Thanks for the update.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Awesome to hear, plenty of room at the Super 8 come July. Keeping our fingers crossed it can be a consideration for you!
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Jerry,

Thank you for posting your update. As always, good to hear from you.
        GREAT NEWS to hear the treatments are finally over and that you got through them ok. Hope the energy picks up even with the remaining therapy.

Certainly will be good to start doing a little more EZ riding to start getting back to a normal routine.
        Take Care and keep us posted. and thanks for keeping appleattic going for us a great resource and archive

Jeff & your Georgia Friends.

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
        Just a brief personal update. I finished radiation treatments last week and tolerated them well. Hormone therapy still underway, 15 months to go. Biggest side effect is very low energy levels and almost no stamina. Going to try some ATV trails next week, will see if I can man-handle the bars for any length of time. Have taken short (50 mile) rides on the Concours without any problems but better not fall over! Would not have the strength to pick the bike up.

Thanks to everyone who sent messages of support. It helps.
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Was looking at the Park Reservations site and how that works. Seems that a User Account allows the purchase of just ONE (1) Reservation for a given time slot on a given day.

I booked myself a ride over Trail Ridge on Thurs July 15th at 11AM as that will be my route from Greeley to Kremmling. I tried to book Mt Evans but the 53 Time Slots per each two (2) hour period for Saturday July 17th doesn't become available until 8AM on Thursday June 17th. The 53 Time Slots for each two hour period for Sunday July 18th don't become available until 8 AM on Friday June 18th. But as Bonz stated, once we gather in Kremmling we can check the weather and try to snag passes for that weekend when the remaining 25% of the Time Slots come open. (if it is really 53 slots per two hours then 1/4 of 53 is 13 slots)

The big bugaboo stumbling block seems to be that everyone would need to have a User Account set up as it looks like each User can only buy 1 ticket per day. And the Entry Time Pass is clearly 'NOT TRANSERABLE' to another person. Refundable prior to 24 hours, YES except for $2 but can't give it to another person. So the plot continues. Nothing is easy anymore. All we want to do is ride up, BS and take a few Pics then ride back down. Don't see a Time Slot Pass available for that.

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Thanks Jeff. It doesn't cost anything to set up an account, here's the link, hopefully it works, to that website. Anybody reading this that's planning on attending the rally go ahead and set up an account so it's at the ready and we're not dealing with that Thursday at the rally. I'll text the guys that don't follow the forum.

Use this this link below and scroll to the first option on the left which says "Mount Evans + All recreational sites ticket". You can set up a user account without buying a ticket.

https://www.recreation.gov/timed-entry/10087438

Joe called tonight and we had a good talk about all of the awesome ride options, so no worries if getting to the top of Mount Evans doesn't pan out. Dang COVID ripple effect with respect to the timed entry system. They say it's just a one year deal however when was the last time they canceled a government program, LOL?

Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Greetings all, Kind of by accident ,today I found myself at the entrance to Mount Evans.I was trying to see if I could pay in advance for all that might be interested in going to the summit of Mt Evans,No such luck! As some of you already know they are making it as difficult as possible, I saw a liitle bit of old snow along the road leading up to the entrance..While i was trying to convince them to let me pay in advance The ranger showed me the view at the halfway point ....Rain,sleet, hail and snow !!!I'm glad we weren't going up today, Hopefully for those that are interested, we can find a way to reach the summit in mid July...

Comment

Originally posted by rdmycguy View Post
                Greetings all, Kind of by accident ,today I found myself at the entrance to Mount Evans.I was trying to see if I could pay in advance for all that might be interested in going to the summit of Mt Evans,No such luck! As some of you already know they are making it as difficult as possible, I saw a liitle bit of old snow along the road leading up to the entrance..While i was trying to convince them to let me pay in advance The ranger showed me the view at the halfway point ....Rain,sleet, hail and snow !!!I'm glad we weren't going up today, Hopefully for those that are interested, we can find a way to reach the summit in mid July...
                Joe,

After the Colo Rally last year in Westcliffe i took a bonus ride day and stayed at Indian Hot Spring in Idaho Springs.
                Next AM was surprised to find the Mt Evans road CLOSED to powered vehicles. What a let down seeing a road block. Bicycles and walking ok. wth
                Guess people on bicycles weren't a covid risk. 28 miles was too far for me to walk ATGATT to the top & back.

