Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sho nuf! cant wait to go ride today!!!

Originally posted by wlsmoku View Post
    whew - looks like it went to the counter shaft outer gear (c clip and washer)....not sure how it came off...def wasn't by me, but all is well and it's back in its place.

Comment

clutch feels weak now though, but my cable was in a slight bind.....i'll update tomorrow!
      Replacing the clutch springs would fix that. If it gives you trouble, they're cheap, but you'll have to open the right side of the engine case again.. Just be sure to adjust the clutch properly, and you may need to adjust it again after riding a couple days, after things settle into place.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

i hope it's just out of adjustment because it felt great before I took it apart "fingers crossed"

Comment

What happened to the metal chunk?

i hope it's just out of adjustment because it felt great before I took it apart "fingers crossed"
          I'm glad it's working for you but did you ever figure out where that broken chunk of metal in the oil pan belonged? If not, can you post a better picture of it?

Seriously, I wouldn't be worrying about adjusting the clutch and riding until I knew what it is and where it came from. It's just wrong. I think I recognize it but I can't be sure from the picture.

Regards,

Scott
          Last edited by 3Phase; 09-03-2009, 07:00 PM.
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

yeah scott - I answered ya...twice

it went to the shaft ya pull out to get the forks out. the outer gear thats attached has a c clip and washer. when I went to pull the shaft out for the fork removal, the gear slid off, so luckily nothing bad ever happened....all is perfect.....no leaks.....just a slippery clutch.....for now.

wrenched on race cars for years, but this was my 1st go at a bike...whole new world, but fun experience for sure! (now that it's over haha)

Comment

yeah scott - I answered ya...twice
              Well, yeah, you answered T.C. and Tod about the two pieces, the washer and clip, that fell off of the oil pump idler gear but there is a third piece in your oil pan photo. It's your bike.

Regards,

Scott
              -- Scott
              _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

thats answered....it's RTV.....there was a crap ton of it in the pan

Comment

thats answered....it's RTV.....there was a crap ton of it in the pan
                  I need new glasses anyway... the RTV looked like a piece of a broken shift fork or engine case casting sitting there in the pan next to the washer and clip. Never mind!

Regards,

Scott
                  -- Scott
                  _____

Comment

glad ya weren't right!!

any thoughts to the clutch slipping now? it was perfect before this. when I tore it apart, I left the cable in the cover, and just bungee'd it out of the way. I took my time on the star flange that covers the springs....wiggling as I reinstalled....just seems odd to have it slip now. should I mess with adjusting the cable, or just drain the oil, and pull that cover again? thoughts?

Comment

Is the clutch "Slipping"?

1. You hit the gas, and the engine revs, but the wheel doesn't turn like it should?
                      2. Or, when you pull on the clutch cable, the gears don't totally disengage?
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

heres a few quick pics for ya (minus the mufflers)

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                          Is the clutch "Slipping"?

1. You hit the gas, and the engine revs, but the wheel doesn't turn like it should?
                          2. Or, when you pull on the clutch cable, the gears don't totally disengage?

option 1 for the win

Comment

Hey Wlsmoku,

When you took the clutch case off, you should have had to take of the adjusting cover, and that's where you need to begin, following the guide in the tech tips or manual, and getting it properly slackened. THEN you'll want to adjust the cable at the handlebar for your feel, but needs to have about 1/4" slack when released to ensure full release of throwout lever.

THEN, if still slips....BTW,did you put in regular Dino oil or Synth...then you'll know you need to go back in with new springs, and perhaps also a new steel, or washer spacers UNDER The springs, not next to the star plate!
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

looks like I am good to go - spent a few min adjusting it last night and it's perfect again!

feels great to have my 1st project be such a success! time to put some miles on her today

thanks again for everyones help - it made all the difference!

Comment

Right on! It was the simple adjustment fix and not the pour-money-into-it-and-keep-pouring-until-it's-fixed fix!

The bike looks good without the mufflers.

Regards,

Scott
                                -- Scott
                                _____

Comment

Working...
                                X