Ride FLA 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FLA Rally Summary

Here is a summary of what we have so far. (get it all listed in one place)
    Rally at Lake City over the Mar 2-3-4 weekend then whoever wants to continue riding it will be a Rolling Rally to somewhere.

Sure aren't many $79 rooms anymore in south FLA. Hurricanes, good economy, baby boomer retirees making room costs soar.

Fri Mar 2 - meet in Lake City Florida Days Inn by sunset then group dinner
    Sat Mar 3 - Rally Ride North FLA + group dinner - stay at Days Inn Lake City
    Sun Mar 4 - Rally Ride North FLA - then option to stay till Mon or ride south
    Mon Mar 5 - tbd maybe Port Richey, Bradenton, Okeechobee?
    Tue Mar 6 -tbd with those that plan to ride south
    Wed Mar 7 -tbd with those that plan to ride south
    Thu Mar 8 - ride to Days Inn Clermont on US27 plus group dinner
    Fri Mar 9 - Attend Eustis Swap Meet & Motorcycle Show

Friday March 2nd & Saturday March 3rd (also booked Sun night checkout Mon which we can cancel if we want to ride south)
    Days Inn Lake City I-75 Exit 427
    3144 West US90 Lake City, Florida 32055

Thursday Night March 8th Price $109 + tax
    Days Inn Clermont on US27 (between Clermont & Howey-in-the-Hills)

We've done Florida City & Everglades so many times that with the hurricane and congestion will likely not do that this time. Though it is awesome.

Don & I thinking maybe Tues 6th or Wed 7th Everglade City in that expensive cinder block motel for something different. They just got their hurricane damage fixed. We've attended the Seafood Festival there but never stayed over. Great place to hang out. Maybe take Air Boat Ride. Then E-Z bike ride to Clermont from there.

Saturday ride could be back roads Osceola National Forest and zig-zag around St Mary's River then over for lunch at Ronnies in Green Cove Springs on the St Johns River then back roads by Starke and stop at Olustee Battlefield site on the way back to Days Inn Lake City. Whatever, that's a thought.

Again, a lot depends on who is attending, how much time they have and what they would like to do. Normally we stay away from cities and congestion as we prefer riding the back roads looking for alligators, pythons, iguana, oranges and grapefruit.

If you have anY Rally ideas or suggestions please Post or PM me

Jeff
    Last edited by JeffH; 12-17-2017, 08:33 PM.
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

I have booked a room with 3 beds for the Lake City Friday and Saturday nights. Phil, Cobia and myself plan to ride up on Friday. Hope to see you all then. I have a separate booking for Sunday night just in case. All the reservations I can cancel 24 hours ahead so if we decide to go south on Sunday morning, I can cancel it on Saturday.
      Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Rally Overview

> If you plan to Trailer to the Rally and need parking, Don has once again generously offered parking at his place in Tallahassee (US27 north of I-10)

> Have ride Options to fit your schedule: (A) Weekend Rally Mar 2-3-4 in Lake City, then (B) Rolling Rally option Mar 5-6-7-8, then (C) Eustis Bike Show & Swap meet Mar 9. Pick A, B, C, or any combination. A Hop-On, Hop-Off kind of event.

> I plan to ride south from Atlanta to Lake City (back roads) on Fri 2nd
        > I plan to ride north to Atlanta after the Eustis Bike Show on Fri Mar 9th - Sat Mar 10th

> As already mentioned Saturday Rally ride possibly up to Okefenokee Swamp area on the FL- GA Line (hey wouldn't that be a great name for a Band?) then Sunday maybe to Steinhatchee for lunch at Roy's or whatever.

> Mon 5th plan to ride south on back roads via Trenton, Hernando, Webster to maybe Lakeland on Monday. Haven't made a reservation yet but maybe Hojo US98 @ i-4. Can park bike in front of room there. Beats looking at your bike from the 9th floor somewhere else.

> Plan really depends on who is showing up and how many days they have to ride. Rooms are going to get sold out quickly and they are pricey this year. Thinking Mon night in Lakeland, Tue maybe lunch in Ybor City at Columbia (the Spanish place) the motel in Punta Gorda maybe dinner at the Callalou Caribbean (Trinidad style) has assorted Jerk and Goat too

> Don & I may head to Everglade City for Wed Mar 7th. Haven't tried to book that yet but likely if I can snag a room I'll do it. Then easy 200 mile ride on Thurs Mar 8th to Clermont.

> Too bad we can't just pitch a tent in somebody's backyard but in Florida that could be hazardous to your well being. Deadly critters always on the prowl for an easy mark.

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Jeff, I'd like to be out there in March but it's hard for me to plan.
          -- Scott
          _____
          ♬
          2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
          ♬

Comment

If you are lurking and thinking about participating in the Mar 2-9 Florida Rally & Ride well: better get booking.

