No announcement yet.

2019 Vintage Yamaha Rally / XS Southeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need to put the pictures on a webhosting site like smug mug. then copy the link from there

Open up the landscape link and paste the link to it. Make sure you delete the double http .
    Last edited by Huron52; 09-20-2019, 10:15 AM. Reason: add more words
    Tom
    2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
    gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Almost time to Rally. A week from today, but some folks arrive sooner.

One way or another, all roads lead to Stecoah NC. So find your road to western NC so you can come join us.

Shirts were ready on Monday so I went and picked those up. Got them to Kurt & Nancy so they could sort the shirts and get them into the Goodie Bags for the people that bought shirts. All the usual details stuff is done or nearly done.

I plan to arrive Iron Horse by Thursday noon. I am looking forward to seeing everyone next week.

btw: I just called the Iron Horse. They have the #200 Semi-Private Cabin available for $89.95. Twin beds so 2 people and split the cost if you are interested in coming. They also have four (4) of the 110v hookup Tent camping sites available if you want to camp. If RV is more your style they have one (1) RV Hookup site available for next weekend. Contact Iron Horse at (828) 479-3864 if you want to reserve a spot for next weekend.

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

New Gear!

Since last year, I have some new gear. You guys won't recognize me.

Kurt/Nancy and Nick (BIL) have been a good influence to lead by example. Both of them have bought new protective gear to be prepared in case of the unthinkable.

I finally have a new jacket and a new modular helmet. Gloves are en route. Pants are still in the future.

I will no longer look like I fit the time period for my bike, but maybe it will save me from a hospital visit or worse.

My bike is ready and so am I. Maybe I'll polish it a little more over the weekend.

See you next Thursday afternoon!
        -Mike
        _________
        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Blue Ridge Parkway

An FYI about the Blue Ridge Parkway

I came down the BRP a couple weeks ago. There are numerous Paving & Striping roadwork projects going on so just be aware you may have to sit 15 minutes or so a few times. I'm not sure about the far northern end at Waynesboro VA but from Fancy Gap where the BRP crosses I-77 south to Asheville there you are likely to hit multiple paving or painting projects. Paving was a Chip & Seal deal but it wasn't oily but it could be if it was hot. If you are looking for a yellow paint job on your bike just follow the paint truck. Fancy Gap I think is MM 199 (or as they call it Mile Post), Boone / Blowing Rock about MM290 and Asheville about MM380. Of course the southern end of the BRP at Cherokee is MM469.

Shouldn't impact the Rally since the 90 mile southern end of the BRP shouldn't have any new construction project until next year and didn't have any a few weeks ago.

Just an FYI if you were thinking of jumping on the BRP for a ways. Recommend having a workable route if you give up and bail off the BRP. Can get into some serious time consuming and bad roads if you bail off the BRP at the wrong spots. Remember BPR is a Federal road so a ticket is a Federal ticket. I don't know the costs or details about what happens if caught for speeding or the other things (maybe wheelie down the highway) but I hear a little jail time could be in the mix for going over the posted limits.

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Parts Van to the rally....

XS11 Friends,
            Nancy and I are preparing for the trip to Stecoah. We rent a van to carry the other bikes, the t-shirts, hats, vendor gifts, and etc.

I'm making a little box of critical spare parts for "Just in Case" for my XS1100. I was in the attic this morning and realized I have darn near enough stuff to build two or three bikes. I have far more spares and extras than I will EVER need.

If there is something you want or need for your XS1100, please shoot me a PM. I'll look to see if I have one. Note: these parts may not be pristine but they would be functional spares or I would have tossed them already. Unless your looking for a fuel tank or a set of carbs, I don't want anything in return except a handshake.

Sincerely,
            Kurt Boehringer
            Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
            1978 - SR500 - Thumper
            1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
            1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
            1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
            1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
            1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
            1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
            1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
            1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
            1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
            1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
            2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

ATGATT - All the gear all the time.