At least now the barricades are down and you made it 400 ft further than I did to the Ranger Booth. Very disappointing.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0145.JPG Views:	0 Size:	169.6 KB ID:	865258

But end result was the same as you, a No Go.
                Did have a great ride on curvy and steep Whitter Gulch, now that was FUN. (Gulch Rd certainly a challenge going down or up but great fun)

Let's hope for success in July this year
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0156.JPG Views:	0 Size:	162.2 KB ID:	865259

Looking forward to seeing you at Kremmling. So far, so good on making it.

Odd why Trail Ridge is different than Mt Evans for the Timed Entry Access. I purchased and printed my US34 / US36 Trail Ridge pass online for July 15th as July slots are opened up for purchasing.
                But only June slots are opened for Mt Evans. It says I have to wait until 8am June 17 when July 17 slots open. Odd why Mt Evans Timed Entry bookings aren't the same as Rocky Mtn slots.
                But as Bonz said, we can check weather and try to get the slots that open up two days before.

FWIW: for grins 8 AM MDT on June 17th I will try and get a Mt Evans Timed Entry for Sat July 17th at 11am. Then 8 AM MDT on June 18th I will try and get Timed Entry for Sun July 18th at 11am. If Mt Evans is like Trail Ridge there is a 2 hour Entry Window so 11am - 1pm entry time. From Kremmling with a pit stop (and talking) it will probably take 3 hours to get from Rally Central to the Range Station. For $5 its worth a try.

Jeff
                Last edited by JeffH; 06-06-2021, 05:53 AM.
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Thanks Joe for that info, for sure there's never only rain at 14,000+ feet at any part of the year.

Thanks Jeff for being a guinea pig.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

All right guys, send me a PM or text if you have my number with your T-shirt size. Going to do the dry fit fabric, not sure on the color I'll surprise you but it'll look good.

Get that to me by the end of the weekend please (June 13).

Figure $15 plus/minus, depends on the numbers we get. Please specify short or long sleeve, XXL sizes and long sleeve slightly more.

Giddy up!
                    Last edited by Bonz; 06-10-2021, 08:41 PM.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Well, I'm no longer going... My wife cannot travel, and she does not want me gone for a week. All I can do is hope to see everyone next year.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Sorry to hear Ray, hope all is well for her and there's always a place by the campfire or the barbecue at the rally for you!
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                          Thanks Joe for that info, for sure there's never only rain at 14,000+ feet at any part of the year.

Thanks Jeff for being a guinea pig.
                          MOUNT EVANS TIMED ENTRY

OK, here's the deal. At 8AM MDT they as promised posted the Mount Evans + All Recreation Sites Vehicle Tickets
                          That is the Ticket we would all need to purchase to get to the summit of Mt Evans. The other Entry Tickets don't allow access from Summit Lake to the summit of Mt Evans.

Unlike Rocky Mtn Park at Mt Evans the Timed Entry Windows are 8 AM to 10 AM, 10 AM to Noon, Noon to 2 PM, 2 PM to 4 PM and 4 PM to 6 PM. There are 53 Arrival Time Slots for each 2 hour period.

From Kremmling its about 110 miles and 3 hours + Pit Stop to Mt Evans via either Hwy 9, US 6, i-70 or via US40. The 10 AM to Noon arrival slots would be workable or go up after lunch (when it is cloudy). Of course AM best chance of the blue skies and great views.

As for the Slots that become available a day or two before the possible entry date (for us that would be July 17 or July 18) we would ALL need to have an Account Set Up. Name, Address & email.
                          Then we would either A) each be able to Print our Ticket or have the E-Ticket popped to our cell phone. A complication

For grins I looked at Available Entry Slots for Today Jun 17, Tomorrow Fri Jun 18 and Sat & Sun June 19 & 20. The AM Arrival Slots were gone for today Thurs, Fri & Sun. 7 available for Saturday. Seem the AM Arrival Slots are the ones that quickly book. duh, of course AM blue skies and awesome views plus all day on the mountain. Interesting the 4pm to 6pm arrival slots aren't popular. There are sixty (60) arrival slots each day STILL AVAILABLE for each afternoon the next four days (this thur, fri, sat & sun).

Not as easy as it used to be. Complications and Twists. It doesn't seem practical that we could all get online from Kremmling on Thurs July 15 or Friday July 16 to snag a ticket and then Print or E-Ticket the thing. Maybe a 4pm cold call drive up to the Ranger Booth might at least be a 50-50 chance of getting in.