Fri night Mar 2 - Days Inn Lake City
            Sat night Mar 3 - Days Inn Lake City

but we already knew that

Sunday the group will take a leisurely back roads ride south from Lake City to Lakeland.
            200 miles / 6 hours with lunch & stops.

NEW:
            Sunday March 4th $90 + tax park bike in front of room place

Howard Johnson Lakeland I-4 at Exit 32 / US98
            939 West Robson Street Lakeland, Florida 33805
            +1-863-333-9878

btw: a maybe / might go to Ybor City to Columbia Restaurant for lunch on Monday. Don would like to do that stop again.

For Mon night 5th, will see if Knights Inn Punta Gorda is available there on Jones Loop Rd I-75 Exit 161. Have stayed there on our FLA Ride before and works out well. (as long as the rider remembers to latch the lid on his side bag) at least nobody hit it on Jones Loop. Would really like to stay over one night in Everglade City but that is $200. Don & I split that but $100 each is still a bit steep. Will see if they have a room Tues or Wed night. Need to check motel situation in Fort Myers , Naples, Immokalee post hurricane for those not interested in Everglade City. Okeechobee is also an option. Planning to stay away from Florida City, Keys and Everglades this year.

Then (we already knew this) Thursday Night March 8th Price $109 + tax

Friday is the Bike Show & Swap Meeting in Eustis then I will head north for Atlanta. Don start back towards Tallahassee.
            Probably stay Fri night 9th in Valdosta GA then ride home Sat.

Jeff
            Last edited by JeffH; 12-28-2017, 07:16 PM.
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Dreaming of sunny days and lazy breezes through the Palm trees...but Fl is always too pricey for this cheapo...but your trip to the sun and fun is enticing nonetheless....
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Never gonna happen, but this still catches my eye every year. Spent a year in Florida, in school, many years ago. It wasn't motorcycle time until 30 years later!
                80 SG
                81 SH in parts
                99 ST1100
                91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                  Never gonna happen, but this still catches my eye every year. Spent a year in Florida, in school, many years ago. It wasn't motorcycle time until 30 years later!
                  yes we have a lot of FUN As you know, there are a lot of interesting roads in Florida. Unfortunately most peoples impression of driving in Florida is in a traffic mess or some conflagration on I-75 or I-4 or I-95 or I-10. Guess I've put this Rally & Ride together for something like 10 years. Covered most of the interesting roads in FLA. (even one time did 15 miles on sand off Bermont Rd to save an hour of driving nobody fell over. while most were riding in the right track Brent being Brent wobbled over to the left track, cigar smoke bellowing out, camera in one hand and throttle in the other, rooster tail shooting off his back tire, handle bars wobbling side to side due to the ruts in the sand. As he went by the whole group taking a few pictures of each rider as he flew by. Fun times. It was really a farm access lane. guy driving road grader about 10 miles in did this seeing a conga line of bikes fighting to stay up ).

Have made it kind of a Hop-On, Hop-Off Rally which has made it successful i think. Plus Don offering truck-trailer parking at his place in Tallahassee has made it E-Z for those that need to trailer in from icy and snowy places.

Over the years we have explored the Gulf Coast west side of the state, the Atlantic Coast on the east side of the state and the explored the middle of the state then criss-crossed & zig-zagged on most of the roads in between. And the gotta do US Hwy 1 to Key West a bunch of times.

Kind of tough motorcycle ride from NY in the middle of winter. Best to keep the bike parked when its 30 below and 5 feet of snow.

Jeff
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Florida Rally 2018

Motels:
                    Fri Mar 2 - Days Inn Lake City
                    Sat Mar 3 - Days Inn Lake City
                    Sun Mar 4 - Howard Johnson Lakeland
                    Mon Mar 5 - Super 8 Naples
                    Tue Mar 6 -Super 8 Naples
                    Wed Mar 7 -TBD by riders (on Sun or Mon)
                    Thu Mar 8 - Days Inn Clermont

new:
                    Super 8 Naples I-75 exit 101 at Collier Blvd $95+ tax
                    3880 Tollgate (yes by the tollgate) but we ride down Collier
                    ph: (239) 300-2588

General Plan:
                    Fri Mar 2 - meet in Lake City and have group dinner
                    Sat Mar 3 - leisurely swamp & forest group ride and lunch on St Johns River
                    Sun Mar 4 - leisurely 200 mile back roads ride south to Lakeland
                    Mon Mar 5 - leisurely 200 mile back roads ride to Naples
                    Tue Mar 6 - 100 mile tour to Smallwood Store Chokoloskee, lunch Everglade City, across Big Cypress, Miccosukee Village, Alligator pit
                    Wed Mar 7 - tbd (i might visit relatives in Punta Gorda or Sarasota)
                    Thu Mar 8 - ride up to Clermont and have group dinner in Clermont
                    Fri Mar 9 - Attend Eustis Swap Meet & Motorcycle Show

