Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever made road-kill with your bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hit a full-grown yellow lab on a 1990 Honda XR200R. I was going approx. 35mph when I hit him and the bike shot straight up in the air. I managed to land the bike on two wheels and keep it going. I looked behind me at the dog and I'm pretty sure he had a broken hip. I was fine, the bike was fine, and the dog was banged up, but alive. About 6 weeks later the dog was right there chasing me again. He didn't get as close to the bike as he used to.
    Current Ride:
    81 XS1100LH Midnight Special
    Tkat Fork-Brace
    Previously Owned:
    79 XS750 Special

Comment

I left for work last week and was wiping the dew off my helmet and all of the sudden there was a DEAD possum in the road and I ran right over it. So, I guess I run over road kill.
      Jeff
      77 XS750 2D completely stock
      79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

I hit a bat last night. It got caught up in the cables near my right grip. It was flopping around there until I could get the bike stopped.

Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Made a 12,082 mile cross-country trip in 2011 and only had one road kill, a young groundhog in PA on the second day of the trip. On a narrow 2-lane road where the grass at the berm hadn't been cut. He ran out so close in front of me I never even braked. Double thumped him and looked in the mirror and he was dead as a doornail and rolling very limply. Almost hit a bison in SD about 3 weeks later. That would not have gone nearly as well.
          80 G "The Beast"
          81 H "The Dresser"
          79 XS650 II
          82 650 Maxim
          70 DT-1 Enduro
          66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
          96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

Bat Wing

Collected up a bat on a dark country rd. Felt it hit my shoulder and then a creepy soft tickling sensation on my neck. Pulled over and found a bat wing stuck on my jacket collar (flapping in the wind and rubbing on my neck)and lots of bat juice and bits on the shoulder.
            Still creeps me out.
            I'm going to need a Gravol now.
            BDF

Shouldn't Marty and Sally's chipmunk story be posted here ?
            I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

Hit a partridge while on my dirt bike when I was young up around the backroads where my cottage was. Huge mess, darn thing flew right into the front spokes and proceeded to re-enact its version of a wood chipper. Feathers and blood everywhere. Was a few cars back once when someone on a sportbike nailed a moose...lets just say, you never want to hit a moose with a bike.
              81 H "Traumaha"
              06 KLR 650
              06 Katana 600 (Sold)
              05 Star 1100 (Sold)
              78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
              79 RD400 (Stolen)
              78 KE175
              Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

Comment

major damage

I didn't vote because an option for major damage was not there....
                I T-boned a cow one night at about 50 mph. I came over a little whoopdy doo about 50 or so on a back highway and as the headlight came down I saw a Black Angus cow standing broadside in the middle of my lane. I never had time to hit the brakes, T-boned her dead center.
                Luckily, I flew over the bars and pretty much cleared the cow doing a somersault and landing on my back. I slid down the road a ways and into a ditch with no real injuries other than a couple big bruises on my thighs, from hitting the bars I think.
                Sadly the bike took a good tumble and was totaled, seemed practically nothing wasn't broken. The cow, and the calf she was carrying were both killed. My heavy leather jacket and helmet were trashed, but I walked away.
                buffalo
                80 XS1100SG

Comment

^ That's sad Probably why I always ride with the brights on. Can't miss a thing a hundred yards in-front of you, if not more.
                  1979 XS1100F
                  2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Nothing Yet!!!

No hits as yet. I live in deer country. I see them at least 3 times a week crossing the road. My biggest fear is hitting one. I don't ride unless I must an hour b/4 dusk to sunrise.

Deny
                    1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                    1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

I have had several close calls with deer on motorcycles over the years, closest was several years ago on the '80G, and when I got home that day after having missed a large buck by literally inches on an overcast day in the summer, I found out that a guy a couple of years older than me had hit a deer within a few miles of me at almost the same time I missed my deer, riding a big H-D and was pronounced dead at the site. Made me sit down and think about things for the rest of the afternoon. Is it purely fate, or do we have some input in the final equation based on our reflexes and experience?
                      Oldbiker648
                      80 G "The Beast"
                      81 H "The Dresser"
                      79 XS650 II
                      82 650 Maxim
                      70 DT-1 Enduro
                      66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
                      96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

I guess

this counts. A bird decided it could fly through my back wheel. All I saw was a puff of feathers behind me. I saw him flying low, thought he was going to hit the bike midsection but missed that and went right in the back wheel.

I am always on the lookout for deer. I slow down at night and try to avoid two lane country roads. Seems like for the past several years with our invasion of there habitat they just hang out on the side of the roads. It gets worse as winter approaches.
                        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                        81 LH
                        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                        Jim

Comment

...COUNTLESS birds; 3 bats (one helmet strike, one chest strike and 1 fairing strike) 2 deer (grazed one and hit one that almost broke my ankle and leg- I STILL have a slight limp but kept the bike up!) and my 2nd rabbit on my last ride last season. I've named my bike "Killing Machine" in reference to the Dickies song "Roadkill"..
                          80 SG

Comment

Motorcycle vs Deer - Yamaha R1 Cuts Deer in Half, Motorcycle Crash Aftermath

Deer Survives Motorcycle Crash

One of the risks of speeding on a public highway.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

I've hit a handfull of of small birds, a few in the chest and a couple hit the bike but thank god nothing bigger. Turkey are always good for an adrenaline rush and I've had to duck a few. A couple of squirls have fallen victim as well, no bid deal and barely felt the bump. Of course it would have been a different story if it was mid turn.
                              '79 XS11 F
                              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Worst I know of was a fellow rider who nailed a deer at 70 riding alone. Survived but had to revive him 3 times on life flight. On tough son of a gun. Laid in ditch and had sense enough we he regained consciousness to call ems.
                                81 LH in process
                                09 vstar 1300
                                only allowed 2

Comment

Working...
                                X