The motorcycle as an artform.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The motorcycle as an artform.

I have sometimes been upbraided on this list for expressing my disapproval of those who "hardtail" bikes that formerly had rear suspension and make other Teutelisations to stock machines in order to create "works of art"
    It has been said "A motorcycle is a work of art that is best seen while in motion."
    Thus, the best art is the art that moves the best.
    It follows that modifications to a stock motorcycle that reduce it's rideability also reduce it's aesthetic appeal.
    Similarly, scratch-building a motorcycle that rides poorly is also bad art.
    A prime example of good motorcycle art?
    Anything built by John Britten, who didn't give a sh1t what his bikes looked like so long as they performed.
    A prime example of bad motorcycle art?
    Any of the creations one sees on TV chopper-building shows, where the builders don't give a sh1t about how they perform as long as they look "artistic".
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Hey there pilgrim, there ain't romm enough in town for the two of us.

Meaning, that I thought I was bad about starting "stuff". hehe.

I am in total agreement though. My personal favorites are well mainted stock bikes from the pre-vtwin-cruiser era. Chopped raked bobbed and otherwise modified for appearance are not up there for me. I can appreciate that these guys put in a lot of work, and that they really like their scoots like that, but I always ask myself "why?"

SOme of the euro street fighters are kinda cool though. But I guess that would be a chopper from a sportbike.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Gosh Fred

I don't know...
      If you compare motorcycles to art then you also have to take into consideration the various art forms... impressionism, realism, cubism, etc.
      Not everyone appreciates all forms of art either...

So while you definitely have a right to your opinion and many may agree... not all will...

Personally, I wouldn't make a hardtail out of any bike... because I love my spine... but to tell someone else something they like is wrong simply because it doesn't work for me... is kind of... well... one sided, maybe?
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

That Britten is truly a piece of Art, and a story that cannot be told often enough. A shame he died so young... Must have a pic somewhere from that bike doing a stoppie....
        XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
        MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
        Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
        Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
        Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
        Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildkat View Post
          I don't know...
          If you compare motorcycles to art then you also have to take into consideration the various art forms... impressionism, realism, cubism, etc.
          Not everyone appreciates all forms of art either...

So while you definitely have a right to your opinion and many may agree... not all will...

Personally, I wouldn't make a hardtail out of any bike... because I love my spine... but to tell someone else something they like is wrong simply because it doesn't work for me... is kind of... well... one sided, maybe?
          Hi Kat,
          while there's all kinds of visual art, a motorcycle is mobile art. My premise is that modifications that improve a bike's ability to move, such as the upgrades to brakes and suspensions and the removal of Tupperware on Ivan's street fighters is good art while O.C.Choppers' essentially unrideable raked out rigids are bad art.
          It's like those artists who try to emulate Picasso without first learning to draw.
          Segueing into Picasso and loving your spine, there's a work of his that I like. Just two brush strokes, a vertically stretched S for a backbone crossed by a curvy W to represent the buttocks.
          Really erotic but you couldn't ride it.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'....

While I understand where Fred is coming from, not everyone has the technical expertise to personalize their ride with only 'functional improvements', AKA 'form follows function'. So for some, an esthetic change is the only avenue open to them. And this will very often introduce compromises into the machine that the owner will have to decide if they can live with.

Let's face it; for many owners, the whole point of modifying is to be noticed. And that can be hard, particularly if you're on a budget. So you'll see cheap, stupid mods or ones carried to such an extreme they become stupid.

I will partially agree with Fred on one point; any modified bike (or car, or whatever) should retain at least some of it original utility. If you can't legally use it for it's intended purpose, it's pretty much useless IMO. Go to any show, and you'll see too many examples that are 'Fairgrounds Queens' only and can only be looked at as 'art' because they sure aren't motorcycles anymore.

So while I love to see a technical 'Tour de Force' as much as the next guy, sometimes it's fun to see other peoples interpetation of an idea, even if it isn't practical.

'78E original owner
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The freedom to do whatever the hell you want to whatever the hell you want, is art to me.
              Joe

78XS1100

Comment

Originally posted by joceiphus View Post
                The freedom to do whatever the hell you want to whatever the hell you want, is art to me.
                Right on, I have always wanted to put big mudder tires on a scoot with a pink and purple theme and a big rainbow logo on the side of the tank. When can you bring your bike here?
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Although no longer what I would prefer to ride, I do still like the looks of these two bikes.

Does their use in a movie (an art form) also make them an art form?
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Since we are all philosphical, if the work of Jesse James is "bad art", why is it so darn popular? I would tend to agree more with Kat that any style of bike is another "form" of art. The choppers of Jesse James (which I do not really care for either) are certainly more popular than the pristine stock XS11's here. I think ratty versions of choppers and alley builds would be considered the bad art, rather than one interpretation from another. Plenty of people here don't like what I do to bikes either, but it is driven purely by my own aesthetics, not what other are telling me. That would make my bikes art also; reliant on the inspiration, not the interpretation.
                    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly View Post
                      Although no longer what I would prefer to ride, I do still like the looks of these two bikes.

Does their use in a movie (an art form) also make them an art form?
                      For the record, In an interview I saw some time ago, Peter Fonda told the reporter " It was a beautiful bike, a bitch to ride though".

I believe those were his exact words.

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                        For the record, In an interview I saw some time ago, Peter Fonda told the reporter " It was a beautiful bike, a bitch to ride though".

I believe those were his exact words.
                        "A beautiful bike".... beautiful as in art?
                        Pat Kelly
                        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

HEY IVAN!!!!

come on man, why you gotta bring pink bikes into this? i'm working on it, okay?
                          1980 XS 1100 Special (working to be my daily ride)

Comment

Well...Yea.

It sits in a museum now................Motionless.

It ALSO has NO front brake.

Comment

Interesting points here...I like the looks of bike by OC Choppers...from purely an asthetic point of view...not a funtional point of view. Would I ever ride one? Hell No...but IMHO theyare an art form in unto themselves...and as was said ..."Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X