Something like that might work out ok. Two nights in Naples is cheaper than one night in Everglade City.
                    Also, if you don't like the motels there are more expensive Wyndham & Choice motels or other brands available near us each night.
                    Also might stop at the huge Florida's Natural OJ plant north of Lake Wales if we end up near there in our travels' Free Samples

Jeff
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Hi JeffH
                      Good find for Motel in Naples. Naples used to be the expensive end of
                      Gulf Coast has that changed ? Sunset from the Pier is a popular local activity.
                      Pretty but no street entertainers like Mallory.

Phil
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                        Hi JeffH
                        Good find for Motel in Naples. Naples used to be the expensive end of
                        Gulf Coast has that changed ?

Phil
                        YES it changed. YES, and has gone up, up, up in price. Days Inn $260 a night. Ramada $240. Quality $122 Pay now - NO refund or its $160. These are base rates so need to add Tax and Occupancy fees ...... and these are the CHEAP places off the interstate. Head down towards the water and it goes UP significantly. can you say $300 to $400 a night? I say ouch.

Jeff
                        Last edited by JeffH; 12-30-2017, 11:38 AM.
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Motels booked, looking forward to some warm and sunny weather.

Ted and Heather

Comment

Motels & tentative Plan

Friday March 2nd & Saturday March 3rd

Sunday March 4th
                            Howard Johnson Lakeland I-4 at Exit 32 / US98
                            939 West Robson Street Lakeland, Florida 33805
                            +1-863-333-9878

Monday March 5th & Tuesday March 6th
                            Super 8 Naples I-75 exit 101 at Collier Blvd $95+ tax
                            3880 Tollgate (yes by the tollgate) but we ride south down Collier
                            ph: (239) 300-2588

Wednesday March 7th
                            TBD depending on what everybody wants to do
                            We can Plan & Book this when we meet in Lake City
                            Have a lot of options (Bradenton, Fort Myers, Okeechobee, Fla City if anybody wanted to go to Flamingo (if not hurricane damaged))

Thursday Night March 8th Price $109 + tax

Fri 2: meet in Lake City by sunset and have group dinner (maybe Gondolier if y'all want Italian)
                            Sat 3: back roads group ride to Georgia, Okefenokee Swamp maybe lunch in Green Springs Cove on St Johns river
                            Sun 4: e-z 9:30am start and back roads ride to Lakeland
                            Mon 5: back roads ride to Naples (i promise no sand paths)
                            Tue 6: explore Everglade City & Chokoloskee
                            Wed 7: TBD by group after meeting in Lake City
                            Thu 8: Ride to Clermont and have group dinner
                            Fri 9: attend Eustis International Bike Show & Swap Meet say 10am till 3:30pm then head home

Guess that's it in the nutshell. Whatever y'all want to do, well that's what we will do.

Please join us! Just Book 'em, Danno!

Jeff
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Atlanta to Lake City

Heading to this years Florida Rally
                              Just thinking about what I might do on Friday March 2nd. Georgia back roads of course. Would like to get to Lake City by 6pm, 6:30pm at the latest.

Thinking about having three Atlanta (or anybody else joining us along the way) meet points. Accommodate the 'early risers' and the 'later starters' so we can ride as a group, if possible. Its not much of a conga line when the bikes are 50 miles apart, or on different set of roads.

1) 8:45 Shell at Holcomb Bridge @ Spalding Drive in Peachtree Corners
                              2) 9:45 Chic-fil-A on Turner Hill Rd GA124 at I-20 in Lithonia
                              3) 12:30 say Zaxby's on US441 at the I-16 exit 51 in Dublin
                              Could move these say 15-20 minutes earlier to give more goof-off time (guess that means eating or talking) enroute.

Plan to cross Arabia Mtn, then 212, Oconee Forest, more or less near Broxton and maybe Fargo and time permitting would like to ride Buckeye Road, Scotland Road, and the Woodpecker Route along the Suwannee River out of the Okefenokee Swamp into Florida. Once rolling, 100 great options to pick from. I promise, No sand tracks - No swamp road.

Need to start working on my xs11's so I don't have to be riding another brand like I did last year.

Great Riding Opportunity if you want to ride.
                              Come join us. For a few hours riding, for the day or meet us for dinner along the way.
                              Mar 2-9

Jeff
                              Last edited by JeffH; 01-17-2018, 04:45 PM.
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Hi Jeff,
                                Sadly can not make it this year. You do make it sound so enticing
                                Now I have to google your route

Phil
                                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                                X