Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever made road-kill with your bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a small bird in the chest a couple years ago - hurt like hell, only brown feathers left - must of been a sparrow. I don't ride around here in the evening as suicidle with all the deer & critters here. Only the tourists bike here in the evening, or at night cause they don't know. I skipped that rule last year - had to give blood in evening & took the bike & on the way home had a huge raccoon literally sitting in the middle of road on the yellow line. Had to come to complete stop - beeped horn & it meandered off. Still have to stop or slow down for deer every once in awhile but at least chances are better than at evening or super early morn. A complete row of over 6 or eight raccoons crossing the road is very scary, they cover the whole road, had that happen one morning- Dan
    '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
    1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
    Rebuilt head, valves
    TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
    Tkat Fork Brace
    T.C. Spade Fuse Box
    Dyna Coils & wires
    Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
    ISO grips with stelleto ends
    4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
    Bridgestone Spitfires
    Tuned by Tinman905
    & a will to keep it.

Comment

A few hits and near misses

Over the past 30 years I have had several bees/wasps go either up my sleeves or down my jacket. I always have to remind myself as they are stinging me to come to a stop before I start flailing at them.

Have had two small birds bounce off me . . . one off my knee the other one hit me in the adams apple which really hurt. To this day I ride with a windshield on my bike to minimize that risk.

About 15 years ago I was cruising down the highway after dark and at the last moment saw a deer start to step out from some trees in front of me. Luckily the deer decided to stop because I don't believe that I could have reacted fast enough to avoid a collision. For this reason I will rarely ride at night anymore, but if I do, I ride very conservatively!

Almost hit my German Shepard last year. I was coming-up the road and he decided to come running at me head-on. I'm not sure if I was more bothered that I might have been hurt or that he may have been injured. I managed to swerve around him and probably missed him by about a foot.
      1979 F
      Mac 4-2 Exhaust
      T-Kat Fork Brace
      Spade Fuse Box Mod
      Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      140.0 Main Jets
      45.0 Pilot Jets
      266 X-2 Needle Jets

Comment

road kill

Hit a deer in 97, killed it, broke the latch on saddlebag and bent the crash bar a bit. Never laid down. Ate the deer.
        put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
        79 F (Blueballs)
        79 SF (Redbutt)
        81 LH (organ donor)
        79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
        76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
        rover has spoken

Comment

I think I have 'hit' the flatest thing out there. Drove over a snake in Kamloops on my Pop's ST1100.

Comment

In a pick up, but still scary

My old boss hit a moose on his way into work... It was already dead, and kind of off to the side of the road, and he ran over its head, I was behind him, and got a good shower from the blood
            There are only two types of bikers...
            those that have layed it down, and
            those that have not layed it down...YET!

1982 XJ1100J Maxim (F-Bomb)
            Not going to lie, Brand new at this... thanks for having a bit of patience with dumb questions

Comment

I hit a raccoon, late at night, driving too fast, when a motorcycle was still new to me. Scared me good.

I hit a bird with my left knee at 65 mph when I was going long and tired. It hurt pretty good.

I ran over a squirrel and the back tire kicked it up and almost hit the bike behind me. It was just a little unnerving as it was in a fast turn and the squirrel was a bit greasy.

I've had close calls with deer and at least one turkey. I don't care to hit those!

Marty (in Korea)
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

So far, 2 snakes on my first E model, 4 snakes, a wabbit and a small roo on my Special. Luckily, I've only had to scrape the fur'n stuff from under the exhaust heat shield on the left hand side. Plus had a Galah smash into my right hand on the bars one afternoon. It didn't break anything on me but it wasn't very well afterwards. Hurt like hell for about a week.
                79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Came close enough to a deer once going about 50mph that it took a couple tries to get my cheeks to release from the seat. Groundhogs scare the crap out of me. They appear from out of nowhere on country roads and have the consistancy of rubber. My brain knows I won't go over the handlebars, but the rest of me isn't convinced. We had a biker hit a turkey buzzard near here last year. He lost control and hit a tree and was killed. Hitting a turkey would be bad.
                  1979XS1100SF
                  K&N's and drilled airbox
                  Jardine 4in1
                  Dunlop Elite 3's
                  JBM slide diaphragms
                  142.5 main jets
                  45 pilot jets
                  T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                  750/850 FD mod.
                  XV 920 Needle Mod.
                  Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
                  Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
                    Plus had a Galah smash into my right hand
                    I had to look up what a Galah was... A Rose-breasted Cockatoo! I have a similar-sized Blue & Gold Macaw at home, and can't imagine hitting one of those with my hand! Ouch!
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

A Galah is also anyone or anything that could otherwise be considered "as dumb as a doorknob", sometimes referred to as a "Flamin' Galah", and I think we've all met a few of those in our lifetimes that we wouldnt mind hitting, just not on a bike
                      Last edited by b.walker5; 04-28-2011, 10:25 PM.
                      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

not a good year for animals around me...either that or the animals are getting just as depressed as most everyone else who lives in the desert...LOL, I hit a rabbit this morning...or as some call them, a desert Hare...my kids would hate me if they knew i killed a little bunny...
                        Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
                        Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

Is a cow a critter?
                          Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post
                            Is a cow a critter?
                            A very LARGE critter!
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post
                              Is a cow a critter?
                              Sounds more like that would make roadkill out of you! Glad your alright!
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

It was back when I was indestructable.....wait a minute. Nevermind I still am.

Oh, and it was on a hardtail harley, please dont tell fred.
                                Last edited by Elevener; 04-29-2011, 08:01 PM.
                                Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Working...
                                X