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
              SNIP...... a new modular helmet. .....SNIP
              I will no longer look like I fit the time period for my bike, but maybe it will save me from a hospital visit or worse.
              SNIP Maybe I'll polish it a little more over the weekend.
              Mike,
              LOL LOL LOL..... That Snowmobile helmet/faceshield really was entertaining especially on the BRP when it rained! Maybe Officer Huckabee won't recognize you?

Nancy and I did upgrade our jackets and I purchased a new helmet. I wear the new one when riding alone as I haven't transferred the intercom system to the new one. I'm disappointed with my new helmet as it is EXTREMELY wind noisy and has the new style bayonet fitting I also have come to dislike. Get what ya pay for and this was a "relatively inexpensive" helmet. I have a MELON size head and none of the other manufacturers make a MELON head in the bright yellow color I want. Looking at a SHOEI in White for the next one.

Nancy and I also NORMALLY wear our "Sliders" but I will often "Look Period Correct" with Levi's and UnderSliders.

Geeee. Is there any surprise that "Mike would be polishing his bike"?

Looking forward to seeing you there. Nancy & I arrive on TUESDAY very early A.M to get all the banners up and enjoy a little riding. We'll do bit of road checking too before our friends arrive.

Jeff didn't mention it but WAYAH road is new and PERFECT!
              Last edited by kboehringer; 09-21-2019, 07:37 AM.
              Kurt Boehringer
              Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
              1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
              1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Wahoo, or Wayhoo, or ...

Oooooohhhhh!..... Wayah Road was already on my agenda, even with the previous groovy pavement on the west end.

I probably won't hear Officer Huckabee say the same thing this year, "Didn't think I'd be catching you (an old 750 cruiser), thought I'd be gettin' one o' them sport bikes..." [something like an FZR1000]

My HJC modular helmet also has excessive wind noise. It was the one disappointment about it. I bought a chin guard to redirect some of the wind flow, but it didn't help much.
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Your Meals

Meal selection reminder

The Iron Horse will be emailing you their Dinner Menu options for Friday night & Saturday night.
                  Iron Horse will be updating their dinner menu selections tomorrow and then will send you an email either tomorrow (Mon) or more likely Tuesday. So be looking for your email so you can make your food choices and email them back to the Iron Horse.

Remember Iron Horse isn't a restaurant that serves the general public. They offer Breakfast & Dinner meals to guests. They purchase the food based on the meal count and what people want to eat for dinner.

If you are splitting a cabin with someone else make sure they also get the Dinner Menu so they can select what they want. That helps Iron Horse have enough food to feed everyone what they want.

> be looking for an email by Tuesday
                  > make your selection and email back to Iron Horse on Wed if possible or Thurs
                  > if you have roommate let them know they need to make a meal selection too

For Breakfasts, you can make your breakfast selections for Sat & Sun when you check-in at Iron Horse.

Ride safe ……………….

Jeff
                  Last edited by JeffH; 09-22-2019, 01:46 PM.
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                    An FYI about the Blue Ridge Parkway

I came down the BRP a couple weeks ago. There are numerous Paving & Striping roadwork projects going on so just be aware you may have to sit 15 minutes or so a few times. I'm not sure about the far northern end at Waynesboro VA but from Fancy Gap where the BRP crosses I-77 south to Asheville there you are likely to hit multiple paving or painting projects. Paving was a Chip & Seal deal but it wasn't oily but it could be if it was hot. If you are looking for a yellow paint job on your bike just follow the paint truck. Fancy Gap I think is MM 199 (or as they call it Mile Post), Boone / Blowing Rock about MM290 and Asheville about MM380. Of course the southern end of the BRP at Cherokee is MM469.

Shouldn't impact the Rally since the 90 mile southern end of the BRP shouldn't have any new construction project until next year and didn't have any a few weeks ago.

Just an FYI if you were thinking of jumping on the BRP for a ways. Recommend having a workable route if you give up and bail off the BRP. Can get into some serious time consuming and bad roads if you bail off the BRP at the wrong spots. Remember BPR is a Federal road so a ticket is a Federal ticket. I don't know the costs or details about what happens if caught for speeding or the other things (maybe wheelie down the highway) but I hear a little jail time could be in the mix for going over the posted limits.