So that is my guinea pig report.

Maybe Joe, Bonz or Motoman has some pull with the Feds and can get us a dozen entry tickets.

Jeff

ps. Ray, was really looking forward to seeing you again this Rally. Think the last time was Kremmling. Sorry to hear you can't make it this year.
                          Last edited by JeffH; 06-17-2021, 08:39 AM.
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Hi all, really looking forward to seeing the band back together in less than a month! Thanks for sharing the ins and outs and intricacies Jeff.

We just may not put a notch in the Mount Evans bedpost this year. Seems like the thinking and calculating and brain work involved could be spent looking forward to the rally! In the grand scheme, we had a rally last summer in the middle of the feces show that was 2020, probably was a lot more than most guys that look forward to an annual event.

Executive and logistical decision at this point is to leave Mount Evans off the list, given the system wasn't in place back when it was proposed as a ride.

However, Rocky Mountain national Park (Trail Ridge Road) is a legitimate ride again this year with the dramatically changed scenery from the massive fires last year. Just puts a person in awe of nature. A number of guys that are coming to this rally didn't make the Kremmling rally for one reason or another in 2017, I'm looking forward to doing trail ridge together. Some guys coming this year that probably haven't done trail ridge road ever or recently on a cycle are Bob, Bohn, Russ, Tim (Bobs friend), John (Bohns friend), Scott (his cabin was command central last year), Tom (rode the Indian last year, Gen 1 V-Max this year), Merlin (came on his ZRX with me to the Durango rally 2019).

There are a few new bikes in the mix this year, I understand Bohn has a new R1250GS, his friend John has a new generation Goldwing, Tom has a Gen 1 V-Max he will ride. Tom moved to Texas last fall and it isn't practical to ride his Indian up here so he's riding his Vmax that he stored up here. Maybe Joe will surprise with an MT-09 that he's been threatening to buy. Come on Joe, it's only peer pressure! I will be leading the field to the green flag with the trusty ZRX 1200.

Enjoy yourselves and look forward to seeing you all sooner rather than later!

Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Trail Ridge has Timed Access just like Mt Evans.

I bought myself a ride over the top from Estes Park to Granby on Thursday July 15th on my way to Kremmling. Printed my ticket so i'm ready to go + have Americas Pass to cover the normal Entry Fee.

So looking right now Jun 17th for Saturday July 17th and Sunday July 18th the only Trail Ridge Ride Tickets available are for Timed Entry between 3PM and 5PM each afternoon. The 9am to 11am arrival and 11am to 1pm and 1pm to 3pm Timed Entry tickets are already SOLD OUT. Same drill as with Mt Evans, we all would need an account to get ourselves a ticket to get past the Rangers Fee Booth on Trail Ridge.

And like with Mt Evans, more tickets will become available two (2) days before the July 17 or July 18th ride date but then each of us would need to get a ticket online from Kremmling.

Easy if you are in a Winnebago with PC & Printer but a bit tough from a campground in Kremmling.

Oh, the Timed Access Permit is reservation to "get in" but the normal NPS Park Entrance fees are paid separately at the Ranger Booth. Need both Reserved Time and then Pay Fee to be allowed in.

Also, FWIW: US 36 on the Estes Park side is torn up between Bear Lake Road and Deer Ridge Junction with US34. Motorcycles should avoid as road is under construction with very rough surface (rocks) and traffic delays as in Follow Me Truck. So I'm taking US34 out of Estes Park.

Nothing is easy anymore

Jeff

78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

When you look at the timed entry reservation system, scroll down to "Timed entry permit system-Free".

We still pay the $25 for a day pass per motorcycle however if we arrive before 9:00 a.m. or after 3:00 p.m there is no reservation required. Park gate opens at 5:00 a.m. so we have plenty of window to get over there before 9:00 a.m.

Edit: It is a 48 minute ride from Kremmling to the entrance of Rocky Mountain national Park. Call it an hour. We leave at 7:00 a.m. with the crew having eaten breakfast and gassed up, I think it's very doable.

In the end, once everybody is there and we have all the particulars present, we can discuss and see what guys would like to do.

​​​​​​
                                Last edited by Bonz; 06-17-2021, 03:43 PM.
                                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X