Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VJMC rally at Suches / TWO in 2005 - who's in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VJMC rally at Suches / TWO in 2005 - who's in?

Who's in, how you getting there, who you bringing, WHAT are you bringing?

I'm in, pickup truck, only me, h-m-m-mmm....
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Suches

I've already booked one of the cabins at High Vally Resort. At the moment it will be SWMBO and my son, trailering in my xs and my son's Maxim.

Walt
    Walt
    80 XS11s - "Landshark"
    79 XS11s
    03 Valkyrie
    80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
    78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
    81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

IM IN

I am in I will be riding down with Gary And bring the Katana

Marty if it is only you do you grt to bring more than one bike or stay longer

XSivly
      Bruce
      Bruce Gerken
      '79 XS1100SF
      "The Black"
      '2009 BMW k1300GT'
      The Red Sled.
      St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

I guess I'll bring the FZ-1. That makes 5 bikes, one an XS...

About the right % for an XS gathering.
        Marty in NW PA
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

Hey Marty, how about posting some dates for this rally. Is it in October?
          Who's camping?? Anyone renting the mobile home at T.W.O.??
          Does T.W.O. usually "fill up" during this event or do they usually have last minute campsites available? Is their swimming pool still open during this time or is it closed/winterized?
          Inquiring minds want to know!
          Ride Safe,
          Greg
          '80 XS1100-G "Christine"
          '87 GL1200-I
          '93 KLX650-C1

Comment

Suches

I stay at High Valley Resort, which used to be part of T.W.O. just up the road. They have a trailer, cabins and other ammenities available.
            http://www.highvalleyresort.com/
            SHMBO perfers the cabins.
            Walt
            80 XS11s - "Landshark"
            79 XS11s
            03 Valkyrie
            80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
            78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
            81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

I'm not a 'veteran' as I have only been there 2 times. What I do know is that the Atlanta chapter of the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club has a get-together the second week of Oct at TWO in Suches. (the 1st of Oct is a weekend so technically this year it's the third weekend.) The requirement for attending is have a Jap bike more than 10 years old. It is almost 900 miles for me from PA so I leave from work Thursday afternoon with the bike on the back of pick-up, arrive usually before lunch on Friday, ride a little with some of the early arrivals, meet for dinner or after dinner with Rob and get the times and routes, ride Saturday and Sunday, and then head back north Sunday night after the second ride.

The owners of the TWO lodge also have a camping area around the lodge. They had a lease or something at what is now High Valley Resort, a mile down the road but lost it, so some others now own that. There are a few rustic cabins there and some fields where you can pitch a tent or park an RV. There is a nice bath house there, showers and terlets.

There are a few who seem to go every year, or nearly every year, like Hobbit, sixty-six, Bruce Gerkin. Ralph Meeks, TC, and I usually share a room in the lodge, and we make a reservation the morning we leave for next year. They don't seem to mind that we load up a room. When you get there you register and you have a ticket. They charge your food to your ticket, and you can settle up your food charges and your share of the room before you leave.

Rob Reil has planned the routes in the couple of years I have attended. Just about any road there is awesome.

I think that area of the world may have the best combination of twisties and sweepers concentrated in one area. And that is the draw. At the 'entrance' of the Dragon you will see hundreds of bikes all the time.

So, the weekend of October 15-16 is the time. I think Rob Reil has a website (someone help me here) and should have the times etc., we are starting. You can certainly try to get a reservation at TWO, either the lodge or the camping area, or High Valley Resort for camping or cabins.

Some of us bring more modern bikes, I am bringing my FZ-1 this time, although I have had immense fun with my XS there. I figure I qualify since I own two bikes more than 10 years old.

If you have not been there, there is little I can do to describe it. It is not a Sturgis, where folks park [mostly] shiny big bikes and then wait on line for everything. (Please this is NOT an anti-HD comment, just a comparison) This is a place where we admire some old nifty bikes (mostly shiny, sometimes rare) in the parking lot for a few minutes and then we RIDE! I enjoy sweeping since I can lag back on some of the better turns and then go for it. Last year we had a few different groups go their own way on Sunday, and that was great fun also. Then you meet in the main lodge for supper and then talk and meet with other bikers also there for the ride. Last year I met a group of young chargers who rode down that Friday from Chicago; they were going to ride all day the next day and then ride back to Chicago.

I don't have phone numbers handy, I bet someone does.

'nuff said - see you there or shame on you for 6 weeks!
              Marty in NW PA
              This IS my happy face.

Comment

2004 posts for TWO and the VJMR:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&threadid=4965

Should have all the links and phone numbers and all that...
                Marty in NW PA
                This IS my happy face.

Comment

Oops...
                  Durn I hate these little laptop keyboards.

Rob Reil's information here;

http://rally.motorcyclecarbs.com/
                  Marty in NW PA
                  This IS my happy face.

Comment

Thanks Marty for all the input and links. I stayed at T.W.O. for a few days last August, so I'm familar with the layout there. When I was there last, Brent rode up and gave us a tour of the northern Georgia mountains and we all had a great time.
                    Keith and I even ran Deal's Gap on the way down.
                    My main concern was if the campground would fill up or would have vacancies during this rally, plus, I've never been to Georgia in October.
                    Georgia and October: Is camping tolerable or is it on the "cool" side?? Are the night-time lows in the 40's/50's or are they even cooler?
                    'Hope everyone has a great Labor Day Week-end; I'm going to put some miles on my "new" 'Wing this week-end with Keith and Atalay on their bikes.
                    Ride Safe,
                    Greg
                    '80 XS1100-G "Christine"
                    '87 GL1200-I
                    '93 KLX650-C1

Comment

the years very last year when Gary and I got there it was 32.f but the rest of the week was great.it is aways great

XSivly
                      Bruce
                      Bruce Gerken
                      '79 XS1100SF
                      "The Black"
                      '2009 BMW k1300GT'
                      The Red Sled.
                      St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

Hey Greg, how ya doing!

Yeah, last year we had frost on the bikes just before we turned in Friday night, the next day was cool for the first hour then got hot. Last year was a very cool summer. Generally the weather there is about 10 degrees cooler than Atlanta, maybe even a little cooler than that at night.

I don't worry much about how cold it gets there, coming back north is sometimes an adventure. We can have snow by then here in PA.
                        Marty in NW PA
                        This IS my happy face.

Comment

We just sent our reservation request to High Valley for the 14th and 15th. This is a great party every year. Oh, and the riding isn't bad either.

We will bring the V-Strom and maybe the XS11 or maybe not.
                          Bill Murrin
                          Nashville, TN
                          1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
                          1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
                          2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
                          2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
                          1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
                          2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Marty Said:

Atlanta chapter of the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club has a get-together.........

Marty,

Is this rally really sponsored by the VJMC? I never knew that, it was always just Rob hosting it I thought. I guess I better start work on the CB750F...

Rob has a forum set up to discuss the things for this rally:

Vintage Japanese Forum
                            Gary Granger
                            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I thought that is what I read somewhere. If it's Rob and Motorcyclecarbs.com, then THANKS ROB! Great idea! See you soon!
                              Marty in NW PA
                              This IS my happy face.

Comment

Working...
                              X