No surrender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No surrender

There are 2 types of ppl who frequent here.Those that can work on their bikes and those who cant ...While i fall somewhere in between I am more of the latter.But i am not raising any white flags.I am fed up though with the state of affairs with my '82 XJ...therefore I am calling in the reinforcements.I have decided to pay someone who is very familiar with bike restoration etc....and they will get the bike back up and on the road in short order...I am going to South Carolina for this work....trailering the bike to Myrtle Beach...looks like in early Aug.A week at MB and getting Max back in order...will be a good birthday present for me.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Is that person Jackhammer?
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Ben,

Please give us an update as to what I did wrong the first time around. For those of you who don't recall, we did the gear replacement at Ben's place back in (April?) and when he test drove it, it had NO 2nd or 5th gears! The most logical conclusion we could come up with is that I got one of the forks turned 'round upside down, but I'd sure like to know!

And the dumbass award goes to.....

Yours truly!

Comment

AWWW darnit

Randy I am not blaming you in an way shape or form ...as to what went wrong I dont exactly know...to recap...after I refilled alll the oils and took it out for the test ride the 1st 3rd and 4th gears were fine and nada,zero,zilch for 2nd/5th gears..I brought it back and parked it.The next day theres a pool of oil on the floor and it has been leaking ever since!I keep absorbing it up and its still dripping doown the frame tubes.Not sure abt this leak...also have an electrical gremlin.Bike wouldnt start in neutral with the sidestand down...but would start with it up.Also lost a fuse and some weird homemade fuse holder some svc guywho worked on it...put on there not sure what the fuse is for.
        If there is any area to fault its that we didnt dry shift and observe the gears before we buttoned it up.As to lining up the shift pawl with the dot alighnment...I have yet to look cuz i 've been sooo discouraged when I look at it...just cant stand to see it set there...
        Last edited by madmax-im; 07-14-2008, 07:16 PM.
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I just did mine and put it all back together. I dry tested all through the gears several times before putting back together. I have yet to drive it because of a sudden front break not working. Now I want to drive it to make sure it shifts right. I am really good mechanically, but it gave me plenty of problems. If you got the gear assy out you got further than I did. I had to grind the slots on the gear while in the case.

Keep us updated on how the work goes in MB. I am a short distance and might one day need to take it to him. He is the closest one in this area.

Comment

Gears Swapped

Dave,we didnt dremel just swapped out all the old gears for new factory backcut ones.So we thought it would save some time and it did...but even the best mechanics have problems...eh?Well I will keep you aprised of the progress.I have been told that because of the new factory backcut gears it isnt necessary to move that washer in order to get the 2nd/5th gears to mesh better...only if you're gonna do the dremel fix. I'll give you a heads up when I'm down there...PM me with some contac info and we'll go for some ridin...weather permitting..
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I had 2 new gears for it. But was only able to get 5th out. So I was unable to change 2nd. So resorted to the dremel fix.

That C-clip between 5th and 2nd. You can leave it out? I was going to dremel the spot it fits too on 5th and make it counter sink so the gears mesh all the way. I dunno if I'd leave any thing out that was intended to be there. It holds 2nd in place while 5th backs off and they unlock. If left out it can slide around when not engaged.

But your paying for it to not be your problem any longer.
              I'd do the same thing. After so much time it becomes more worth it to pay and be done with it.

Comment

Ben,

Not beating myself up, really curious as to what happened. Not only to learn, but I really hate being wrong!

Comment

"Ain't that how it goes..."

It's not like we all do this fer a living... mistakes are to be expected and over-looking a "minor" detail is common.
                  Sadly, time constraints and the distances traveled in order to help often preclude totally finishing the job on the same day, or giving proper dry-runs and test rides.
                  That's just the nature of things.
                  I'm sure, that had Madmax-im and Randy had another day to work on the bike... there'd be no reason for this thread.
                  We all take our best shot... with the equipment and time that we have available.
                  "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I'll keep you posted

Randy...when we get into it then I'll have a definitive answer for you.I dont think alot went wrong....but when we finished up we did not dry shift it and watch all the gears mesh.So perhaps the #1 shift fork didnt go into the shift dog the way we thought it did.The other thing taht went awry was in the starter circuit...I never had this problem until the bike was torn down.As you know there was that funky fuse holder and the broken 20amp fuse.I dont know if its part of the starter circuit.In neutral with the sidestand down ..no start...but put the sidestand up and it starts.
                    As for the oil leak..I'm not sure whats causing this...its been 3 months and its still driping out Pretty sure I torqued the pan according to the specs in the svc manual,but we ddid not replace the old gasket,so that could be why,but again I have not determined exactly where the leak is coming from.
                    Lastly I dont think we took enough time for breaks and as such we might have lost some perspective into what we were doing.Working all day without anything more than a cig.break or bathroom break...I kept thinking that you wanted to finish it ASAP cuz you still had to get to L.I.for your work week.So from now on..I'll have the beer and some lunch and I will insist we stop and take the proper break..next time...
                    I understand your need to know...I want to know too.If there is anything you want to discuss with me pls feel free to PM me...
                    Last edited by madmax-im; 07-15-2008, 08:15 AM.
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Re: "Ain't that how it goes..."

Originally posted by prometheus578
                      It's not like we all do this fer a living... mistakes are to be expected and over-looking a "minor" detail is common.
                      Sadly, time constraints and the distances traveled in order to help often preclude totally finishing the job on the same day, or giving proper dry-runs and test rides.
                      That's just the nature of things.
                      I'm sure, that had Madmax-im and Randy had another day to work on the bike... there'd be no reason for this thread.
                      We all take our best shot... with the equipment and time that we have available.
                      Prom...exactly my thoughts...$h!+ happens.Thats why I wanted to pay someone that does do this for a living...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

In neutral with the sidestand down ..no start...but put the sidestand up and it starts.
                        Sounds like the switch is buggered.....see......

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=stand+switch
                        Ernie
                        79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                        (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Originally posted by egsols

Sounds like the switch is buggered.....see......

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=stand+switch
                          Hmm... quite interesting...I think IIRC that we had to disconnect this sw.when we went into the tranny.So reconneting it and all of a sudden we have an electrical gremlin(insert evil lafter...hee hee ,hee)Thanks for the info...looks like we'll bypas it if possible.
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DavesXS

But your paying for it to not be your problem any longer.
                            I'd do the same thing. After so much time it becomes more worth it to pay and be done with it.
                            Its nothing personal towards anyone but this is where my head is at...exactly...
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Doesn't the switch kill the motor if the stand is down and its any gear other than neutral?

It's supposed to start in neutral regardles of stand position, right?

Soooo, if its up and it starts but when its down it doesn't, and you're in neutral, sounds like maybe the wires are hooked up wrong and its thinking you are in gear and the stand is in the opposite position, if that makes sense.
                              Ernie
                              79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                              (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Working...
                              X