Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help translating and/or sourceing electrical components for the LED headlight project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I had thought of computer parts, I threw the idea out with none being large enough. I had not considered using more than one. I suppose the LED's could be mounted to a solid plate/sheet, and that could could have pieced together heatsinks on the back.... hmmm
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

As somebody who cuts aluminum on my tablesaw on a regular basis, a few tips...

For cutting aluminum, you don't need a 'metal' blade per se; a carbide-tipped one is all I use. They do dull rather quickly, so it's just as good to buy several cheap blades as it is to get a 'good' one. By the way, they won't be very good for wood after this...

Look for at least a 40T count; more is better.

Feed the metal slooowly...

I also spray the blade with some Kroil before cutting as that helps with build-up; WD40 also works, just not as well. If the aluminum starts sticking, you're going too fast and/or the blade is getting dull.

Good luck!

'78E original owner
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...