Key West Rally 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key West Rally 2017

Hadn't seen anyone post it yet so I thought I'd bring it up. Any northern friends looking to get out of the cold. Last year it was in late February. Key West is still very expensive. I was even looking through VRBO and others to find rental houses but most are well over $300 per night for 2 queen rooms. Looe Key is still an option as it runs about $154 plus tax a night for their 2 queen rooms.

For Florida City, hotels like Knights Inn are around $81 while Super 8 is around $120

So just wanted to throw it out there. Anyone looking to come down in late February to mid-March time frame?

Any suggestions?

-Jonathan
    Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Yep, got me ........ I wasn't sure what I would be doing in Feb so i got lazy and didn't coordinate the Florida + Key West Rally as i had for quite a number of years. Instead of maybe the usual meet up in North FLA with rally ride then Rolling Rally to Key West there might be some interest in South FLA Rally only. Right now I'm where the "sun don't shine" so its doubtful i will be riding to Florida this year. Been lucky to do the entire KW Rally nine times. about 2,000 miles each time so that has been some 18K of good fun & riding & XSive fellowship. though I got my sights on Colorado Rally in July again. Kremmling

I talked with Don over the weekend and he is interested in Feb riding if there is a N FLA or S FLA Rally get together.

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Perhaps as a better idea we can do a northern Florida run this year in early Spring versus the Winter time Keys trip. Maybe Phil and I along with others would be interested in that. Thing is, I don't know the roads or places that may be fun to travel but I am sure Don does.

Would there be any interest in that from our usual Key West rally goers?

-Jonathan

Comment

Brent and I just talked about maybe a ride down to Tallahassee to see Don. No date yet.

Though roads more interesting around Ocala into south Georgia and Okeefenokee Swamp. Or Dons then out to St George Island and into Dauphin Island Alabama and Pascagoula Miss. Like I took on the XS Galveston Rally we did in 2012 vs going to Key West.

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

A ride north is fine with me, or south,
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Heather and I are planning to be in Florida around the 8th. We would be interested in repeating last years ride - Punta Gorda - Florida City - Looe Key (Key West) and back to Florida City and then North. We don't have fixed plans after, but are thinking of traillering farther west. Perhaps meet at Knights Inn Punta Gorda the evening of Thursday Feb 9 or Friday Feb 10.

The Motels all seem to have availability although prices are all up.

Ted and Heather.

Comment

Hey Ted. Doesn't seem like the north Florida /Georgia people want to come south this year. I'm not sure I can make a run next wee around Florida though either. Wish I could join you.

Comment

I talked with Brent but unfortunately neither one of us can make south Florida this year.
                Not for the lack of interest; we just got other things going on.
                However, maybe in March could maybe get to FLA pan-handle or southern AL.

Jeff
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Hi

We are still heading South and West next week and will trailer towards Dallas first. Returning to Canada first or second week of March. We will watch and see if anything develops for the beginning of March for a Florida - Key West meet.

Ted

Comment

Hi Ted,
                    Have fun and enjoy the warm
                    Post some pictures of where ever you end up riding.

Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

March 2-3-4-5 maybe meet up at Don's in Tallahassee. Ride to St George Island and Appalachiacola or a TBD in SW Georgia, southern Alabama or the Panhandle.

Wife & I met up with Ted & Heather for lunch today as they began their southwesterly journey out of snow country. Need to talk with Don tomorrow to check his availability. I'm thinking I can make it down to the Panhandle on March 2 to get in a few days of riding with whoever might be available Mar 3-4 and 5.

Three weeks from today.

Jeff
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Florida Panhandle: March 2-3-4-5

Talked with Don today. He has the dates on his calendar. He also offered truck / trailer parking at his place north of Tallahassee for those that might trailer.

Likely I will ride down from Atlanta on March 2 and return Mar 5. In the past we have stayed i-10 exit 199 at US27. Hojo, Red Roof, Rodeway or Microtel plus many others right together there on US27. Ted & Heather plan to join us.

So post or PM me if you are interested in joining up with us. Could do a couple day rides and return to Tallahassee or venture along the Gulf Coast on US98 for an overnight in Panama City. We will figure that out after determining who is available to ride.

Jeff
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Jeff, I may be able to make this, l will check with Jonathan and Cobia and see if they are interested.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                            Florida Panhandle: March 2-3-4-5

Talked with Don today. He has the dates on his calendar. He also offered truck / trailer parking at his place north of Tallahassee for those that might trailer.

Likely I will ride down from Atlanta on March 2 and return Mar 5. In the past we have stayed i-10 exit 199 at US27. Hojo, Red Roof, Rodeway or Microtel plus many others right together there on US27. Ted & Heather plan to join us.

So post or PM me if you are interested in joining up with us. Could do a couple day rides and return to Tallahassee or venture along the Gulf Coast on US98 for an overnight in Panama City. We will figure that out after determining who is available to ride.

Jeff
                            I just spoke with Don. He is a GO. I am a GO. I will ride down to Tallahassee on Thurs Mar 2nd. Back roads GA41 Woodlands - Morgan into Bainbridge. Real nice spring ride with only a few tiny bergs. Welcome to join me for that.

Don is thinking just do a Friday - Saturday maybe Sunday day rides. Lots of great roads & scenery in south GA, AL and Gulf Coast to see. Then end up back at Dons or Tallahassee. Don graciously willing to put two at his place.

That's the plan. Week to GO. Don't miss a ride opportunity.

Jeff
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

I chatted a bit with Phil. We both may be able to make it. I'd just want to get back on the 5th because my daughter is coming home from college and staying home for the week from the 5th on.

Comment

Working...
                              X