The motorcycle as an artform.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
    Ok, it looks like a good time to ask this question to the xs11 nation.
    I have a 79 xs11 special 7,200 miles in nice shape vin number 950 or so. For now it's all original other than the 1980 tank ,I sold the seat and it didn't come with the grab bar. I've rebuilt the brakes, have the carbs on the way and a pile of very polished parts. I love the xs11 look but the seat has always been too big, too ugly, and too dated for me. I'm ready to cut the frame behind the shocks off and do a factory-ish, solo seat, truimph bonnie type grab bar, short fender bobber with a black and silver motor. I have the seat, and bar ect. It would be kind of like my orange bobber with more of a factory look. I'm doing it for me, but I would think I'll end up selling it at about 10,000 miles or when the next project is done. I'm so close to putting it all back together but I just can't bring myself to cut the frame.......I know I can do a good job, that most people wouldn't even notice it's not factory. Should I do it? or not.

Nice lookin' scoot! I also have a '79 Special. The odometer stopped at 104,000+ miles and I've been riding it that way for the past 4 months. And you want to sell it at 10,000 miles? Mine had 28,000 when I bought it. I think it is a very natural inclination for someone to want to place their own personal “stamp” on a bike. If I had the time and money that some have, I know what I would do to mine: I would lean toward the “Iron Butt” touring direction. To each his own. I would say put your stamp on it and hold on to it. Sell it at 10,000 miles? Are you S*&#ing me?
    Special Ed
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

The only reason I'd sell it at 10,000 miles is that the value would still be high. We all know an xs with 10,000 miles is like new. I have a few xs's and it may take 3 years for me to put 3,000 miles on it. I don't like to drive the clean ones much. They don't stay clean.
      79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
      80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
      80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
      79 DT 100

Comment

The only reason I'd sell it at 10,000 miles is that the value would still be high. We all know an xs with 10,000 miles is like new. I have a few xs's and it may take 3 years for me to put 3,000 miles on it. I don't like to drive the clean ones much. They don't stay clean.
        What is the use of having a beautiful bike if you don't ride it?

It seems to me it's kinda like having a beautiful wife and you don't............................well, you get the picture.

Comment

Give me a break. Sorry you feel that way.
          79 DT 100

Comment

Appreciation of Value

Just another facet of motorcycles as ART:

Those folks who buy it to own long term, ride, and appreciate as a vehicle.

Those folks who buy it to own short term, not ride, and resell for a profit.

Depends on whether or not one views the XS as a classic commodity or as a classic collectible.

Appreciation of ART value or appreciation of $$$ value as ART.

Comment

Is it really all that black and white? So I like to keep 3 xs11's on hand and I part the bad ones out. One to ride and two to work on. Does that make me a bad person? I appreciate them and work to make them nice bikes again. That's a bad thing? Every bike I've ever owned has been far better when I sold it than when I got it. I don't just have a motorcycle, I have a hobby. Working on them is all you can do in north east Pa for 6 months out of the year. I've tried to keep in contact with the new owners of all my x bikes and they have all been happy. Without people like me how would you guy's bikes still be on the road, Yamaha sure doesn't care about you. I take pride in my ebay sales and it makes me happy when I help keep a bike on the road. Look at the feedback left for me. Does that sound like I'm only in it for a profit. Yes I've made some money at it, but I'm only paying the bills.

As far as the beautiful wife thing goes......I would say it's like having a beautiful girlfriend and two others to play with on special days!

My question was, should I make a nice bobber or stay stock? I really wasn't looking for anything more. I had no idea I would step on everybody's toes.
              79 DT 100

Comment

Is it really all that black and white? So I like to keep 3 xs11's on hand and I part the bad ones out. One to ride and two to work on. Does that make me a bad person? I appreciate them and work to make them nice bikes again. That's a bad thing? Every bike I've ever owned has been far better when I sold it than when I got it. I don't just have a motorcycle, I have a hobby. Working on them is all you can do in north east Pa for 6 months out of the year. I've tried to keep in contact with the new owners of all my x bikes and they have all been happy. Without people like me how would you guy's bikes still be on the road, Yamaha sure doesn't care about you. I take pride in my ebay sales and it makes me happy when I help keep a bike on the road. Look at the feedback left for me. Does that sound like I'm only in it for a profit. Yes I've made some money at it, but I'm only paying the bills.

As far as the beautiful wife thing goes......I would say it's like having a beautiful girlfriend and two others to play with on special days!

