No surrender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem Solved!

Ok I just took the carbs off and drained the gas...took off the float bowls and I find the #2 pilot jet is missing in action...I mean its not there..WTF?TC and I put them in but somehow #2 isn't there...I have to go to Photobucket to post the pics...so next post will have 'em BRB......
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Pics here

Pics are alittle blurry in order from top to bottom 1-4...note #2 pilot is missing...floats spring fine and look even so this is the most obvious thing ..this has to be it...but where did the Pilot jet go???????
      hers a better shot of #2
      Last edited by madmax-im; 08-11-2008, 09:33 AM.
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hey BNE,

I KNOW for a fact that I put that jet in there, and SNUGGED it in properly, you helped me to throw away the old jets, you SAW me put it in there!?

Check your float bowl, and check around the inside of the carb body in the float area, cause it couldn't have fallen out with the carb sealed!

Yes, a missing pilot jet would definitely be the cause, but I KNOW I put one in each carb when we were working on it, I KNOW I DID!!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I found the Pilot jet

When I dis-assembled the float bowls it must have fallen out onto the work bench...so I'll put it back in and put everything back together and see what we get....keeping my fingers crossed
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

"Pictures are blurry..."

Must be another case of the blind leading the blind.
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Success to the Railroad!MAX IS CURED!!!!!!!!!

IN my case the blind leading a deafie....LMAOooo
              OK!!!SUCCESS TO THE RAILROAD! He Lives ,He Breathes ,He Growls!...He is running pretty damn smooth..Lower Rpm launces are normal no lugging engine...and I did the spritz of water on all the exhaust headers and they are ALL HOT!Cant explain how that pilot got out but it did...I had some difficulty in the reassy of the carbs...with that damn octopus but now I know what goes where.So I may not have obtained Guru status but I am more enlightened than I was even this a.m.Acceleration in all gears is smooth as silk..the tranny gears are strong and pull without any slippage...carbs feel pretty good and throttle response is very good...so all those other things I was gonna check..I didn't need to...it was the missing pilot jet that was causing the problem.
              I am soooooooo happy this is finally solved!...only thing left is that damn oil leak...its not coming from the neutral light switch either
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Thank goodness, Ben. Now will we get to see her at the next get-together?

Comment

Originally posted by randy
                  Thank goodness, Ben. Now will we get to see her at the next get-together?
                  Its a Him not a Her...but I just rode him for an hour and I've noticed acceleration above 5000 rpms and something is holding the bike back...engine is revving fine but it feel like the drivetrain isnt getting all th power it should ...at cruising speeds its fine.Accelerating thru the gears seems like the engine is revving ok but the the speeds dont seem to be right...it should be going down the road ...with less resistance......maybe its the fairing wind resistance.There just seems to be something "dragging"on the drivetrain.Also accerleration at or above 5000 RPMs isn't as crisp...has some hesittation...what do you all think?Actually I'd like to have someone else ride him for an objective observation...Maybe its the extra plate TC put into the clutch to give the springs a better specs.
                  At any rate he will be at the next XS event wherever that might be...
                  Last edited by madmax-im; 08-11-2008, 03:59 PM.
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

On second thought

At or above 5000 RPMs the bike is not hesittating...its accelerating in whatever gear...the drivetrain is making power to the wheels but as I accelerate past 5000 the power starts to drop off...for lack of a better term...I would not call this a slip,but its pulling then it seem to lose that effect...hard to put the subjective into objective terms for you all to understand what I'm feeling.Wishing someone could take it out for a ride.....
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Ride it a bit and then get off and hold your hand right next to the brake calipers to see if any of them are hot.. especially the back one. Front ones you can usually feel a brake hanging a bit since you'll usually get a vibration up into the handlebars. It's been a while for it now as well as being turned upside down.. plenty of options to get some crud knocked loose and get caught in the spooge hole.

Also.. did you replace that fouled plug? I've also noticed that on some days, the bike feels good and strong, and on others.. ehh.. so so. Is it just me.. or is it really the bike?? Hard to say for sure.

BUT... if you want to ride it out here to Oklahoma... I think a few of us could get together and (Subjectively of course) and ride the #$%& out of it all you wanted us to!

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Nope

Brake calipers are cool...re rode the bike and it is slipping in 3rd gear above 5000 RPMs...Can get the bike to 6000 RPMs in 4th and it pulls fine...funny that the bike is no longer idling smooth and sometimes at a stop the idle revs higher but will come back down...I did readjust the idle and it seems to be ok...In 5th gear at cruising speeds if I give it full throttle it is hesitant and slow to respond..without a downshift
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hey BNE,

Glad you found the missing jet! I was off work this AM, but had to go in after 12pm, that's why I didn't reply to your PM, but I saw that you figured out the Octy...FUN eh?!

Aside from the Octy, did you put both vacuum hoses back in place? 1 that activates the Octy you probably did, but did you get the smaller one from the #2 carb body plugged into the vacuum advance/boost sensor box up above the carbs?? IF that was missed, that could account for the NOW rising idle, and possible loss of power due to lack of vac. adv. signal to the TCI?

You have real K&N air filter pods, I didn't check their mounting ring, but would expect that they DON'T have the prominent LIP on the mounting edge that is known to cause problems with air flow in the ports of the inlet bell of the carbs at the higher rpms!?

As was stated, you kept the OLD good plugs, so you could check the new #2 plug and IF it looks much darker than the others, it could be fouled again, and you could replace it with one of the other older plugs!

The fairing can produce some drag, but it actually is fairly aerodynamic, and folks report that it helps the bike to cut thru the air better, is more stable with cross winds and opposing gusts like from Semi-tractor/trucks!!
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi TC...yes I got all the hoses attatched correctly...I will check the #2 plug..it was a new one but it was fouled after running one tank of gas with seafoam in it...stupid me..I reinstalled the same plug...I will change it out tmrw...its getting too dark now and my back is acting up again...Time for a little celebratory drink Max is alive and kicking..I think he just needs alittle tweaking...I'd like to get the carbs re-synched and have someone verify that I do indeed have the Octy routed correct.Is it possible to cross any of the hoses on the Octy and have it still work? Or is it an All or Nothing proposition?
                            As for fun with the Octy...lets just say you would be happy to not have been there...because I was not the picture of serenity...
                            Last edited by madmax-im; 08-11-2008, 06:17 PM.
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Been there before with my octy... that's why it hasn't been THERE for a long time now! lol. Not even because it's such a PITA... but it just looks aesthetically so much better with it gone.. much cleaner area.

Tod
                              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100
                              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

OK how is it done?

I'd like to get rid of it...does it matter that I dont have the stock airbox?What is kept and how is this routed...any threads on the subject???Diagrams?My bike is the '82 XJ1100
                                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X