No announcement yet.

2024 Colorado Gathering, July 18-22 Westcliffe, Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy,,,,definite me and Roo, he is contacting 3Phase Scott and seeing if he is available. Probably drag my buddy too, he has a good friend in Denver, so two definite and two maybees,,,,,good to see the xs gang again. I keep my xs in Pa. and the strom in califorinia,,,so bringing the strom, Roo has his thunder VT100 beast, Scott has an ST, my buddy has a hardley. See you all, Mike in S.DIego and Pa.

Comment

Flight reservation made, will book bike tonight - Yamaha FJR
      Darrell
      78E
      80G project
      06FJR

Comment

Hey newc4, good to see you post up, please ask any questions as they come up in preparing for gear, etc.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Plus One ............. Minus One

DRAT that i have to be the minus one for this year.
          Was looking forward to another adventure ride to Colorado this year. A good LD trek is always fun.
          I had made my motel Reservations back in February for this years ride and the Rally. Now I have to cancel them.

Will have to kick-the-can on the US70 ride and maybe do it in September.
          Just canceled my westbound motels in Winona MS, DeQueen AR, Vernon TX & Tucumcari NM.

Hope that someone will take over Ride Photographer position and get some pics up during the Rally.

Jeff
          Last edited by JeffH; 05-30-2024, 03:24 PM.
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Bonz, looking at hotel options. Where will most of the festivities be taking place?
            Darrell
            78E
            80G project
            06FJR

Comment

Group get togethers take place at the cabin north of Westcliffe about 5 miles. Hotels in Westcliffe are the best option. JeffH could offer up ideas as he's reserved one, albeit probably not gonna use it. Easy paved road ride from Westcliffe, then a few hundred yards of road base dirt to the cabin at DeWeese reservoir.

Typically we'll do cookouts in the evenings after each day of riding at the cabin. Guys pitch in and we make a run to the local grocery for what we need.

Nice local restaurants in Westcliffe as well. Some guys staying at the hotels get dinner out each night as they don't wanna ride back to the hotel after dark, inevitably we hang out on the patio and visit into the later evening​​​​​​. Or they just wanna shower at the hotel, eat, go to bed and get ready for the next day.

Aim for kickstands up around 8 am each day at the Shell in Westcliffe by the hotel.

Your rental FJR will have Harry's FJR to keep it company.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Getting the bikes ready fellows?

Been busy on the ZRX1200 the past week or so. The time trailering to and from NC and the minimal riding in a year while there was not kind overall.
                -New rear tire.
                -Oil change.
                -Replaced steering head bearings, wow they were shot...
                -Went through the carbs, checked and adjusted float heights. #2 was off a couple mm and slow to return when "flicking" it. Should be bouncy/springy, this one was not.
                -Swapped in another float, problem solved and adjusted to proper height.
                -Carb sync.
                -Front brake pads.
                -Cleaned/lubed throttle cables and speedometer cable.

Looking forward to seeing you guys in July.

Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

I would love to make it, but I'm taking care of my wife. I'm one day closer now that I live near Boise, but I need to pay to have someone here, and take the dog with me. Barney does not like riding on the bike, so that's out for this year. Have fun, and I hope to make it next year!!
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I was out riding around Virginia this past Saturday in the 100+ heat. What can we expect for weather in Westcliffe?
                    Darrell
                    78E
                    80G project
                    06FJR

Comment

Originally posted by newc4 View Post
                      I was out riding around Virginia this past Saturday in the 100+ heat. What can we expect for weather in Westcliffe?
                      From a cilly 50° rain to a blazing hot sunny 100° and anything in between! It's at a high elevation in the foothills so be prepared for anything especially when out riding. Most of the time you'll be seeing temps in the 70's in the daytime, cloud cover optional.
                      1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Not sure where Lab3 is living, he's pretty close in the description of temps and to expect most anything for weather.

Westcliffe can/will be normally 40's and 50's in the morning, in 2020 it dipped to freezing overnight a few days before the Rally in the middle of July. That was rare but it's in the 80's for highs there at 7,888' elevation.

Hydration is vital, you will sweat but not know it because humidity is so low out here. Combined with the elevation, dehydration can make for a miserable day or trip.

Bring layers to handle the temp being chilly in the mornings and sunny hot in some places along the routes. Good gear is important, a rain shower is always possible or rain can settle in as well for longer times, it all depends. We've had good luck with weather over the years for the most part, but have had to put on the gear a few times, just don't get caught out.

If we do get wet, it dries out fast once the sun comes out while riding.

A pair of gloves for hot temps like back east and for cooler temps is helpful. Footwear that can handle wet is helpful so you don't get cold feet if we get a good soaker. We've ridden through the aftermath of hail/snow on tops of passes, so can't emphasize enough about layers to take on/off as things change.

Some of us have Cardo PacTalk communicators, if you have one bring it and join in on the conversation and the backstory of the areas as we ride.

FWIW, I spent last week in Pennsylvania visiting my parents, it was blazing hot there, I know your pain. However 100° out here isn't like 100 deg back east and would be rare in the area we are riding. Sun feels hotter, over a mile and in some case 2 miles higher going up over 12,000+ passes in the atmosphere vs back east.

Let me know other specific questions, this is my wheelhouse so can pretty much answer what questions you may have.
                        Last edited by Bonz; 06-24-2024, 07:03 PM.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Not a matter of where I'm living although I'm quite familiar with the area having worked as well as played out the way often.
                          1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Nice, whereabouts in Southern Colorado did you spend some time? Great part of the state.
                            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

You guys have fun, if anyone needs help or has an emergency im a couple of hours away in lone tree colorado. Ride safe everyone.
                              80 XS1110 SG, RD400

Comment

Thanks for that! We'll be riding southern and west-central parts of the state, however our high water mark is going to be Florissant and the Thunderbird Inn for lunch Friday the 19th if you want to meet some of the guys. Subject to change but that's the plan for the guys that arrive Thursday. A nice out and back from Westcliffe taking the backroads.
                                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X