Set and forget tensioner (For XJs too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CA View Post
    Anybody have an extra one they received when they got one? The only one on ebay is 50 bucks! Would love to get my sausages on one!
    You better grab that one while you can.They're getting real scarce, and more expensive by the minute.

Comment

ehh

Well I may just pass on it then...Not ready to drop that much for an update when mine is probably working just fine...just leaking a bit!
      1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

Comment

I think one of these will work

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-VMax-V-Ma...item1e58e5b06d

http://cgi.ebay.com/VENTURE-ROYALE-1...item27ae293c74
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Can anyone verify if the Venture one will work on the XS?
          80 SG
          81 SH in parts
          99 ST1100
          91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by laxdad View Post
            Got one on mine!

Comment

Anybody want to go in with me?

Anybody want to split one of these with me?

Thanks for the heads up tarzan.
              1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

Comment

Both of those posted by tarzan will work.

The secret to eBay is to have patience. Just enter a search term, like "Venture Tensioner" and look around for the "Save this search" link, and you will get email updates for the next six months. So, that will help you get items in your watch list, and you can pounce when the price is right.

Another option is to sort the list to only show options with "or best offer" and make offers for ridiculously low amounts. That's how I get most of my stuff on eBay. Some times it pisses them off when you offer than $10 for a 89 V Max, but you don't want to deal with a cranky seller anyway. If you see a set that has $20 shipping, you know they are going to send it in the $4 flat rate box at the post office, so offer them $.10 and shipping.

So there are ways to get these on the cheap. But for saving the leaks and frustration of a slipping tensioner, I would pay the $50 just for the peace of mind, after the fact. I wouldn't have when I didn't know if it would work or not.
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

cam chain tensioner

Ca............sent you a PM.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by laxdad View Post
                    Oops, didn't read the thread.....Now I have
                    80 SG
                    81 SH in parts
                    99 ST1100
                    91 ST1100

Comment

Does anyone have a spare/second autotensioner? I'd rather buy one from a forum member than off ebay. Is there any reason this wouldn't work on an '81 Special?

Comment

I do not have a spare, but I have installed this mod on two 81 specials. Perfect fit, no problems.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

XMV(Venture/V-MAX) Auto tensioner..........plug and play on all year model XS/XJ's.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

no luck

I can't find one of these anywhere. Can someone either be kind enough to share a spare (I know some of you guys got two) or at least find a link for me? I know these things are pretty cheap - I'd be glad to buy one for $20 which should more than cover what some of you paid for two of 'em...

Comment

Hey New...Begging is so unbecoming.

Actually, they started off really inexpensive then when they started selling after Ivan posted this, the price skyrocketed to about $50 each. I think it is back down now but it seems there are more XS11s around than there are parted out models with this tensioner.

Best bet is to keep looking on ebay, and know all the models that have this tensioner. I know both the 1300 and 1200 models of Venture will fit, Others have used the VMAX, but I thought perhaps with some modification of holes.

Patience is a virtue. Yeah, I'm not all that virtuous either.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

I was about to visit my local cycale wrecking yard to find some tensioners (hopeing he didn't know the current market status of said tensioners). On a random search of Ebay I scored a pair cheaply. One installed on the E. The other needs some black paint before finding it's home on the MNS.
                                Pat Kelly
                                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                                X