Key West Rally 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sure miss riding with you guys.

Damn !!! I was already to go, even put on a new tire in the back.
    Then the afternoon before departure day, I threw out my lower back.
    I had to cancel because I know my back wasn't going to like the 4 to 5 hour ride.
    Next year for sure, now that you've abandoned Key West as your FL ride. Looks a lot nicer riding country up in the panhandle.
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Panhandle Rally Recap

THANKS to everyone that attended and/or followed along with our recent 2017 Spring XSSE Rally.

I certainly had a great time and I hope everyone else did too.

The entire 983 miles was great riding and it was nice to have Mike covering my 6 as we zipped along on those fantastic rural Georgia back roads to/from Tallahassee.

~ FYI, this spring SE Rally is normally a Key West Rally taking a few days riding to get from GA/FL Line down to Key West. Last couple years we had an Ocala mini-Rally then 3 day ride to KW. This Tallahassee & Panhandle Rally worked out great too.

~ We don't make rally shirts because in Key West shirts are 3 for $10, plus there is a large variety available in KW.

~ Awards? Some times we have had Awards event held poolside at Spanish Gardens motel KW. But never done that regularly.

Of particular note this year we have one (1) Award. The Hot Shoe (or Smoking Boot) Award

The recipient of this prestigious Smoking Boot Award goes to none other than:

our own Bikerphil

CONGRATULATIONS to Bikerphil a couple trips to the shoe store and all was made right ................

Don't forget the fall SE Rally at the Iron Horse Stecoah NC September 22-23-24-25
      Hope to see you there.

Was bummed that Cobia couldn't make it but hope to hook up with him for a ride later this year.

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Nice follow-up Jeff. Lookin' like maybe Bikerphil be needin' some Sketchers for future shoe-draggin'.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Yep, boots had a meltdown sitting atop the wood burning stove at Don's after they got soaked on the trip up. Then the new pair was two different sizes and didn't realize until 50 miles away so finally exchanged them at a closer store. It made for a few good laughs.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            Yep, boots had a meltdown sitting atop the wood burning stove at Don's after they got soaked on the trip up. Then the new pair was two different sizes and didn't realize until 50 miles away so finally exchanged them at a closer store. It made for a few good laughs.

S M O K I N' - - - - Literally eh?

Not funny, but it was interesting (maybe a bit amusing) watching Phil trying to walk in those melted up boots

Now he has a new pair of boots to maybe "hot foot" at the SE Rally in September.
            I don't see any clause that excludes anyone from winning this award twice in one year.
            Though the award was for figurative hot footin' not literally melting the boots.

Stuff like this is what makes our Rallies memorable.

Jeff
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Crisp...

2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

Other riders will step back in awe of your riding skills when you wear those boots with long pants.
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                  Other riders will step back in awe of your riding skills when you wear those boots with long pants.
                  Yep, I've caught my boot a few times in the turns, not to that extent though
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                    Yep, I've caught my boot a few times in the turns, not to that extent though
                    Well Phil, kinda' like ridin' a horse.......with boots in stirrup, toes ALWAYS straight forward or angled up.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Bet you've smoked up the bottom of some boots dirt tracking. WOT, bike thrown over in the curve and hot shoe dragging. btw: that is fun to watch Thinking back in the day you really tore it up on the dirt.

Phil can sure 'cut a rug' in twisties. Outside of those boots leaving a smoke trail in those tight off camber / decreasing radius turns on the Dragon or other Georgia or North Carolina mountain roads. His bikes are set up well for that. Boot in the stirrups, facing forward, angled up and still getting smoke pouring off the outer side of the boot. hot footing

Jeff
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Never flat-tracked Jeff.......just a few decades of moto-x, which was crazy enough, even at 51yrs.old. Normally made the winners circle, but felt even then I was still invincible and 'bullet proof'. Of course, as you know, found out otherwise two summers ago while on the ST.

Comment

Working...
                        X