Ride FLA 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride FLA 2018

Any interest in a late February / early March Florida Meet n' Ride? Getting five or more xs1100's together would be a good thing.

Meet up in either Tallahassee (like last year) or maybe Ocala or in that general area. Possibly could go south to Florida City if we felt like doing that.

There is also nice riding between say Cedar Key and St. Augustine and also nice riding in FLA Panhandle and into south Georgia and lower Alabama.

Either Feb 22-23-24-25-26 (or some combination of those days) or maybe even better the following weekend March 1-2-3-4-5.

Its highly likely a few of us regulars are already planning to take a FLA ride but want to see if anybody else might be interested.
    More details will be posted after I make a few phone calls.

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

I like the Northern or Central Florida idea, panhandle is fine too. Jonathan would probably be ok with this as well as Cobia.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I talked with Don last night about Rally dates. He is ok with either Feb 23-24-25 or March 2-3-4. Actually any days Feb 22 to March 8.
      Though he did say in addition to the Rally & rally ride that he would like to take a trip too.

Options: maybe if the south FLA riders come up to Tallahassee area (or Ocala 0r Panhandle) for a Rally then we could ride back to south FLA as a group. That way we all get a good ride. Don also mentioned maybe going west along the Gulf Coast a ways but that would depend on what the south FLA riders want to do. So we have lots options depending on Who wants to Rally, Where they are riding from and their Time availability.

If Don & I (maybe others) ended up after the rally in Ft Myers or Florida City or Okeechobee that would be ok too.

Ted & Heather plan to be at the Rally. Hopefully Steve and Mike are available. Maybe Brent can join the ride south from Atlanta. (that would be nice)

btw: I just tossed out meeting up on Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon as an option but if other days are better like Tue-Wed-Thur or any combination of the above,
      that would be fine too.
      Just let us know.

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Fla 2018

I would love to participate if I can work it out. Had a blast last year.

Steve

Comment

Hi JeffH,
          Wish I could join this parade.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I'd probably be up for either date. May be a lot for just Phil and into ride all the way to Tally to turn around a day or so later to head for an easy ride back to S. FL. Would be nice if Phil and I can take all that time away from the south. I'll know for sure if I can make it all the way to Tally and back or maybe just meet in Central Florida like we did a couple years back and ride south. Would not mind though spending a day or so up with Don and the chickens. Maybe we can cook something besides leather this time.
            Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

We are still working on the Florida Rally & Ride details

As always, some people have 2-3 days available while others can take off 4 or 5 days or more.
              So maybe a 2-3 day Rally meet with everybody then a bonus 2-3 day Trip for those that have additional time.

Lake City FLA might be an option for the Rally destination. Nice riding and good roads up into Georgia or east to St Augustine or west to Gulf Coast say Cedar Key. Lake City is about 1/2 way between Miami & Atlanta where we get most of the riders. Then whoever wants to ride a few more days can ride south with the south FLA guys and hang out in Florida City or Ft Myers or Okeechobee.

Still looking like either Feb 23-25 or the following weekend Mar 2-4 plus whatever bonus Trip days you can take.
              If you think you might be able to attend, pencil in those dates. We want to avoid that old "gee I wish I had known about this".

Jeff
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

OK, so, when will you firm up the date and place? I'm looking at flying down and renting a bike.
                "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                1981 LH

Comment

Ride Fla 2018

I will follow this and see where things end up. We would likely be more interested in the Gulf side, but not a deal breaker. I'm sick of winter already!

Comment

Florida Ride Update

Daytona Bike Week starts on March 9. We certainly don't want to there in Florida when that mess starts.
                    It just becomes a circus, heavier traffic and lack of motel rooms, long waits at restaurants. BTDT and got the shirt. It is best to OUT of North & Central Florida and Southern Georgia before that onslaught begins.

Participants: so far there have been no particular preferences suggested for the Rally date. (Feb 23-24 or Mar 2-3) So just going to throw a dart; and the winner is: meet up Friday March 2.

Throw another dart and winning location is: Lake City Florida.

We've stayed at the Days Inn before. So lets say the place is: Days Inn
                    Days Inn Lake City I-75 Exit 427
                    3144 West US90 Lake City, Florida 32055

There are also a couple other Wyndham properties at Exit 427 as well as a Comfort Inn if you'd rather do something else. I'm going to book that Days Inn on US90 @ I-75 tonight.

General plan would be to group Ride on Saturday. Maybe NE on Gum Swamp or maybe Corky Bell's in Palatka for lunch or St Augustine. Something like that depending on temps and our level of motivation.

