No announcement yet.

2021 Colorado Rally, July 15-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys! Hope all is well and want to let guys know if you haven’t done a rally or want something that ain’t hit and muggy, this is your rally.

Heard from Bohn Frazier, he and his buddy John (John came to the Gunnison rally 2018) are reserved at the Super 8 in Kremmling. Harry, Russ, Richard, JeffH, DiverRay, Scott from last year (used his cabin for command central) are also reserved at hotels. As we are getting closer, please keep adding in to this thread so I can keep a mental count and whether you will camp (group site reserved, pay individually when you get there) or are doing a hotel.

On another note, ball caps or shirts? Vote here with a post or PM with your preference. Most votes gets the nod.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Hello fellow riders, Thanks for keeping this post active,it's always nice to know what's going on (for a change from my normal routine)As usual I will be attending this years rally and am looking forward to it.I hope that Mount Evans will be open all the way to the top, ...it usually is by July .I have been up there quite a few times , it is a magnificent ride ,and for those of you that might be interested,Lookout Mountain road is not too far astray,...if you like hairpins/ switchbacks, it will certainly be of interest,I ride it quite a few times in the season as it is only about 30 miles from my house....in the meantime stay safe and healthy and I will see you in July

Comment

Hey all, long time no post.
        Jerry, sorry to hear that news...here's hoping for the best.
        Mike, how's it going in Sunny SD? Still moulding young minds?
        Ray, how's life in the Midwest? Just like Santa Cruz, right?
        Congrats on keeping the rally life going. Colorado sounds fun, but can't make it this year. Actually took a ride on the Effing Bee today after doing carb work (she sat around for about three years due to a variety of issues). Starts, idles and runs okay, but not 100%. Probably have a ColorTune session coming up soon.
        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Thanks LoHo for posting up, good to see a veteran face. Sorry you can’t give the rally a go this year. Always welcome!

The Colorado Rally as it’s been since I took a swing at doing the first one back in 2014 has taken on a good steady life of its own, always looking forward to adding new faces to the fold. The July timing is great for guys wanting to do something fun in the summer and not scorch their tires in the heat most other places in the USA. Last summer at command central in the Wet Mountain Valley just a few miles east of the mighty Sangre de Christo mountains, we woke up to temperatures the week after Fourth of July in the low to mid 30s every morning. Hit mid 90s for highs. Guys coming in from the Midwest that are used to a heat index of of 110+ appreciated the 95° dry heat. Kremmling is further north in Colorado and typically because it’s in the high plains with mountains not immediately around it, will see high 40s-low 50s at night so not as chilly camping with lots of hotel space (see opening post or link in my sig).

In any case, looking for some more riders! Post up here, love to talk some folks into joining us.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

The Great LoHO is still kicking, good to see you active on XS again. YOu will have to make a BonZ Colorado rally to catch up with all the guys and their stories or even get another LoHo Calilfornia Special rally going again, I retired two years ago from the Physics Dept. so now its surfing and riding the XS. More info to follow at the site, did you know Bonz is also a teacher? Anywho, the guys will look forward to meeting up again, whether at Colo. or Calif., stay vertical LoHo and wishing the best for you, Mike in Sun Diego

Comment

OK. I got a room reserved for Friday and Saturday at the Easton Hotel.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                OK. I got a room reserved for Friday and Saturday at the Easton Hotel.
                Great ............. look forward to seeing you there in 'K'.
                Recall that was Motomans boyhood home. But we never got a house tour last time. Maybe this time.

If all goes well with weather adventures I should arrive Thursday afternoon coming in from Greeley by way of Hannibal. Taking US36 this time across.

Jeff
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post

Great ............. look forward to seeing you there in 'K'.
                  Recall that was Motomans boyhood home. But we never got a house tour last time. Maybe this time.

If all goes well with weather adventures I should arrive Thursday afternoon coming in from Greeley by way of Hannibal. Taking US36 this time across.

Jeff
                  Yes, it will be good to get together again. I'll be bringing Ol' Smoky again. It hates high altitudes but......... I haven't had the time or ambition to finish up The Green Hornet, lots of work to do, or get the engine swapped out in Ol' Okie. I might trailer up and get there Thursday as well. Still pondering the pros and cons.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Ol' Okie does fine at elevation. Just fill the oil and check the gas every time we stop.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

It only used 3 quarts on that 4000 mile trip up North and back.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

You know I'm just giving you a hard time!
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

That was a hard time? You've never hung out with The Banned Bunch and it shows
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

So Mount Evans will be OPEN this year. (I was riding on Squaw Pass Road last year after the Westcliffe Rally but Mt Evans was CLOSED at Echo Lake because of CoVid)
                            But this year 2021 a trip to the top requires RESERVATIONS . $5 bucks

This was on the Tentative Agenda but need to figure out how to make a Reservation for a Time Slot if we plan to ride up to the summit.

Jeff
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Greg, I will wait till the rally to give you the hard time you need every once in awhile, for now that is what you get as this forum is family friendly, lol.

Copy that on the reservations. My Evans reservation system (new this year) was set to go online yesterday, June 1, however Denver news is reporting the system crashed so no reservations are possible to make at this time. We have two options. We can take a guess well in advance of what day we want to do the ride and have guys commit to that day. However you can see the problems with that in terms of bad weather. No place to be messing around on a motorcycle at 14,000 feet and above.

For Mt. Evans, 75% of the reservations for any given day in July would be accessible if the system was working. The other 25% of the timed the reservations become available two days prior to a trip up Mount Evans. $5 fee as Jeff said. If we want to go up Saturday, June 17, those reservations open for booking at 10 AM mountain time on June 15. If we want to go up Sunday the 18th, we would make reservations Friday 10 AM June 16.

Our best bet is to get to the week of the rally and start looking at the weather forecast. Decide on a day and then two days prior make the reservations. Reality is if the weather looks like it's gonna be bad we don't want to make reservations. The weather where command central is located in Kremmling can be great and be snowing on top of Mount Evans in mid July... Guys that did the Gunnison rally remember the trip over Slumgullion Pass with multiple inches of hail/slush on the return trip. That was an adventure at 11,500' however Mount Evans is almost 3000 feet higher and would be no joy.

I'm not clear if one person can make a reservation for multiple entities i.e. riders. Or if each individual needs to make their own reservation. Which could be problematic if our times are not the same, even if we all logged in to make them individually at the same time. I think that makes sense?

That new Mt. Evans system may put a kink in that option for a ride however Plan B would be a loop through Summit County and doing old Highway 6 (Loveland Pass). Or stay north and do that loop down 20 Mile Rd. after having pizza for lunch on US 40. Some pretty good riding up around Walden as well so there will be no shortage of fun times on the road to adapt to the availability of options.

Rocky Mountain national Park (Trail Ridge Road) also has a timed entry system however if we arrive before 9 AM or after 3 PM a reservation is not needed. $25 fee for motorcycle entry.
                              Last edited by Bonz; 06-02-2021, 07:54 PM.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Just a brief personal update. I finished radiation treatments last week and tolerated them well. Hormone therapy still underway, 15 months to go. Biggest side effect is very low energy levels and almost no stamina. Going to try some ATV trails next week, will see if I can man-handle the bars for any length of time. Have taken short (50 mile) rides on the Concours without any problems but better not fall over! Would not have the strength to pick the bike up.

Thanks to everyone who sent messages of support. It helps.
                                Jerry Fields
                                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                                '06 Concours
                                My Galleries Page.
                                My Blog Page.
                                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                                X