Don Glardon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don Glardon

This is being written by Don Glardon's wife.

I wanted to let you all know that Don passed away yesterday, apparently from natural causes. He was hiking here near Cincinnati, collapsed and was not able to be revived. He was doing a practice hike in preparation for a boy scout hike he had planned for this summer with our son's troop. The services will be sometime later this week.

He enjoyed this site so much, and met some good friends here. I know that his "motorcycle gang" as I often jokingly referred to his riding friends added a great deal to his life.

Although not for a while, I will need to eventually sell his motorcycles, both the one that he usually rides and his latest project bike. I am also not sure what else is lurking in the garage. If you are in the Cincinnati area and would be able to help me determine what to ask for the bikes and other items in the garage when the time comes, please email me at aglardon(at)cinci.rr.com. **editted to fight spambots**
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Sad to hear of Don's passing. Condolences to his wife and family.
    He always had sound advice with a bit of humour too. He will be missed.
    Maxim Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. Don was a great friend to this site and added so much. He will be missed by many here.
      Prayers and positives for you, your family and his many friends.
      He is truly one of the good guys.
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

I'm looking at this post finding it hard to believe what I'm reading. My heart goes out to Don's family and all those who know him best. His departure from this life will leave a very big hole in our motorcycle gang at XS11.com. I never met Don face to face, but looked forward to the day that would happen. We shared a lot over this forum. We will miss him.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

So saddened to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Don will be truly missed.

John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

so sorry to hear of Don's passing, too. I never met him, but received a lot of help on my bike through his technical know-how. Condolences and a prayer to his wife and family.
            79 F
            Previously owned: (among others)
            1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
            1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
            1973 Suzuki TM 125
            1979 XS1100 F
            2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
            1991 BMW K75

Comment

Tears fell from my eyes reading this. I am terribly saddened to read this- it hurts to re-read this. My prayers and sympathies to Don's family. May he rest in Heaven with his loved one's and fellow motorcycle riders.
              1979 XS1100F
              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I, too, am shocked and saddened to see this. Don has been a great member and asset to the XS11 family and will be sorely missed. My most sincere condolences to his wife and family.

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I am so shocked, stunned and saddened by this news. It's only the other day that Don responded to some of my posts and in my several years of membership here, Don has been immensely helpful, courteous and, I'm sure others will agree, a valued and respected member of this forum. I've never met anyone on this forum, including Don, but we are all familiar with each other here, united as we are with a common interest and passion.

Even as I type this, I can hardly believe that DGXSER won't be checking in and contributing in the way that he has done for years. In my mind, he was always a kind of elder statesman of the site and I often looked forward to reading his responses to people in trouble, kindness and, above all, respectful courtesy and patience with people, as well as his great knowledge about our bikes.

What a loss to us all and immeasurably more to you and your family. I would like to extend my sincere and heartfelt condolences on this awful news. For what comfort it may be to you, there is at least one person, thousands of miles away in another country who has shed tears on this terrible news.

May God bless ole DGXSER, a gentleman, and look after him.
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Wow! So very sorry to hear this, prayers to you and the rest of you family.

I was really looking forward to getting together with him and some of the others in his area this summer.

I am just a little shocked! Very sad!
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Sorry to hear of Don’s passing. I will be praying for Don’s family and friends.

The Other Earl
                      80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
                      and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

I am just beside myself to read of this. Don was so full of life. Don helped me many times on this site and personally. We never met but I feel I lost a good friend.
                        I am beyond words for your loss you are in my prayers and thoughts. Don will be greatly missed. A sad day....
                        82 XJ1100J
                        81 Venturer
                        Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

Oh man....

Don was such an asset to this site, I don't know how the hole his passing leaves can be filled. Don, I never met you face to face, but I'll miss you nonetheless....

My deepest sympathies to the family...
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Very sorry to hear of this, Don was too young, I will hold his family in my prayers. He was always friendly and helpful, a valuable member of this site who will be missed by many. Anytime that Don posted something here (I was looking forward to post # 10,000)I was always interested in what he had to share, I know countless others felt the same way. May your family find comfort in knowing how many lives Don impacted, most of them people he never met, as it was a pleasure knowing him via this site. Thank you and Rest in Peace DGXSER.
                            Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Oh my, I have only tears, words escape me.

I love You Don, and I know God does too.

If you, Don's Wife and Family, need anything I'll do what I can.

Sincere sympathy for all affected, John

412-400-2059
                              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Working...
                              X