No announcement yet.

The motorcycle as an artform.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you just call me a HOMO? cause last I saw you were the one dancin in a pink tu-tu!
    Joe

78XS1100

Comment

One of my biggest disappointments in life was missing the "Art of the Motorcycle" show when it came to Vegas. I had a "Three days and two nights" freeby that I had won some how, but I just couldn't schedule it... damn!
      I understand that when it was first shown at the Guggenheim Museum in N.Y. it drew the biggest crowds it had ever seen. People were lined up outside for blocks to get in to see it. Like wize when it was shown at the Louvre in Paris.
      The Vincent was a piece of rolling art, as were the early Ducatti twins. If I can find the right CD's I'll post pics of some bikes that I think qualify as art.
      Special Ed
      Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
      I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

As stated by Fred....

This is ART..

I took these at the recent Burt Munro Rally. There was plenty of other "Art" there as well, including some for Fred to appreciate..

Okay, not all of it qualifys as art...

1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly View Post
          I'm certain Capt America's (Peter Fonda) bike was stolen. Possibly Billy's (Dennis Hopper) too.
          Not this one... IIRC what I read on it said there were two of them made...
          This one is in a museum in Iowa:

81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

Ok, it looks like a good time to ask this question to the xs11 nation.
            I have a 79 xs11 special 7,200 miles in nice shape vin number 950 or so. For now it's all original other than the 1980 tank ,I sold the seat and it didn't come with the grab bar. I've rebuilt the brakes, have the carbs on the way and a pile of very polished parts. I love the xs11 look but the seat has always been too big, too ugly, and too dated for me. I'm ready to cut the frame behind the shocks off and do a factory-ish, solo seat, truimph bonnie type grab bar, short fender bobber with a black and silver motor. I have the seat, and bar ect. It would be kind of like my orange bobber with more of a factory look. I'm doing it for me, but I would think I'll end up selling it at about 10,000 miles or when the next project is done. I'm so close to putting it all back together but I just can't bring myself to cut the frame.......I know I can do a good job, that most people wouldn't even notice it's not factory. Should I do it? or not.

79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
            80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
            80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
            79 DT 100

Comment

I love the xs11 look but the seat has always been too big, too ugly, and too dated for me.
              So you have a 31 year old bike that you don't want to look "Dated"?? If you want a newer looking bike, get a newer bike.

If it was something you were doing for you that you were going to keep and ride... it's yours and I would say to each his own. Since you plan on cutting on the frame and then selling it soon after... It's just my opinion to leave it alone.

But as I said.. to each his own and it is your bike.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

' 81, Where did you get THAT SEAT? That looks awesome.
                I think chop it if you don't like it. Otherwise, you will always look at it and think about it until you end up doing it anyway.
                I am really interested in knowing where you got that seat. That is exactly what I have been needing for mine.

p.s. That is a nice looking scoot ya got there.
                Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                  Okay, not all of it qualifys as art...

Gee Brian,
                  how can you say that?
                  A 1930's Ariel SV single outfit towing a trailer that (presumably) hauled in the 4-valve single race bike in the background.
                  That's classic art!
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
                    - - - I love the xs11 look but the seat has always been too big, too ugly, and too dated for me. - - -
                    Hi xs11lover,
                    the important thing about a bike seat is that it should fit the rider's rear end.
                    You are saying that your rear end is too small, too pretty and too modern for the seat.
                    Photos please?
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Ouch,I should have known.
                      I like the style of the xs11 for any date..before or after. The seat just says 1979 kinda goofy.

I made the seat on the orange bobber from a harley seat. The bike didn't reject it.
                      I'm ready for the Harley jabs...No I don't want one.
                      79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                      80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                      80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                      79 DT 100

Comment

I made the seat on the orange bobber from a harley seat. The bike didn't reject it.
                        YET!

It looks ok even though I'm not a bobber fan.

I think Fred might REALLY want some pics.

Comment

What harley did you take the seat from? Did you have to modify it alot or was it pretty much that way. I am in love. I have to have one!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

There's a reason that fenders reach as far back as they do.

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
                            - - - I'm so close to putting it all back together but I just can't bring myself to cut the frame.......I know I can do a good job, that most people wouldn't even notice it's not factory. Should I do it? or not. - - - -
                            Hi xs11lover,
                            to cut or not to cut, it's up to you. But while a few moments with a Sawzall will do the job, there's no backsies without a load of work should you change your mind afterwards.
                            And while a truncated rear fender may look real nice, a ride in the rain with one will get you a muddy streak up your back that won't look nice at all.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

You are not supposed to ride "art" in the rain!

Comment

Originally posted by t71ford View Post
                                You are not supposed to ride "art" in the rain!
                                Its been said that singing in the rain is a wonderful fdeling that will make you happy again, so if you are ever riding some OCC "art" and it starts to rain, the logical conclusion is to sing, and twirl your scoot around a lamp post.

I would say that the best customizations are at speed with the pegs being beveled and your engine guards chamfered. Now THAT, my friends, is art.
                                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                                X