newb from KC, MO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Wlsmoku,

If you have already taken off the shift lever cover, and haven't found any circlips missing from the shift pawl mechanism...there are 2 on that side, one next to the engine case, and one on the outside of the shift pawl lever.

Then, that circlip is from the OTHER end of the shift fork shaft...where the oil pump idler gear is mounted to the end of it. You'll want to inspect the shaft closely to ensure that the little dowel pin that's supposed to be near the idler gear end is still intact.

I, too, can't see/make out the other part in the pan?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

whew - looks like it went to the counter shaft outer gear (c clip and washer)....not sure how it came off...def wasn't by me, but all is well and it's back in its place.

looks like all the dogs can use some grinding, so I got my work cut out for me tomorrow.

feeling more confident now, just wish I didn't find so much metal shavings in the pan.

the forks are in "ok" shape I think...only real wear is it looks like the gears rub on them on one side of the two downward facing forks.....hope thats normal.

will follow up as I make progress, and hopefully get you all some pics!

Comment

thanks for the info topcat, very appreciated!

the other long piece is just excess silicone.....it's everywhere in there as well

Comment

OH! one other thing....why would the shift lever and shift pawn dots NOT line up??? when I took the cover off, it was off a tooth???

pic of part I am talking about taken from the tech thread and how it's SUPPOSED to be

Comment

Originally posted by wlsmoku View Post
            OH! one other thing....why would the shift lever and shift pawn dots NOT line up??? when I took the cover off, it was off a tooth???
            Whoah! Either the P.O. had a case of chimp rage or you pulled the shift lever shaft out slightly when you removed the side cover and it slipped a tooth. After you get the shifter dots lined up make sure you align the shift pawl with the shift drum before you put the side cover back on.

Put the transmission in 2nd gear and look at the shift drum and the shift pawl. There is a scribe mark on each one that should line up.

If they don't line up, carefully bend the lockwasher tab flat and loosen the locknut on the elliptical adjusting screw next to the shift lever shaft in the picture you linked. Turn the screw back and forth until the two scribe marks line up on the shift drum and the shift pawl. Tighten the locknut back down on the adjusting screw and bend the lock washer back in place.

Temporarily put the shift lever back on the shifter and carefully shift the transmission up and down through the gears a couple of times, then check the alignment marks again while the transmission is in 2nd gear to ensure they're still aligned.

Remove the shift lever, bolt up the side cover and put the shift lever back on.

Regards,

Scott
            Last edited by 3Phase; 09-01-2009, 08:18 PM. Reason: Bat eyesight
            -- Scott
            _____
            ♬
            2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
            ♬

Comment

dang....thanks Scott! I will have to read that a few times as I go along I'm sure

I was wondering the same if it coulda popped out when I pulled the cover, so I was testing that theory, and it has to move out quite a bit to actually free flow, then BACK into the slot.....just seemed very unlikely.

Comment

Is that clip and washer on the shift pawl you see there to the left of that pic? You can see it in this next pic on the gold colored pawl also. As stated, there's also other alignment notches as seen in red here...I bet you'll just have to get it in 2nd and align back up the pawl marks. I've never had to adjust one with the screw.

If that clip is still there on that pawl, then you'll probably need to take off the clutch cover, remove your clutch basket, and put that clip and washer back on your oil pump idler gear seen in this pic to the right of what the arrow is pointing at.. You can see the clip and washer installed there in the pic.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by wlsmoku View Post
                  it has to move out quite a bit to actually free flow, then BACK into the slot.....just seemed very unlikely.

Okay, a P.O. with chimp rage then.

You can see the shift drum, shift pawl, the alignment marks and the elliptical adjusting screw in the picture you linked and in the pictures Tod just linked in his reply.

The shift drum is the round part on the left side of the photo with the odd starfish-shaped washer on it.

The shift pawl is the hooked peice of metal that fits over the shift drum and rotates it when you move the shifter.

The elliptical adjusting screw is on the lower right below the shift lever shaft.

Again, make sure you're in 2nd gear before you try to align the marks.

Regards,

Scott
                  Last edited by 3Phase; 09-01-2009, 08:45 PM. Reason: Tod: fastestest picture-poster in the west!
                  -- Scott
                  _____
                  ♬
                  2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                  1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                  1979 XS1100F: parts
                  2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
                  ♬

Comment

how much of the dogs can you "safely" grind off? my 2nd gear is pretty rounded over....

Comment

Grind off enough so they are no longer rounded over. You only need to grind the one side, but be sure to grind the same amount from ALL the dogs on that gear. Be sure to test fit before puting it back together. You might try measuring them with a set of calipers to be sure they're all the same too.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

so it's ok if I have to remove about 1/3 of each dog?

Comment

I would say that's about as far as you'd want to go, bit it should be fine.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

many thank yous....back to the garage

Comment

bike shifts GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! maaaaany thank you's fellas!!!

clutch feels weak now though, but my cable was in a slight bind.....i'll update tomorrow!

Comment

Did you find where that clip and washer in the pan came from?

Tod
                                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                                '06 Suzuki DR650
                                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                                '81 XS1100 Special
                                '81 YZ250
                                '80 XS850 Special
                                '80 XR100
                                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Working...
                                X