scared...ran from this field ahead of me and i watched him perfectly time his demise under my wheels. As this was a very narrow backroad i knew it was him or me because i wasnt about to swerve and possibly wreck myself. Sickening feeling to run him over but it was a quick end.
                          1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
                          2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by je2wheeler View Post
                            So far, I had a swollow swoop down from under a bridge and hit me in the chest, fall on my tank and let go with a gutt load of poop before flopping around and taking off again only to get caught in the vortex between my fairing and myself to smack me in the face twice before I could bat it away, what a mess! Then there was a pup that darted out and ran into the front wheel of my '81 Goldwing. The sharp edged spokes of the composit wheel split it open and the innards and such went into the hot radiator. What a stinking mess. Then to top it off, while I was a prospect for a m/c club in south Texas, one of the old time inanition steps that someone just thought up was to cook and eat a road kill armadillo. There was no stibulation on how the road kill was accuried and there were plenty of three banded little fellers waddled across the roads, I aimed at the first fat one I saw and squashed his head with my front tire. Well I was later accepted as a member.
                            What MC? sounds pretty cool!
                            Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
                            Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

Originally posted by barberad View Post
                              I've been fortunate so far, and actually had a deer jump up from a lower pasture on to the road last night about 25 feet in front of me. The new bike is way to quiet. My XJ usually scares them away miles before I get there.
                              Back in Okinawa, i caught one of these beetles in the collar bone at about 50 miles an hour and pretty near bit it. The Okinawan's call them Kanabun.

June Bugs are about that size, maybe bigger, hit me square in the forehead at 65+mph it will bring the stars to you. I needed to stop for a smoke break anyway. My kill count is 2.5 (two ground squirrels and an already hit possum)
                              Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

I hit a deer on a R5 Yamaha about 35 years ago. I saw the SOB along side the road so I slowed down and just when I thought it wasn't going to run in front of me, it did. I was going at a bit more than a walking pace by then. The deer crossed my path from left to right, I swerved left to try and miss in and nailed it in the butt. The deer came down on my right knee when I was on the brakes and the extra pressure broke the rear brake. I road away and the F'ing deer ran off.

Geezer
                                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X