Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help translating and/or sourceing electrical components for the LED headlight project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
    Do you know how to set the 555 up to vary the resistance?
    Not off the top of my head, but being that I have a little bit of a background in that area I may well be able to figure it out for you. Give me a few days and then rattle my chain if you haven't heard back from me.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Why not set up the 555 as a free running oscillator and driving a darlington?

Comment

Try Here

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html

Everything you never wanted to know about triple 5's
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
          Why not set up the 555 as a free running oscillator and driving a darlington?
          Whoa there, Guru... You're speaking that other language. If you could be more specific, I would be very thankful. If you don't have the time that's okay.
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Oh, sorry. I got the impression that some of the respondents were familiar with 555's.

The 555 is designed as a timer. You adjust (set) the timing intervals by selecting appropriate r/c (resistor/capacitor) values.

My comment was that if you set the timing to for arguments sake, say 10Hz, use the output of the 555 to drive a high power Darilington transistor, you could flash a light with it.

Keep in mind that the light filament may suffer shortened life from modulating it

Comment

Ok, scratch that part about the filament, we're discussing LED's Du-uh!

Excuse me for not scouring the above posts for this info, but how much current will the LED array be drawing? You have the value in watts or in amps?, either will suffice.

Comment

looks like 12 LED's x 900ma = 10800ma or about 11amps max?????????
                1979 xs1100 Special -
                Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

11 amps? Whoa. If that's correct, it will draw double what the standard high beam draws. 65 watts / 12 = 5.41 amps! I think that would be a step in the wrong direction, especially with the anemic charging systems we have.

Comment

ok, I think I screwed up because I'm sure the LED's don't take 12v. I don't think I've ever seen an led that takes more then 5v...

This is the second time I screwed up today, maybe I need to take the day off from posting and just lurk....back into the shadows I go.....
                    1979 xs1100 Special -
                    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                    My Bike:
                    [link is broken]

Comment

Don't feel bad, it depends on how he's connecting them. Could be a series / parallel combination. For instance, four 3.3v LEDs in series would need 13.2V, damn close to 13.5 nominal battery voltage and all four in series would only draw the equivalent current of one LED. On one aspect you're right, we need more info.

Comment

What I had planed was this; two lights, one for low beam, both for high beam. Each light housing will consist of 2 constant current circuits driving 3 LEDs (3.7Vf @ 900mA) in series. If I incorporate the 555, it would modulate the low beam light, but in high beam, it would be bypassed .... GO!
                        Last edited by 81xsproject; 03-26-2010, 12:23 PM.
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

OK, describe this 'constant current circuit'. Try to explain why you think you need it and how it functions. GO!

Comment

I'm going out on a limb here, seems how I already posted trash in this thread once, but I'm almost positive the Constant Current circuit he wants to use is shown in the very first post...
                            1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                            [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
                              So, as many of you may know, I am attempting to build a 2400 lumen LED headlight. Last time I posted I was looking for answers on building a constant current power supply. Well, I have finally found one that is perfect...

Here is the schematic;

And here is a link to the bill of material:
                              BOM
                              You can disregard the circuit to the right, as it is just there to provide the 5v power supply for running other things like a 555. These high power leds need a very constant current that cannot be obtained from the bikes power soure. I know that my bike with the XJ stator varies from low around 12.2 V at idle to 13.8V at 2500 RPM. I am sure the current also varies greatly with RMP. Even with a resistor, you have very poor efficiency, and the best you can do is try too calculate for the absolute highest current/voltage supplied by the bike and set it up conservatively from there which means when you aren't getting full power, your LEDs aren't either.
                              There are simpler circuits for this, but they lack the efficiency. The constant current allows you not only set the LEDs near their upper limits, but increases the lifespan of the fairly expensive ($5 each) LEDs. HERE is the link to the data sheet on the driver IC.

THIS GUY here goes into a lot more detail on why high power leds need a constant current supply.
                              Last edited by 81xsproject; 03-27-2010, 03:14 PM.
                              '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hey XS81 looks to me like this circuit would need about 16 - 18 volt source to supply constant current at 12 volts,depending on the load.If you need a constant 12 volt supply my guess is you may need to use a switching supply with a transformer then regulate the 12 volt supply off the secondary.IMHO Good luck. Terry
                                1980 special (Phyllis)
                                1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Working...
                                X