Sunday depending on who wants to continue to ride we can either take another Day Ride or head south on backroads to maybe Homosassa Springs or Port Richey or maybe Bradenton on the Gulf side or maybe Stuart on the Atlantic side. We can plan this after we find out who's interested and how many days they have available.

Goal here is to include as many 2-3 day XSives as we can then for those with more time plan an additional few days or at least take a group ride Rolling Rally style.

So if you might be interested we'd recommend booking a room at Lake City FLA for Fri Mar 2nd, Sat Mar 3rd and Sun Mar 4. That way if we decide to check out Sun AM and ride south we can do that. If not, we also have a room for Sunday night, checkout Mon AM.

Jeff
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Nice Jeff...Build it and they will come...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

VMA & VJMC March 9-10

Florida Riders
                        fyi, in case you are interested.

If we have a group ride south after the Rally Mar 6-7-8 it would be possible to
                        include this before we head for home. Likely Don & I will try to do this event if we can. Something to consider as you make your Rally Plans & Reservations.

Vintage Swap Meet & Motorcycle Show
                        Eustis FL near Leesburg
                        March 9 & 10

https://vjmc.org/event/destination-e...and-bike-show/

VMA & VJMC say: International Swap Meet and Bike Show
                        The Vintage Motorcycle Alliance and the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club have teamed to present a world class swap meet and motorcycle show. This event is for motorcycle enthusiasts of all ages and includes all manufactured motorcycles. The venue is family friendly and sits in the Florida heart land in Lake County Florida and the City of Eustis. Both the City of Eustis and Lake County have extended a warm welcome to VMA and VJMC as well all those who attend Destination Eustis.
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                          Florida Riders
                          fyi, in case you are interested.

If we have a group ride south after the Rally Mar 6-7-8 it would be possible to
                          include this before we head for home. Likely Don & I will try to do this event if we can. Something to consider as you make your Rally Plans & Reservations.

Vintage Swap Meet & Motorcycle Show
                          Eustis FL near Leesburg
                          March 9 & 10

https://vjmc.org/event/destination-e...and-bike-show/

VMA & VJMC say: International Swap Meet and Bike Show
                          The Vintage Motorcycle Alliance and the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club have teamed to present a world class swap meet and motorcycle show. This event is for motorcycle enthusiasts of all ages and includes all manufactured motorcycles. The venue is family friendly and sits in the Florida heart land in Lake County Florida and the City of Eustis. Both the City of Eustis and Lake County have extended a warm welcome to VMA and VJMC as well all those who attend Destination Eustis.

Jeff

Want to join us for the Bike Show & Swap Meet??
                          Confucius say: Better to Book and Cancel if your plans change, than wait and not find a motel

I just booked Days Inn Clermont on US27. For Thursday Night March 8th Price $109 + tax

That motel is actually between Clermont and Howey-in-the-Hills on FL Hwy 19
                          From Days Inn Clermont to the Bike Show / Swap Meet is 20 miles / 30 minutes
                          Plan would be to leave Days Inn by 9:30am Fri Mar 9th and be at the Bike Show until 3pm or 4pm
                          Say Adios then start the ride home

Join us Friday if you can or book Days Inn Clermont for Thurs night

All that is left is to figure out a Ride Plan Mon, Tue & Wed March 5-6 & 7.
                          That's not normally too big a problem

?maybe meet Ernie for dinner Thurs night

observation: major motel price creep going on. Baby Boomers doing their bucket list travel
                          My lousy flea bag truck stop motel on I-75 at FL44 that was $59 or $69 is now $151. wow that's a jump

My plan is to attend the show with Don on Friday March 9 then late in the afternoon get out of that area before the Daytona crowd starts trailering in.

Jeff
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Humm...

I think I can do that Jeff! Hope to have my 11 back together and ready to roll, guess I better get moving after the Holidays.
                            1979 XS110F, Stock
                            1980 XS1100G, Mostly Stock, gifted to my son.
                            2000 YZ 250, Sold
                            2002 YZ125, Sold
                            2009 Royal Star Venture
                            '94 Pontiac Trans Am, 25th Anniversary, For Sale

Ernie

Comment

Count me in.

Hey JeffH and other XSessives,
                              Count me in for whenever and whatever you decide for this ride. I'm long overdue for a rally with you guys. I'll coordinate with Phil and others down in south FL.
                              1980G Standard, Restored
                              Kerker 4 - 1
                              850 Rear End Mod
                              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                              Automatic CCT
                              1980GH Special, Restored
                              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
                              X