No announcement yet.

This will start a real fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Ivan: Thats really funny about the birth deformatly etc. I agree I just don't get it why some are set high - that would be uncomfortable. Here I thought I was different with them set low. I guess some "low" brothers are out there in XS land. - Dan
    '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
    1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
    Rebuilt head, valves
    TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
    Tkat Fork Brace
    T.C. Spade Fuse Box
    Dyna Coils & wires
    Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
    ISO grips with stelleto ends
    4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
    Bridgestone Spitfires
    Tuned by Tinman905
    & a will to keep it.

Comment

Actually, the credit for that goes to the far more witty Fredintoon. I hear he doesn't care for applause, so just stick to throwing money.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
        I think people tend to set them too high, which does require a birth deformity or other mutation to make them comfortable as Fred said.
        Hey Ivan,

I resemble that remark!!

I, too, had the Special's Buckhorns on my 81SH when I got it stock. I rode it for several years that way, but with even some modest LDR's, I did feel a fair amount of discomfort in my wrists...and I even had a throttle lock and such. I then got some circa '80's GW bars which still have a modest rise, but position the grips and the wrist angle farther apart and for me, more ergonomic....so my wrists weren't being bent sideways at an awkward angle!

SO...I'm sure it depends on the person's upper body build, how long their arms, how wide their shoulders, etc. that will affect their wrist angle when they grip the bars....so YMMV with Buckhorns....if you like them, yeah, if not then change them.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Those bars in the pic look higher, actually, than the buckhorns TC. Can't really tell about the width.

I've got a friend with a couple "80's" GWs sitting collecting rust. I'll go take look.

A little wider and less angle wouldn't be a bad thing.

Comment

Looks like TC has them on some risers. I found a set of bars that pretty much match those GW dimensions at my local bike shop for less than $30.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

After riding my SG the short distance home from the bike shop where I purchased it I knew one of the first things I had to change was the handlebars. They really hurt my wrists and just feel odd. And at 6'4" I need to eke out every bit of comfort that I can. The SG so far has been o.k. on comfort and big improvement over my last ride. The wrist and low back killing, wedgie inducing, Suzuki Bandit 1200s.

What is an octy??

Tex
              1981 XS1100H

Quando omni flunkus moritati

When all else fails, play dead.

Comment

The octy (short for octopus) is the vacuum operated fuel valve on specials. It is a source of great misunderstanding caused frustration amongst the XS11 comunity. Either you love it or hate it. So, it gets to be a source of antagonism, which is why it was mentioned along with tires and oil in this thread.
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Well my SG runs great. So I recon for the time being I like it.
                  1981 XS1100H

Comment

Well I raised mine up about an inch or so and it did make a slight difference on comfort although I most likely will replace them still.
                    1981 XS1100H

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                      HEY NOW! I'm fairly certain everyone knows me enough here to make it ok to call me a Wise ASS.

Yeah, those ST's look nice. Actually any of the newer sport touring ones look nice for long distance, unfortunately, its my check book that won't go the distance. I promised myself to never finance my toys, so I just have to wait. There was a really nice FJR on craigs list a while back for about $3000, which was tempting.

Maybe I should change my sig to "I'm an iron butt because I am such a tight ass." :wink:
                      LMAOoooo..I did not finance this bike...I loath financing anything...I either buy it outright or I dont buy it at all. I had it at XSEast in case you didnt notice... Laxdad had his ST too
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                      X