My question was, should I make a nice bobber or stay stock? I really wasn't looking for anything more. I had no idea I would step on everybody's toes.
                You horrible horrible person.
                My opinion is, make it a bobber, and try to out do your last bobber. That's just me though.
                Joe

78XS1100

Comment

Heh..heh..ease up Lover boy!

Nobody's knockin' you, just sayin' that's all.

I couldn't have a nice scoot like that and just look at it........let alone sell it.

But then....I'm just poor white trash and can't afford to put more time and money into something than I'll ever get back out of or not use myself.

Comment

Profit and Non-Profit

xs11lover,

Bad Person?? Ohh....ummm...no judgemental intentions from my end of things. Just a recognition of how when $$$ in motorcycle resale or in ART (Caps intended...) resale things can get sideways.

I can appreciate how you or anyone would want to distance themselves from the bottom-liners/bubble makers on Wall street who recently went bankrupt or got the federal bailout. Clearly didn't intend to make you feel like you and they were birds of the same feather. I'll take you at your word that you have a hobby and have found a way to financially make it viable/supportable.

Whether to bobber the bike or not to bobber it is a matter of freedom of choice. Really. I've long since given up on justifying my own actions/inactions to anyone who doesn't wear a badge or a judge's robe. (Those are interesting experiences..) I live by the fortune cookie wisdom of "Never Explain. Your friends won't need it and your enemies won't understand it." Many people I knew told me I was WRONG in buying/owning a 30 year old motorcycle when I had the cash to buy a brand new and better one.

So whether you bobber/not bobber...do it unapologetically, unashamedly, and with absolute assurance that you yourself have made an informed choice and are willing to live with the consequences. Part of those outcomes being that some people will approve and some people will not.

Comment

Without people like me how would you guy's bikes still be on the road, Yamaha sure doesn't care about you. I take pride in my ebay sales and it makes me happy when I help keep a bike on the road. Look at the feedback left for me. Does that sound like I'm only in it for a profit. Yes I've made some money at it, but I'm only paying the bills.

Hmmmm…I guess a conscience is a horrible thing to ignore. Suddenly your defending yourself for parting out bikes and selling parts on ebay. I read nothing in any of these post about any of that. Not that I have any real problem with it, other than I hate to see the bikes that are in far better shape than the ones I own turned into parts for sale, to me that says the person is mor einterested in the money in the parts than seeing someone else enjoy the bike. That is a bit depressing and heartless in my opinion. But not the subject of the thread.

I am in the final throws of repairing/restoring an XS11 for resale myself. Having taken what someone may have thought were “artistic” steps with the bike, and corrected them to stock parts, I will say if your not keeping it then leave it stock. My thought is that the next owner will have a lot easier time figuring out what is what on the bike if it is stick and they can read it in a manual. That and it is amazing how much these parts become worth when removed from the bike that was only worth $250 when the person parting it out bought it. So putting it back becomes expensive.

If they want it modified, discuss it and offer to do it for them if they agree to buy it when done to what they want. This can be a tough road to go down though.

As to the ORIGINAL subject of the thread.....Is it ART or not, well, Art to me is something done by an artist, someone who has an image and a heartfelt feeling to express in what ever medium they choose to express it in. If that is a motorcycle then so be it. Hopefully whatever they do to express themselves does not create an unsafe vehicle that is taken out on the road, mostly becasue I hate to see someone else suffer for their errors which is liekly to happen. You hardly ever see an accident that does not involve more than one vehicle.

Thats my 1/2 cent worth.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

OCC American Choppers show cancelled

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...show-canceled/
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Not a motorcycle but definitely art:

click

I think you could do that with a bike as well..
                          Last edited by Mathh; 02-11-2010, 02:12 PM.
                          XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
                          MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
                          Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
                          Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
                          Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
                          Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathh View Post
                            Not a motorcycle but definitely art:

click

I think you could do that with a bike as well..
                            Mathh-
                            You have! And I am disappointed that you didn't post a pic of one of your bikes.
                            As far as I'm concerned, "you be da man!"
                            Special Ed
                            Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                            I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Performance Art/Art of Performance

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                              OCC American Choppers show cancelled

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...show-canceled/
                              So now there's room in the programming schedule. How 'bout setting this dude up with a workshop, soundstage and advertising sponsors:

I'd save/record the episodes where he personally tests them at the track.

Comment

There is an Okie tag on that bike. Who's is it? Chops?

Please excuse my ignorance.

Comment

Working...
                                X