No announcement yet.

This will start a real fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always thought I liked my buckhorns, until I did a long trip, about 800 miles in two days and man were my wrists killing me about half way through the second day. On shorter rides they always seemed very comfy. Anyways I switched to a set of standard bars and did a 500 mile day and no problems, so I'm sticking with them for now, I figure I'll be doing 1000+ this weekend and if the standard bars are going to bother me it will show up then.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

From experience, the only way to learn what really hurts on your scoot, is to put about 1,000 miles on it all at once. After that ride, it will be abundantly clear that you do or don't have the right bars, seat, pegs, tire pressure, shocks, fairing, springs, chrome, turn signals,head phones, tank bag, luggage rack, side bags, back rest, license plate, and rider. Pretty much all of those pissed me off on the last leg of my trip with Tod to the east. I hurt so bad I didn't ride for 27 hours.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I just did 600 or 700 in 2 days going to KC and back and riding around there.

The only gripe I have is without a throttle lock my right upper forearm is a little sore from the throttle.

I guess it's a matter of preferance.

Comment

I like the ergonomics of the Special bars. The angle fits me perfectly. I also like the octy, and after replacing the diaphragm in it once, it works great!

A throttle lock, along with a throttle boss (for times when you can't safely "lock" it) and highway pegs really help for long trips. I have also learned that taking 2 Aleve before a trip makes a HUGE difference in how long I remain comfortable. When I rode from Dallas to St. Louis (13 hours, 700+ miles), I was perfectly comfortable when I got home, and could have kept riding.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

f the taps were left on and the gas ain't on the floor, check the oil level.

Thanks Fred. In reality my concerns about the gas leaking out was mostly making the point of why I favor the octy as a safety valve. Someone pulls their car into the garage next to the XJ (along with 2 78's, a 80sg and piles of parts) at least 3 times a day. That's just the stuff I don't have room for here.. I suspect a strong aroma of gas would prompt a call on that matter. On my SF I have the prime taps plugged and use the octy as well. That's how I will set up the XJ. Kinda makes the point about thread counts not being an indicator of a persons knowledge level. I may not speak out much but I pay attention to pretty much everything that goes on here. If you check my post, with a recent exception about rings, I have never asked a mechanical question about these bikes, but have found almost all my answers here

P.S. can someone tell me how to check my oil? Sure they will. Just funnin.
            79SF
            XJ11
            78E

Comment

I love the "Buckhorn Bars" Hell I bought a brand new set from MikesXS cause when I got the bike it had different ones on it. I have mine set so low that the grips just miss the gas tank when the bars are turned fully. My grips are are just above my legs (knees) with the forwards on the bike. So comfortable to me I wouldn't want it any other way. Oh & I also love the look when its parked on the sidestand & the grips are just above the tank. Well thats me - I don't always conform - Dan
              '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
              1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
              Rebuilt head, valves
              TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
              Tkat Fork Brace
              T.C. Spade Fuse Box
              Dyna Coils & wires
              Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
              ISO grips with stelleto ends
              4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
              Bridgestone Spitfires
              Tuned by Tinman905
              & a will to keep it.

Comment

That's about where I put mine. I just eyeball the first section outside the clamps to line up with the line created by the forks as viewed from the side. I think people tend to set them too high, which does require a birth deformity or other mutation to make them comfortable as Fred said.

I guess Fred said what was Right, so can we just abbreviate it to Right Said Fred?

Comment

That's how i set mine. Agree most people set them too high. Wish I could get those tiddly wink XJ bars in the same position. With such a low seat and big tank will never happen.
                  79SF
                  XJ11
                  78E

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                    I didn't like them at all. They felt awkward and looked like ass. IMHO
                    i like ass
                    careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                      From experience, the only way to learn what really hurts on your scoot, is to put about 1,000 miles on it all at once. After that ride, it will be abundantly clear that you do or don't have the right bars, seat, pegs, tire pressure, shocks, fairing, springs, chrome, turn signals,head phones, tank bag, luggage rack, side bags, back rest, license plate, and rider. Pretty much all of those pissed me off on the last leg of my trip with Tod to the east. I hurt so bad I didn't ride for 27 hours.
                      So true Oh Wise One! Thats why I ride my ST1100...after all the aches and pains for me to sit on my XJ and do a LD ride...My ST has totally spoiled me in comfort,handling and range per tank. My XJ is now relegated to daytripping and fair weather only.
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by mxmikie View Post
                        i like ass

Be careful what you say to Ivan..........you might get it.....LOL....

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                          So true Oh Wise One! Thats why I ride my ST1100...after all the aches and pains for me to sit on my XJ and do a LD ride...My ST has totally spoiled me in comfort,handling and range per tank. My XJ is now relegated to daytripping and fair weather only.
                          HEY NOW! I'm fairly certain everyone knows me enough here to make it ok to call me a Wise ASS.

Yeah, those ST's look nice. Actually any of the newer sport touring ones look nice for long distance, unfortunately, its my check book that won't go the distance. I promised myself to never finance my toys, so I just have to wait. There was a really nice FJR on craigs list a while back for about $3000, which was tempting.

Maybe I should change my sig to "I'm an iron butt because I am such a tight ass." :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                            Be careful what you say to Ivan..........you might get it.....LOL....
                            OK...........I just realized I made a mistake on this post.......it should have said HARRY, not Ivan.

Didn't anyone else notice?

Oh well, the statement works BOTH ways....LOL..

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                              OK...........I just realized I made a mistake on this post.......it should have said HARRY, not Ivan.

Didn't anyone else notice?

Oh well, the statement works BOTH ways....LOL..
                              Yeah, I noticed. But figured you had more than two 3.2 beers and were about to start calling me Ed again.

Comment

Heh heh heh..............SPECIAL ed........

Comment

Working...
                                X