Well, I did it.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I did it.....

I showed a pic of Pathfinder's bike to the SWMBO Sat and noted that Cynthia wanted to sell it. I don't think she was thinking too clearly when she said "Why don't you make an offer?" so before she could change her mind I did just that and Cynthia excepted the offer. Now I have to find a way to get it home to So Cal. Checked on shipping, $700 plus the extra parts to ship and the other way was to fly there and ride it home. Weather this time of year makes that only a maybe plus $250/$300 airfare, motels for a couple of nights and such means around $500 plus, I still have to ship the parts here. Wish I could depend on the weather being good. It would sure be a great adventure. I guess I shouldn't worry about the rain as I once rode from LA to NY and it rained for a week straight. Actually I would ride through thr rain storm in the day and it would go through again at night while I slept.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

A buddy with a trailer??? Sounds like a H&$% of an excuse for a road trip to me! You could even ride it part way back... put it back on the trailer if you hit rain or snow... and take turns driving to save on hotel.

I am just so glad someone on here got that bike. I have never met her, but I think Cynthia and even Pathfinder would agree.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Buddy with trailer...

Boy that would be nice, but finding someone with a trailer that could take time off work for a trip???? SWMBO would do it, but we have 3 dogs here, no-one to care for them and since they are not used to riding they would probably be sick the whole way if we took them with us.
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system

Comment

planedick, PM me, I might have a plan.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Congrats! That's a gorgeous bike!
          CUAgain,
          Daniel Meyer
          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Perhaps you could arrange a "Pony XSpress" type relay for the bike. I'm sure there are enough members on here that would volunteer to drop a tank of gas in and run it for a hundred miles or so before passing it on to the next fella.
            I'll be the first to offer myself for the Des Moines, IA to Omaha, NE leg of the Journey, approx 140ish miles.

All it would take is the cooperation/coordination of 30 or so members, a few days, and of course, your trust in every one who offers.
            1979 XS1100 SF
            Under Construction,
            Due out by Spring '07
            "Some days, it ain't even worth chewing through the restraints."

TomKat

Comment

Iowa????

Iowa is just a little out of the way, nowhere near anything between Texas and California. LOL Anyway, it looks like I will drive down there and rent a U-Haul to haul it back. I would loan or let others use most anything I own, but never my bike! If anyone else rides it at all it will be another XSsive, as owners of anything else just aren't ready for that much bike. Like someone here said, "Speed kills, ride a Hardly".

Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system

Comment

A brain fart on my part, I was thinking NY to CA. Still, just a thought. Sorry for interupting, carry on.
                1979 XS1100 SF
                Under Construction,
                Due out by Spring '07
                "Some days, it ain't even worth chewing through the restraints."

TomKat

Comment

Maybe again...

I did the coast to coast thing once on a MC. Wasn't nearly as reliable as XS's and fell apart along the way many times, but it still was fun. Maybe I'll do that again someday soon. Sure would be nice doing it without having to worry about breakdowns so much. Which reminds me, I've been carrying around a full set of tools, socket sets and bundles of other tools for "just in case". I haven't had to use them at all in the 16,000 miles I put on "Ageless Rocket" so I guess it's time to lighten the load. Probably lose 25 lbs and it might improve my mileage.

Drilled airbox
                  Tkat fork brace
                  Hardly mufflers
                  late model carbs
                  Newer style fuses
                  Oil pressure guage
                  Custom security system

Comment

XS Meeting

Hey PlaneDick,

Let me know when you will be in Houston to pick up Pathfinder's rig.

Hippie Dave and I would like to come over, say "Hey," maybe go for a ride, and help out with whatever we can. Maybe we could go out for some good ole Texas BBQ or something.

Its always fun to meet XSers!

Dave (Pathfinder), Hippie Dave and I used to "go to church" on Sundays. That was Pathfinder's euphumism for a good ole Sunday ride.

He'd call me the night before, and say, "We're goin' to church tomorrow, so be there at 9am." "There" of course was the gas station where we always met before the ride.

If you have time, maybe I can get the TeXSives together and we can all "go to church" before you head back to Cali.

If not, that's OK too. We'll still come over and visit.

See you soon,

greg (Skippy344)
                    Gone but never Forgotten:
                    1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
                    2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
                    2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Highly likely...

I'm always ready to meet other XSsives and I'm fond of Texas BBQ too. I haven't made any concrete plans yet about when, but I think I will drive the van down and rent a trailer to take her home. I'm leaning towards one of those covered U-Hual things. Any help about where to rent one in Houston would be helpful.

Drilled airbox
                      Tkat fork brace
                      Hardly mufflers
                      late model carbs
                      Newer style fuses
                      Oil pressure guage
                      Custom security system

Comment

Hey Plane,

Here is a location that has trailers, close to Pathfinder's house.

VALERO AUTO SERVICE
                        (281)970-2207
                        11114 NORTH ELDRIDGE PARKWAY
                        HOUSTON , TX 77065

greg
                        1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Can I come down and play to?
                          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Leaning towards...

I'm really considering the Thanksgiving weekend as a good time. That way I don't have to take too much time off work. Customers like me available most of the time. You know the old saying, "The customer is always right".

Drilled airbox
                            Tkat fork brace
                            Hardly mufflers
                            late model carbs
                            Newer style fuses
                            Oil pressure guage
                            Custom security system

Comment

That's Cool

I will be off the 23rd, 24th and of course the 25th and 26th, so that will work out well.

Cindy, Hippie Dave and I look forward to meeting you , and it sounds like Webcraft wants to play too!

All are welcome! Maybe we can do a mini TeXSive/CaXSive rally? So the call is going out to all the usual suspects, Wayne, Graywizard, Tinman, DragonRider, John, WildCat, Bobby Stroka aka Kawa-Bobby, Remccool, DMAC...

We could all meet at Pathfinder's house, there is a school parking lot right across the street from Pathfinder's house,
                              hook up with PlaneDick, ride to Brenham, or Snook, grab a meal and head back.
                              Brenham has that 50's style diner where the servers wear poodle skirts and chiffon hair thingys.

(I can't believe I just used the word "chiffon." I'm already on 6 month probation from the "Man Club" for making a "Titanic" reference last weekend. My review is in March 2007. ;o) Hope this "chiffon" incident doesn't get me more time!)

Snook has Sodolaks, where they serve chicken fried bacon, killer 1/2 lb. burgers and a damn fine steak.

Whaddya say?

greg
                              1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Working...
                              X