newb from KC, MO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newb from KC, MO

thanks for all the great tech here - was linked here from xjbikes.com for my 2nd (and 1st) gear prob I am having with my new purchase.

no pics yet, but just bought an 82 xj1100 in pretty good shape, 35k miles for $900. not a smoking deal considering I now have to tear apart the trans, but I'm game.

thanks to this site, I was able to find out what triple trees to change over to be able to run round handle bars as well.....MANY thank yous...I already ordered one online for the swap

plans are to fix the gears and ride it as is until winter, then chop/cut/rebuild. 12 degree rake add to the front, and 6" stretch to the rear (yep...I realize it's shaft driven), single seat, strip wiring except for essentials including new tach and speedo. paint wheels either silver or black, add WWW tires (already have), and either buy or build some kind of exhaust (just gotta do research to try to get a good deep sound if possible)

Welcome.
    Have you already found the tech tips on the second gear fix?
    Just enter "second gear fix" in a search.You should come up with all kinds of threads about it,as well as step by step with pics.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Hmmmm...

I hate to see these old bikes get parted out, but even that is better than taking one and chopping it up.

It's your bike, but that's just my opinion. Good luck with it.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Quote: "just bought an 82 xj1100 in pretty good shape, 35k miles for $900. not a smoking deal considering I now have to tear apart the trans, but I'm game."

Sounds to me like a heckava deal... considering I gave TWICE that for my '82 XJ with the exact same problem... didn't I Tod?

And, to each his own... but I'm with Tod about choppin' your XJ...
        (especially since they only built the U.S. versions just one year.)

Welcome to the forum, and we love pics...
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Well I agree with Tod also but it's your bike.Maybe ride her a little while before the sawzawl you might change your mind.If not I won't hold it against you.Welcome to the forum lots of good info here and we want pictures!

Terry
          1980 special (Phyllis)
          1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Yeah, keep your eyes open for an old XS650. Lots of them on craigs list, and there are a lot more customization options set up for those. For some reason the 1100s just don't have the chopper following that the 650s do.

But hey, its your scoot. I am always down for some thing unique, so have fun and keep us up with some pics.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! There are a bunch of guys in the KC area if you need some hands-on help fixing your bike. We actually just did that same fix on mine in Russ79's garage about a month ago. It's really easy (step-by-step instructions in the tech tips on this site) and takes only a few hours. I too hate to see these bikes chopped up, but there are a few guys on here who have done it. Good luck!
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

woohoo, another member in KC

Welcome to the site. There is a pretty good group of us here in KC. Give me a shout if you have any questions about the second gear fix. I have done it a few times. And post some pics when you get a chance, we love pics.
                Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                '82 XJ1100
                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
                  Welcome.
                  Have you already found the tech tips on the second gear fix?
                  Just enter "second gear fix" in a search.You should come up with all kinds of threads about it,as well as step by step with pics.
                  I did - will that mod work for my 1st gear prob as well? it doesn't really say.

thanks for the warm welcome everyone - very appreciative

I assumed I'd get a lil gruf from cutting up the bike from this forum...I def get that....hope ya dont cringe TOO bad when it's all said and done, and I will do my best to be tasteful with the mods....I would be heartbroke if I ruined the bike.

one quick question that I am missing on my searches - where is a good place to order the parts for the gear issue I am having, and what gaskets are avail that I will need? I realize I may have to make some of them

thanks again guys, and I'll try to getcha some pics today

Comment

That fix will work with any of the gears. I have done it for 1st, 2nd AND 3rd. (Yes, 3 separate times!). No parts needed. Just a few tools. You grind the existing gears so they will mesh properly again. The gaskets can be replaced with any engine gasket stuff in a tube. I use Ultra Black, while some use Yamabond, and there are a few others that will work too. Just be sure to clean the surfaces thoroughly with brake parts cleaner to get all the oil residue off of them before applying the sealer.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by wlsmoku View Post
                      ...... plans are to fix the gears and ride it as is until winter, then chop/cut/rebuild. 12 degree rake add to the front, and 6" stretch to the rear (yep...I realize it's shaft driven), single seat, ....
                      Wow! Really hope to see a build thread on this with lots of pictures. Already have several questions specifically related to the rake and the rear end stretch and would like to see some more detail on how you plan to accomplish these.

Comment

Hey Wlsmoku,

Welcome, congrats on your find! Why stop there with the stretch, might as well add a Chain Drive rear while you're at it, so you can put on a bigger fatter rear tire to go along with the whole chopped theme!

As for the gear fix, see the tech tips, you'll find several regarding the Dremmel fix with photos of 1st/4th gears that mesh and their dogs/slots which are flat faced, vs. the 2nd/5th gears which are round, and how to grind them, the whole pictorial walkthru process! The XJ's seem to wear out 1st first for some reason, but 2nd won't be far behind, so do both sets while you're in there!!!

Don't know what TT's info you found for the round bars, the recent threads didnt' CHANGE/swap the TT's, just the clamps that fit into them for adding the round bars!

Speaking of 650's, they run the same size front wheel, so if you want wire spokes, they are a plug and play....I think....not sure/don't remember how the front discs are mounted to the hub of the wire spoked wheels vs. the aluminum mags? Hope/don't think they are DRUM? I'm talking about this, because to put on a really fat rear, you'll need to get a different RIM than the OEM, and a wire spoke might be one style you would find, vs. other mag style.

Looking forward to seeing the photos and writeup!
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

paint wheels either XXXXXX orBLACK

mro
                          Hi wlsmoku, welcome to XS land!

Comment

my first "fix" isn't gonna be a simple one it seems.....in the middle of the 2nd gear fix and when I pulled the tranny pan, this is what I saw:

still pulling it apart, just extremely bummed....theres a TON of junk in the pan

Comment

The washer and circlip look like what holds the shifter sector in place, so that may not be a big deal.

I can't see the third piece well enough to tell what it is.
                              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                              X