Jeff
                    Thanks Jeff! We are planning to do the north half, and it looks like a short section is closed near Roanoke, so a detour at least.

Brian
                    '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

• Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
                      Thanks Jeff! We are planning to do the north half, and it looks like a short section is closed near Roanoke, so a detour at least.

Brian
                      That's my navigator
                      Thanks Jeff we'll report our findings.
                      Phil
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                        Meal selection reminder

The Iron Horse will be emailing you their Dinner Menu options for Friday night & Saturday night.
                        Iron Horse will be updating their dinner menu selections tomorrow and then will send you an email either tomorrow (Mon) or more likely Tuesday. So be looking for your email so you can make your food choices and email them back to the Iron Horse.

Remember Iron Horse isn't a restaurant that serves the general public. They offer Breakfast & Dinner meals to guests. They purchase the food based on the meal count and what people want to eat for dinner.

If you are splitting a cabin with someone else make sure they also get the Dinner Menu so they can select what they want. That helps Iron Horse have enough food to feed everyone what they want.

> be looking for an email by Tuesday
                        > make your selection and email back to Iron Horse on Wed if possible or Thurs
                        > if you have roommate let them know they need to make a meal selection too

For Breakfasts, you can make your breakfast selections for Sat & Sun when you check-in at Iron Horse.

Ride safe ……………….

Jeff
                        And I suppose for Sunday night supper if you are staying until Monday
                        Tom
                        2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                        gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

• Originally posted by Huron52 View Post
                          And I suppose for Sunday night supper if you are staying until Monday
                          The critical meals with the most people for Iron Horse are Friday night and Saturday night. Sunday night meals are offered if there are enough people staying over Sunday night to make it worthwhile. I'd expect the menus we get emailed tomorrow are for Fri & Sat dinners. Breakfast can be ordered when we check in. On Saturday the office will likely have the Sunday meal choices so us Sunday night stayers can make a selection.

Jeff
                          Last edited by JeffH; 09-23-2019, 08:32 PM.
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Up up and away. Packing the essentials and load the bike.
                            Then away I go to Brian's for an early start tomorrow.
                            I see some have already left their homes others are almost there.
                            See you Friday pm
                            Meals selected so check your email.
                            Phil
                            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• At the Iron Horse.... Killing the dragon....

XS Friends,
                              Spoke to the front desk about the missing meal tickets. Should be out tomorrow. Don't worry, if you want to eat they will be able to feed everyone is what I was told. I told PAM we may have a few already on the road. They can fill out the meal form when they check-in no issues.

I also discussed the reservation policy for next year. Not at all bad just a little bit different.
                              • If you stay a weekend, you will deposit ONE(1) day to hold your reservation for next year.
                              • Those of us that stay a week must deposit TWO(2) days to hold that reservation.
                              • If cancelled with anything less than 60 days notice. Deposit Forfeited, PERIOD.
                              • There was a "Rumor" going around that the ENTIRE stay was to be paid completely in advance. THAT IS/WAS NOT EVER THE CASE according to management.

NO GROUP will get a "Black Out Period" to make next years reservations. Everything is still available for next year, if you want to stay again next year be sure to reserve before you leave this year's rally.

- - - - - - - - -
                              Enterprise screwed up and I got an extra long van.... Long enough to bring along three Vintage Bikes including Nancy's Mini-Max.

There are a couple of us here already and I'm personally enjoying my new machine..... took a run at the dragon and bested my top speeds by quite a large margin.... Thankfully.... OFFICER HUCKABEE WAS NOT ON THE DRAGON TODAY!!!! (That's for you Mike!)

Kurt Boehringer
                              Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                              1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                              1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

• Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                                That's my navigator
                                Thanks Jeff we'll report our findings.
                                Phil
                                Glad you put it back together in time Phil!

'78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                                '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                                '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Working...
                                X